Ratings & Reactions: Preston v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/19 at 15:00

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The usual over reaction it seems. We’re either quite simply the best team in the league or have no chance of getting the play offs. It’s not possible to completely turn round a football club, that has been more or less a shambles for about 10 years, in one school term. The owners primarily had to get their feet under the table and find the right people to run the club. Then these guys have to have time to assess what we have and what we need, short, medium and long term. Then at the pointy end the manager has only been in the job for 13 matches and people seem to think, that despite all the problems that we are all very aware of, we should play everyone off the pitch week in week out. Incredible really. 

Absolutely spot on Dave. Expectations took off when Dean Smith came in and that is a good thing to a degree, combined with the euphoria of the new ownership etc. We have been blinded by the lights in a good way.

Still one loss in ten games and as frustrating as todays result may appear to many, it is still a point away from home.

This has all been managed on a paper thin squad with barely any depth and for the last few games been missing key players whilst still scraping results.

The reality now looms large as to how bad things are and January cannot come quick enough in many aspects.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Piss poor. Another r2 points thrown away against a woeful team with severe injuries 

C'mon Dem..

- A team that is on it's bare bones, that is absolutely nakered, has only suffered one loss in ten games.

-Playing 3 games in last 9 days whilst approaching our 4th game in 12 days, in two days time.

A unlucky point salvaged considering we could have won the game.

This whole turnaround has been quite a remarkable whilst enjoying the ride.

Let's not worry too much, January is round the corner.

Also, these last 3 games we have been without Jack & Axel. Quite remarkable really.

Bring on QPR and try and grab the 3 points.

• Like 4

A poor day in the office and overall in terms of real chances made, a point gained. We all know about the the defence but today the midfield was shocking. So many times they  lost the ball under very little pressure from a average PNE side.  Bolasie did nothing today. Kodjia needs to start.  El Ghazi did nothing until about 15 minutes to go. McGinn frankly looks knackered and needs  a rest and I just can't make my mind up about Hourihane. He gets important goals for us but sometimes he does look a bit of a passenger in the middle. Whelan was ok today and gets far more stick than he deserves.

I know we are not blesed with a huge amount of options at present but I was suprised Smith did not make  at least a couple of changes today after 3 games in 6 days.

If people still think we can get top 2 they are either deluded or disingenuous. 5th or 6th at the very best. Personally I think we will just finish short at about 7th to 10th.

Edited by The Fun Factory

54 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

C'mon Dem..

- A team that is on it's bare bones, that is absolutely nakered, has only suffered one loss in ten games.

-Playing 3 games in last 9 days whilst approaching our 4th game in 12 days, in two days time.

Also, these last 3 games we have been without Jack & Axel. Quite remarkable really.

No one is disputing that, but if you have aspirations of top 6 you need to be beating teams like Preston. We did not do enough to win this game. We were pretty poor throughout today.

I was hoping the loss of grealish wouldnt be so severe as we have enough quality in the team. But seems this is having a impact from a goal scoring point if view. The full backs though are bloody dreadful.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

C'mon Dem..

Bare bones ? kjodia on the bench  V Preston - assembled on a shoe string and missing 8 first teamers ? - every team has injuries at this stage of the season - and most will until May.

Something feels wrong to me.

Just watched the highlights:

1) Nyland dropping that corner, that was straight at him and they hit the bar - shocking

2) Elmo OG - shocking

3) Numerous long balls over the top making us look like 5ft midgets playing football - shocking

4) the long ball where they hit the post - shocking

I think there is a trend developing here :P

Please let us get some good signings in Jan....pleeeeeaaasseee! :)

Still entirely supportive of DS tho, not his fault we are in such a mess defensively, granted he could play more defensively and replicate bruce ball, but i would much rather he stuck to his guns, i think we can ass see what he is trying to do here, and he needs a little time to sort this mess of a squad out, and implement his own ideas.

We do have some good players, but i really think half t=of them dont suit the system at all, even if they are ok in principle, they just arent sharp, quick, agile, intelligent, composed enough etc, in all honesty the only players i can see in a final DS lineup (of players that we currently own) are Kalinic, Chester (even though i dont rate Chester that much), McGinn & Grealish, the rest just arent good enough for the system i dont think, even if they are reasonable by average standards.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I didn't see the game so I have to be careful....but have seen all the home games and since Albion away its been a struggle.

Pete , there are many ways of describing things, maybe its not an intention to not fight, but I have seen games not least the Leeds and Stoke games where THEY the opposition for what every reason, were winning the battles for challenging for the ball.....it can be dressed up any way you like....We might need to be reminded that a last minute save, saved us from another dropping of points from a mid table team.....it so easily could be 2 instead of 4 points.

at 2-0 against Leeds , we looked like we needed another..... a Ron Saunders team, that would be game set and match, it maybe fight, it maybe stamina ,call it what you will, but teams find an easy way back against us in too many games.

