Pre-match thread

MaVilla

Should play a B / development team vs Swansea imo (ohare, Revan, davis, whelan etc - ie first team players not getting games and youth), we need to rest our key players they have had a terribly busy couple of months, and the next few weeks are important in the league.

Our key players have looked tired the last few games.

Don't want to down play the cup, would love a good run as much as the next man, but with our current injury and thread bare squad currently I think we need to prioritise things.

Edited by MaVilla

Steer

Bree   Elphick  Chester  Revan

Whelan Doyle-Hayes Bjarnason

El Ghazi                                                     Adomah

Hogan

no interest in cup and only reason playing guys at the back is so can gel with each other in Bree, Elphick and Chester

We play Swansea for a third time within three months on Saturday. There have been 2 previous meetings between the two clubs in the FA Cup. We were away on each occasion in 1924 and then again in 1925.  We won both games 2-0 and 3-1 respectively. There has been only one other cup game between the two clubs. That was again at Swansea, this time in the League Cup in 1965 and we won that one 3-2 as well. 

Our visitors have never won the FA Cup but were beaten semi finalists twice in 1926 when they were beaten 3-0 by Bolton and in 1964 when they lost 2-1 to Preston.  We have 7 wins, have been runners up 4 times and have appeared in 21 semi finals. 

It has been two seasons since we went past the Third Round of this competition and this will be the 62nd year since we last won it by beating The Busby Babes in 1957. It is high time that we won it again. We once sang "7 times we've won it no-one else can catch us up". We can't sing that now and I don't see us winning it this year.

I would therefore give the kids a game against what is most likely to be Swansea's second string and let them enjoy the experience. Hopefully we will soon be in a position to take this competition more seriously again in the hope that we can add an 8th win that will ease the pain of our 2000 and 2015 Cup Final defeats a little and end the years of hurt in this our competition that began way back in 1958.      

• Like 1

With Hause expected to sign tomorrow, Lansbury having been back in training for around a week now and a feeling that he may change the system and go with two up top I'd expect to see something like this:

Kalinic

Bree   Elphick   Hause   Hutton

Adomah  Bjarnason  Lansbury El Ghazi

Davis  Hogan

We can then put a few of the regulars on the bench (Elmo, Whelan, Bolasie, Kodjia) alongside a couple of youngsters but I'd expect to see Chester, Hourihane, McGinn and Abraham given a complete rest.

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d be amazed if he goes two up top.

I think he'd like to play Hogan but I don't really see him working up top on his own but could see him working alongside Davis. I'd imagine Hogan may have played through the middle on his own under Smith at Brentford though so could well be wide of the mark.

At the moment we are pretty blessed with wide men and strikers but, with the need to rest Hourihane and McGinn and Grealish out, are lacking options in the middle which is why I think a change in system may help in terms of using the squad.

Edited by markavfc40

Kalinic

Bree    Elphick     Hause      Taylor

Jedinak

Bjarnsson   Lansbury 

Adomah        Hogan            Kodjia 

Subs;

Steer, Elmohamady, Revan, Whelan, Bolasie, El Ghazi, Davis 

Important to rest/not risk;

Chester, McGinn, Hourihane, Abraham

• Like 2

If play steer for this one. I wouldn't want kalinic in goal for a reserve team we are likely to lose. 

For me id play elphick revan lansbury adomah Hogan davis Taylor whelan

Rest

Mcginn Tammy bolaise chester

There are players who are screaming out to be rested. Chester, McGinn, Hutton, Hourihane, Abraham and maybe 1 or 2 others. 

I'd like to see:

Kalinic

Bree Elphick Hause Ravan

O'Hare Jedi Lansbury

Adomah Hogan ElGhazi