Pre-match thread

MaVilla

Personally would give this a go:

Kalinic

Bree      Elphick     Hause   Taylor

Whelan

Bolasie  El Ghazi  Lansbury  Adomah

Kodjia

For me Bree needs to play at right back, he is now our first choice right back and needs to play there.

Elphick and Hause will need to get used to playing at the back and in front of Kalinic. Chester needs a rest.

Whelan should be fresh at DM.

Bolasie and Adomah should be pretty fresh out wide.

Lansbury can come in and give an unfit Bjarnasson a break, but he could play if Lansbury isn't fit. El Ghazi through the middle is something I would like to try whilst Grealish is out, this is the perfect chance to see how it works.

Kodjia up top, get his confidence up. Otherwise we also have Davis and Hogan looking for game time.

Be a shame if o hare is out injured, this would be perfect for him; Same with landsbury.

Davis needs to start. He is the closest we have to Tammy and needs to be given time to play. Problem is Hogan needs the same. However it's not impossible these 2 could play as a partnership in the unlikely event of playing 2 up; would help with the lack of midfield options too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Depending n the away fans, this one looks like it might now be up to 40k. 

That's quite something.

Probably officially, but I reckon there'll be a fair few thousand ST holders who won't turn up.

• Like 2

Going on who might need a rest makes interesting/worrying reading.

We have 12 players this season who have started 10 or more games.

Four of those are currently injured
Nyland 23 starts
Grealish 21
Tuanzebe 19
Taylor 12

and one is just back from injury
Adomah 11 starts

Of the remaining 7, the starting numbers are concerning
Chester 25
Hutton 25
McGinn 23
Abraham 20
Elmohamady 19
Hourihane 18
Kodjia 17

I'd be resting as many as Smith thinks he can get away with, without throwing the tie.

• Like 2

Our ability to rest players will to a large extent rest on the fitness of those that may or may not be available to start this one. On the at risk register we have:

• Taylor
  • Lansbury
  • Jedinak
  • O'Hare
  • Doyle-Hayes

And there's every chance that Hause won't be here by match day.

If we have all of those available, rest becomes easier - if not, it becomes almost impossible - especially in the middle of the park.

There's also a risk in playing four or five players just back from injury all in the same game - what we don't want is to have to make two substitutions in the first half and bring on the players we were hoping to rest.

Kalinic
Elmo
Bree
Elphick
Revan
BB
Whelan
JDH
Albert
Kodjia
Hogan

If we use the changes as an excuse to put in a pathetic nothing performance like we did last year I will be **** fuming. I expect to progress despite the changes, I have no doubt Swansea will put out a scratch team too.

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Personally, I still love the FA Cup - 3rd rnd day is special 

It is to me, too. I was born (in Aston) on a 3rd round Saturday. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Personally would give this a go:

Kalinic

Bree      Elphick     Hause   Taylor

Whelan

Bolasie  El Ghazi  Lansbury  Adomah

Kodjia

For me Bree needs to play at right back, he is now our first choice right back and needs to play there.

Elphick and Hause will need to get used to playing at the back and in front of Kalinic. Chester needs a rest.

Whelan should be fresh at DM.

Bolasie and Adomah should be pretty fresh out wide.

Lansbury can come in and give an unfit Bjarnasson a break, but he could play if Lansbury isn't fit. El Ghazi through the middle is something I would like to try whilst Grealish is out, this is the perfect chance to see how it works.

Kodjia up top, get his confidence up. Otherwise we also have Davis and Hogan looking for game time.

Agree with the defence, but although Whelan didn't feature against QPR he did play huge chunks of the previous four games and at 34 a rest wouldn't do no harm, but as another poster has mentioned it is all dependant on who is fit and available. El Ghazi in a central role is an interesting one, though I would be surprised to see it. Biggest thing for me though is that this is a perfect chance for Hogan and/or Davis to get some playing time.

No doubt Swansea will be reciprocating us by resting some of their first team squad so with this is in mind I am confident we can put in a positive performance and have enough to see us through to the next round.

Assuming everyone is fit, i would rest the "A" team, and probably go something like:

Steer

Elmo - Revan - Bedeau - Hutton

Lansbury - Whelan - Doyle Hayes

Adomah - Hogan - Kodjia

Reason for Hutton, is if Taylor & Bree are fit for the following game, i would play those over Hutton.

I might even play Davis in place of Adomah or Kodjia, would defo use him in a sub capacity if nothing else.

7 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

I don't think I have ever been less interested in a 3rd round FA Cup tie in my life. This weekend will be as dull as an international break.

I'm not so sure Pac, if we rest as many first teamers as possible whilst giving a game to everyone else who can fit in and show what they can do. What is there to lose?

I see other teams throwing youngsters a lifeline of opportunity, let's try the same where possible in this game and let players stake a claim.

Whilst I'd like us to progress to the next round I wouldn't be all the dissapointed if we lost either providing we rested key players and fringers giving the game a good go.

Kalinic

Bree      Elphick     Revan/Hause   Taylor*                                                        Whelan

El Ghazi  Lansbury*  Bjarnason    JDH                                   

Davis

Subs:  Steer, Elmo, Hogan, Adomah, Hutton, Kodja, Bolasie, Bedeau.

* If fit to start.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Kalinic has to play for me.  Chance to get a game under his belt for his new team in a new country with little at stake.  Plus our opponent is also a Championship team, so a no-risk introduction to the competition he'll be facing.

• Like 3