I am not going to blame the manager, its too early, he has much to do.....but I do think we are lacking in certain types of players that is creating a weakness for us.

sorry in you don't agree.

We, a long time ago, threw away a 2 goal lead at home to Leeds when Saunders was manager, (edit, it was Boxing Day 1978. That season we also did it against spurs) and throwing away 2 goal leads under him wasn’t that rare. But anyway, as many of us have repeatedly said all season, that clown Bruce left us going into the season with one left back and one centre half and a skittish keeper. The gaping holes in our defence are entirely the cause of our underlying vulnerability. Add in a few injuries and we’re always at risk. Grealish is a huge loss because of the way he retains the ball and the oppo have to protect themselves when he’s in the side.

Edited by blandy
date added
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, blandy said:

We, a long time ago, threw away a 2 goal lead at home to Leeds when Saunders was manager, (edit, it was Boxing Day 1978. That season we also did it against spurs) and throwing away 2 goal leads under him wasn’t that rare. But anyway, as many of us have repeatedly said all season, that clown Bruce left us going into the season with one left back and one centre half and a skittish keeper. The gaping holes in our defence are entirely the cause of our underlying vulnerability. Add in a few injuries and we’re always at risk. Grealish is a huge loss because of the way he retains the ball and the oppo have to protect themselves when he’s in the side.

It happened against Man Utd too (14/10/'78).....I accept your point...and I accept your reasons for it too.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

I have a suspicion we are carrying more injuries than we are declaring, with players playing with them.

regretably when that happens fans can take a distorted view of their performances.

I regret some of my comments on individuals if that is the case.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, TRO said:

I didn't see the game so I have to be careful....but have seen all the home games and since Albion away its been a struggle.

Pete , there are many ways of describing things, maybe its not an intention to not fight, but I have seen games not least the Leeds and Stoke games where THEY the opposition for what every reason, were winning the battles for challenging for the ball.....it can be dressed up any way you like....We might need to be reminded that a last minute save, saved us from another dropping of points from a mid table team.....it so easily could be 2 instead of 4 points.

at 2-0 against Leeds , we looked like we needed another..... a Ron Saunders team, that would be game set and match, it maybe fight, it maybe stamina ,call it what you will, but teams find an easy way back against us in too many games.

I am not going to blame the manager, its too early, he has much to do.....but I do think we are lacking in certain types of players that is creating a weakness for us.

sorry in you don't agree.

@TRO

No disrespect but you have to move on from the Ron Saunders days....that era was 38 years ago, a lot has changed since then....you cant compare apples with pears

yes its disappointing we did not win, but the manager and back room staff are still having to cope with the mess Bruce left us in, hence the Tommy Elphick recall. And we all know the decision to let him go was madness when we had no centre halves, regardless of his ability.

We have 3 right backs playing in an already fragile defence, we have a weak midfield with a legless holding midfielder.

We are not as good as we think we are.....you are right, the manager needs time, and it may be next season or even the one after that when the time tells !!!!

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

@TRO

No disrespect but you have to move on from the Ron Saunders days....that era was 38 years ago, a lot has changed since then....you cant compare apples with pears

yes its disappointing we did not win, but the manager and back room staff are still having to cope with the mess Bruce left us in, hence the Tommy Elphick recall. And we all know the decision to let him go was madness when we had no centre halves, regardless of his ability.

We have 3 right backs playing in an already fragile defence, we have a weak midfield with a legless holding midfielder.

We are not as good as we think we are.....you are right, the manager needs time, and it may be next season or even the one after that when the time tells !!!!

I think a lot depends on what I am comparing....of course a lot has changed but some things haven't. I use the Ron Saunders era as a good benchmark to aim for as it was amongst some of our best times...I am mindful not to compare things that can't be compared, like agents, transfer windows, pace on the pitch,space they had to play in, but things like aggression, will to win, and the like are things that will never change in time....time has no bearing on them.

seeing out a game, is the same now as it was a hundred years ago.....In the main, when you are leading particularly by 2 clear goals ,you expect to win....but it was the manner of the game I was referring to the lack of aggression and the struggling with one v one's....I thought Leeds showed the initiative even at 2-0 down and that concerned me.

I accept the mitigation....and yes we have much to do in terms of new players....we wouldn't be planning on bringing any in if the club thought everything was ok.

but please accept they are observations as opposed to criticisms.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Having reflected on it I think the most annoying thing is that having got a lead against the run of play, we did not capitalise on it. In fact Preston could well have won the match. To have a succesful season we need to grind out wins when playing poorly, and not throw away wins into draws.

Its exactly my feelings right now.....however, i think we are riddled with injuries and knocks, which is adversely affecting us.

I just hope we sign the right players in January.

I think our record of signings in the past decade particularly bought players has been patchy at best.

I am talking in the main of players that don't display a handle on the fundamentals of the game.

Â