Match Thread: Villa v Swansea FAC

limpid

Our trouble seems to be that we either rush too much and lose possession, or go to the other extreme and we're far too ponderous. That wasn't the case when Smith came in, as we generally seemed to dictate the tempo well. I assume tiredness is a factor (which is also why our pressing seems so lacklustre and disjointed) as is Whelan who slows down play a lot and plays quite negatively. I think we're also nervous because we're aware how poor the defence is, so we're not playing as high up the pitch as we did a few weeks ago.

El Ghazi has lost form but he is capable of producing something.

Hogan is so limited. Struggling up front on his own as expected, especially when we can't hold possession in midfield and find him that way. I'd like to see Davis on, either to support or replace him, but we need to step up the pitch and regain some control either way. Would also be in favour of Lansbury on for Whelan. It takes a little more defensive cover away but perhaps McGinn could drop in there and then do some carrying forward, which he's strong at, with Lansbury and O'Hare as options ahead of him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

How are we playing? O'Hare ok?

Physically a little underwhelming but making up for it somewhat with tracking and pressing. The best on the ball for Villa so far.

edit; that’s O’Hare by the way, the team performance has been shocking.

Edited by a m ole

Like in the past couple of games it feels as if Bruce is still in charge. I know some of the players have played a lot recently but what’s happened to the high press or trying to play it out from the back? 

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

our midfield is simply not good enough....

it gives the defence no protection what so ever......that is why an already fragile defence looks even worse than it actually is !!!!!

1,000% spot on.

and the biggest worry and where mistakes are being made in decisions is, the game is not being read properly, by some, so innocent players are getting the blame.

Teams play us as if we are there for the taking.

Sad thing is they are correct.

Obviously I'm dissappointed but I'm not surprised.

Not sure why certain people get so wound up by certain players being shite as if said players are on their debuts. It's nothing new.

Alot of work to be done, and players to be signed, it's going to take time .

Also, why be shocked that players who are making debuts or finally getting thwir chance in the tea m are nervous?

Personally haven't seen Hogan do alot wrong aside from have a couple of unlucky situation but getting slaughtered

Performance of the midfield affects the forwards.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

We're just as poor as we were with Bruce.

This is player problems....some can't even do the basics.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

1,000% spot on.

and the biggest worry and where mistakes are being made in decisions is, the game is not being read properly, by some, so innocent players are getting the blame.

Whelan’s protection of the back 4 seems to amount to just making sure no pass enters the D and not much more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Teams play us as if we are there for the taking.

Sad thing is they are correct.

Obviously I'm dissappointed but I'm not surprised.

Not sure why certain people get so wound up by certain players being shite as if said players are on their debuts. It's nothing new.

Alot of work to be done, and players to be signed, it's going to take time 

Its a big job.

but certain traits of what we have done in the past in the transfer market have to change.

• Like 1