Jump to content
Xela

VillaTalk Deadpool 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, bickster said:

Not a fan but I could see why people were

Oh can totally understand that. An acquired taste for sure. Obviously very flawed, eccentric as hell, and suffered terribly with mental health issues. 

You may well have already seen it, but I'd highly recommend watching The Devil & Daniel Johnston too. I found I appreciated his music a lot more when I saw what inspired him to write it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Singer songwriter, and artist, Daniel Johnston has died of a heart attack, aged 58. His music would probably leave most leave cold, but to me he was a genius. I'll cherish the two occasions I saw him play live. 

RIP 😥

Sad times. I was only listening to this in the car yesterday. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, choffer said:

Sad times. I was only listening to this in the car yesterday. 

 

Of course the main question upon listening to that is - WHY?! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, choffer said:

Sad times. I was only listening to this in the car yesterday. 

 

Not really listened to him that much but I know a lot of current Swedish artists are were influenced by him.

This Lykke Li one borrows heavy from him. In particular the intro.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sne said:

Not really listened to him that much but I know a lot of current Swedish artists are were influenced by him.

This Lykke Li one borrows heavy from him. In particular the intro.

 

I thought I recognised the piano from somewhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't listen to much in the way of singer song writers, but do quite like some of Daniel Johnston's' stuff, haven't heard it all but from what I have it's his earlier songs that I like best...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do listen to singer-songwriters (probably my main genre), but I'd never heard of this guy until now. He has a certain charm, sort of Loudon Wainwright III meets Jonathan Richman. Not sure I'd want to listen regularly, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eddie Money 70 y.o

Did mostly horrible power pop stuff from what I've heard.

Not really listened to him thou. Mostly recognize his name because they make fun of him on Family Guy...

Edited by sne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sne said:

Eddie Money 70 y.o

Did mostly horrible power pop stuff from what I've heard.

Not really listened to him thou. Mostly recognize his name because they make fun of him on Family Guy...

had to Mooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sne said:

Eddie Money 70 y.o

Did mostly horrible power pop stuff from what I've heard.

Not really listened to him thou. Mostly recognize his name because they make fun of him on Family Guy...

Just listening to them talk about him on 101.5 BobRocks US rock radio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bickster said:

had to Mooney

You had to Mooney Money? 

You are Billy Idol and I claim my £100

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

You had to Mooney Money? 

You are Billy Idol and I claim my £100

Harumph. Tommy Janes and the Shondells, please. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Harumph. Tommy Janes and the Shondells, please. 

I thought I'd leave that to you 😝

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/09/2019 at 17:58, mjmooney said:

 He has a certain charm, sort of Loudon Wainwright III meets Jonathan Richman. Not sure I'd want to listen regularly, though. 

Hadn't heard mention of Loudon for years. Played with an ace guitarist in the early 70's who really rated him; it was odd I thought because when he joined the band he immediately introduced us to playing some Freddie King numbers - which were ace I thought. Couldn't see the similarity - it would be like me playing liking Sam Smith and  playing Steely Dan numbers 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, veloman said:

Hadn't heard mention of Loudon for years. Played with an ace guitarist in the early 70's who really rated him; it was odd I thought because when he joined the band he immediately introduced us to playing some Freddie King numbers - which were ace I thought. Couldn't see the similarity - it would be like me playing liking Sam Smith and  playing Steely Dan numbers 😁

Does not compute. Who listens to only one genre? I'm a fan of both Loudon Wainwright and Freddie King, can't see any incompatibility there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you misunderstand me; I was surprised he didn't want us to play Loudon stuff. Instead we played a couple of FK numbers, Groundhogs, couple of Cream numbers etc. I too listen to different genres , possibly with the proviso that they are percussive. I think Loudon had visited the UK about that time  - but it is a long time ago.

(Only knew one Eddie Money track - the one with Ronnie Spector)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, veloman said:

I think you misunderstand me; I was surprised he didn't want us to play Loudon stuff. Instead we played a couple of FK numbers, Groundhogs, couple of Cream numbers etc. I too listen to different genres , possibly with the proviso that they are percussive. I think Loudon had visited the UK about that time  - but it is a long time ago.

(Only knew one Eddie Money track - the one with Ronnie Spector)

Well, it sounds like you were basically a blues-rock band, and he was an electric lead guitarist, so doing quirky acoustic troubador stuff wouldn't make as much sense as would the then-fashionable Chicago blues repertoire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ric Ocasek from The Cars 😥

Had no idea he was 75 years old. I've sort of rediscovered the Cars over the last couple of years, so this stings a bit extra. Ocasek WAS the Cars. They were the big Boston band when I was growing up, so naturally we sort of ignored them for the most part. Not hard enough for us 15 year old suburban tough guys. As it turns out, Ocasek was a master pop rock songsmith. Pure "New Wave", but they had technical proficiency and avoided a lot of that rock star claptrap. R.I.P. Ric Ocasek.

 

Edited by maqroll
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Ric Ocasek from The Cars 😥

Had no idea he was 75 years old. I've sort of rediscovered the Cars over the last couple of years, so this stings a bit extra. Ocasek WAS the Cars. They were the big Boston band when I was growing up, so naturally we sort of ignored them for the most part. Not hard enough for us 15 year old suburban tough guys. As it turns out, Ocasek was a master pop rock songsmith. Pure "New Wave", but they had technical proficiency and avoided a lot of that rock star claptrap. R.I.P. Ric Ocasek.

 

I preferred Ben Orr's vocals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Limits, with the lovely Jenny Powell, got this one noticed over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â