Black Mirror Bandersnatch **SPOILERS**

TheAuthority

Interestingly there's a hidden ending you can get that includes the very old school Spectrum audio program code method which creates a link to a game.

I did wonder when watching if Brooker would do something like that in the show. He's a fair old bit of a nerd and famously liked stuff like Micro Live from the 80s, that used to broadcast programs via those weird audio chirps and clicks like modems used to make at the end of each show. Turns out he did. Nice Easter egg.

There's also dozens of references to other Black Mirror episodes everywhere in it. We spotted a few but seems like they're everywhere.

Yeah I spotted a lot of references. The doctors was called San Junipero surgery. The games that Colin made had names of episodes as their titles. Stuff like that. I'm sure there are loads that i missed.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Interestingly there's a hidden ending you can get that includes the very old school Spectrum audio program code method which creates a link to a game.

I did wonder when watching if Brooker would do something like that in the show. He's a fair old bit of a nerd and famously liked stuff like Micro Live from the 80s, that used to broadcast programs via those weird audio chirps and clicks like modems used to make at the end of each show. Turns out he did. Nice Easter egg.

There's also dozens of references to other Black Mirror episodes everywhere in it. We spotted a few but seems like they're everywhere.

https://www.tuckersoft.net/ealing20541/nohzdyve/

As per my post on previous page. 

I didn't use the audio to create the link, I found it on Twitter.

You can download the game from here and play it on an emulator.

There is also a link to a 'job ad' from Tuckersoft and if you click the add, it takes you to Netflix's recruitment page! 

Link to 'reputelligent' is there too. 

Just watched this, and overall I was disappointed.

I like the fact they tried something different. I think the whole meta element of it was interesting, if not slightly pretentious - although in a way that can often be what makes BM so engaging! I felt the same about the little references etc. within it.

I actually quite liked the 'final' ending (if it is that - it could just be the way I watched it but the proper credits came up after) where he's on the train. It tied it up nicely for me so at that stage I didn't really have the unsatisfied feeling that others seem to have been left with. However, I started to find it quite tedious going through the options again. That's where the meta thing disappeared up its own arse a little for me: I felt like there was supposed to be a message about illusions of choice and free will but how everything is nevertheless controlled in some way, but to me that just felt like a cop-out for a lot of the circular stuff that went on within the choices and cycling back to different options. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

I'm glad they did it and there was some lovely stuff in there, like with all Black Mirror episodes, but ultimately I prefer to let my tellybox tell me the story. I do think the concept could go further so I wouldn't write it off, but this didn't blow me away.

• Like 1

Just now, Troglodyte said:

if it is that - it could just be the way I watched it but the proper credits came up after

The credits come up after the first "final" ending you see, of which there are about 6-8. Any which show a game review, essentially.

I agree with everything else you wrote. I really wanted to like it, and I admire them for trying it, but the more I think about it, the less I like it.

• Like 2

Nah the option to exit to Netflix came up for me after the first ending, but also more choices to go back. It was only after the train ending, which was after I'd been to jail two or three times, that the 80s TV from the start came up with the credits on. Then they changed to the usual Netflix credits, followed by him back on the bus again but listening to a Bandersnatch tape rather than the earlier two options, and then it came off.

Anyway, I was kind of tired of it by that point even though I was still intrigued at the same time!

Â