Ratings & Reactions: Preston v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/01/19 at 15:00

felt we were predictable at times today and lacked much cutting edge until the last 10. We stroll through the middle, play it out wide, deep cross....97.5% of the time it's headed away and we're hoping for a mistake then it's a goal ala v Swansea. Massively missing Grealish for the unpredictability. Fascinated to see who Smith will bring in. MASSIVE 2 points dropped today. The table would have looked pretty bloody good.

I can't really comment on the game as I didn't get chance to see it, just followed it on the Villa Talk match thread and by all accounts we have not played well and lucky to get a point, whilst also possibly sneaking all 3 late on.

Must say I am surprised Smith made no changes to the side, whether it would have made a difference who knows, but it sounds like we looked leggy out there today and a bit of freshness may have helped.

No game is easy in this league as other results today show, but it is disappointing not to capitalise and seems to be typical Villa.

Without sounding like a broken record, we need Jack back ASAP! 

• Like 1

Sounds like on the balance of play a draw was a fair result even if before the match we expected more.

The mix in central midfield is not working so perhaps we should try something different.

Would really like to see Smith make some changes for the next match. Let's utilise the other attacking players we have at our disposal please.

• Like 1

Very disappointing. We played a very, very average team and failed to dominate in any way. Our wingers were completely off, and very little happened through the middle. We looked tired, and Smith will regret not rotating the squad for this game. That said, we’re short on options atm and without Grealish, we’re without the only player we have who is capable of dictating a game. Kodjia should have been in the game at some point. How Birkir missed his chance at the end is beyond me, and McGinn should have put us out of sight right after the break. Absolutely gutted we failed to win, but we didn’t deserve to anyway. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

I just think our second highest scorer shouldn't haven't spent 90 minutes on the bench. 

I must admit I expected to see him come on. Perhaps things on the training ground haven’t been working out with him. Or maybe big changes in and out that he knows about and doesn’t like? We’ll probably never know. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I must admit I expected to see him come on. Perhaps things on the training ground haven’t been working out with him. Or maybe big changes in and out that he knows about and doesn’t like? We’ll probably never know. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he shipped out in Jan. I can't believe its a football decision not to bring on a player who can create and score goals - when we need 1 . Personally hes a starter for me.

2 hours ago, rendelc said:

We are not good enough to go up . 

I think its more to do with....we have weaknesses that need strengthening....and opposition teams have picked up on them.

Jack would be missed from any team....but i think its more than that.....seems like no gas in the tanks and subsequently no fire in the belly.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

To be honest this kinda shows that our players aren't as good as we think they are.

Yes we have a few good players, but half the team is just a joke.

I don't think it's any coincidence our form has dropped without Grealish and Axel. (And ironically Taylor)

Spot on.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its more to do with....we have weaknesses that need strengthening....and opposition teams have picked up on them.

Jack would be missed from any team....but i think its more than that.....seems like no gas in the tanks and subsequently no fire in the belly.

This is both very astute and very wrong ( no offence intended). First comment, from my view which was from the side of the pitch, in the posh seats today, was that yes, you’re right. Both teams were frankly knackered to an extent with injuries etc and fatigue, so no fire,  but also that a weakness as you say is apparent in terms of our defence. That’s the nature of the competition. So PNE tried to exploit our flaws and did so, but equally we did the same to them. There was no lack of fire or fight, that’s just wrong. We missed and lacked the spark of Grealish, but they still did ok, but no more.

Basically the number of games means everyone is stretched. All clubs can take advantage of each other’s stresses. Today was ok.

5D23EABC-85FF-437B-AF6D-935959EC8F33.jpeg

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is both very astute and very wrong ( no offence intended). First comment, from my view which was from the side of the pitch, in the posh seats today, was that yes, you’re right. Both teams were frankly knackered to an extent with injuries etc and fatigue, so no fire,  but also that a weakness as you say is apparent in terms of our defence. That’s the nature of the competition. So PNE tried to exploit our flaws and did so, but equally we did the same to them. There was no lack of fire or fight, that’s just wrong. We missed and lacked the spark of Grealish, but they still did ok, but no more.

Basically the number of games means everyone is stretched. All clubs can take advantage of each other’s stresses. Today was ok.

5D23EABC-85FF-437B-AF6D-935959EC8F33.jpeg

I didn't see the game so I have to be careful....but have seen all the home games and since Albion away its been a struggle.

Pete , there are many ways of describing things, maybe its not an intention to not fight, but I have seen games not least the Leeds and Stoke games where THEY the opposition for what every reason, were winning the battles for challenging for the ball.....it can be dressed up any way you like....We might need to be reminded that a last minute save, saved us from another dropping of points from a mid table team.....it so easily could be 2 instead of 4 points.

at 2-0 against Leeds , we looked like we needed another..... a Ron Saunders team, that would be game set and match, it maybe fight, it maybe stamina ,call it what you will, but teams find an easy way back against us in too many games.

I am not going to blame the manager, its too early, he has much to do.....but I do think we are lacking in certain types of players that is creating a weakness for us.

sorry in you don't agree.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

To be honest this kinda shows that our players aren't as good as we think they are.

Yes we have a few good players, but half the team is just a joke.

I don't think it's any coincidence our form has dropped without Grealish and Axel. (And ironically Taylor)

Bang on the button-------

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a worry, cos if anyone's going to know what a bang average mid table team looks like.....

Yeah even bang average mid table blues smashed Preston 3-0 😱 

Worrying times, bedsheets & cabbages will be out soon.

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Quality? We've gone back to shit.

Have you ever considered why that might be?! 

I'll give you a clue... Something to do with a makeshift defence, key players injured and back ups not having the right attributes to fit into the system. Two out the three issues are Bruce's fault and none are DS's. He can only begin to do anything about that in January so cut him some slack! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Have you ever considered why that might be?! 

I'll give you a clue... Something to do with a makeshift defence, key players injured and back ups not having the right attributes to fit into the system. Two out the three issues are Bruce's fault and none are DS's. He can only begin to do anything about that in January so cut him some slack! 

I'm talking about the lack of pressing aggressively when we don't have the ball, and ability to control the game by retaining possession when we have it.

We may be tired, but we should be able to do at least the latter even without Jack, against Preston's B-team. 

Edited by AVTuco

Â