Pre-match thread

wedge

All the teams around us have very winnable games this weekend so anything less than three points here will be a massive disappointment. Our 3-0 win at Deepdale last season in the Bruce era was one of the most complete away league performances I've seen from a Villa side in recent memory so a similar display on Saturday will be more than appreciated!  

We have won 51 and have drawn 17 of the 103 league games between these two founder members of the Football League. Preston were the first league and cup double winners in 1888/89. We were the second club to achieve that feat in 1896/97.

We dropped two valuable points to then bottom of the table Preston earlier this season when they were aided and abetted by a dubious penalty decision that the referee felt also merited bringing us down to ten men by giving Chester his marching orders. 

Preston are now sitting more comfortably in the league. They are currently in 17th place, 7 points clear of the relegation zone and only 8 points behind us. Another away win would be a very nice way to close this year and that might just bring us within a point of the play off places as we approach the January transfer window. Another clean sheet should take us to 39 points from 25 games. A 2-0 victory would be most welcome.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOF said:

After coming through our nightmare-ish run in December with flying colours, we go into the new year with a far more forgiving schedule on the horizon.  We've now got the 'easiest' run in the league over the next 6 games based solely on league position.  Our opponents AVERAGE 17.67 in the league with Leeds, West Brom & Norwich at the other end of the table hopefully about to drop some points.  We need to flat track bully from here onwards if we're to even think of automatic promotion.

c053a1f7627194aeb736fdbacb5ab729.png

Your spreadsheet makes me moist.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Nidrosian said:

GoDebDx.jpg

Let's put this into perspective, Smith's games in green, Bruce's in Red.

Better performances, more points, more goals against much harder opposition.

If we play anything like our best We should flatten all of the next 6 teams we play even taking into account our shit luck recently and teams only seeming to turn up against us... only real challenge should be QPR but iirc a loss was a pretty unfair result earlier in the season, so we should do them at home. They have a really leaky defence with the only negative goal difference in the top half (battered by Albion 7-1 not helping), so feel we can slot 2 or 3 past them at home.

Concerning Preston. They are struggling to take points against teams around them recently, losing to hull and shef wednesday recently, sure they beat forest but got battered by the scum 3-0. We are playing great away from home atm and would be surprised if we don't beat them by 2 or 3 goals.

Makes it even starker when you realise what happened to us when Bruce played the only team in the top 10!

• Like 1

We look to have Grealish, Tuanzebe, Taylor & Lansbury missing.

Preston have Ben Davies (centre back), Callum Robinson (striker), Brandon Barker (winger), Sean Maguire (striker), Josh Harrop (striker) & Billy Bodin (striker) all out injured.

We have to take advantage of this and pick up 3 points here. It's a very short space of time between games but we have fresh players in the squad we can bring in with Bjarnasson, Kodjia, Adomah. All could make a vital difference. I would also at least give O'Hare a chance off the bench as Grealish doesn't look to be back anytime soon and we are missing the creativity through the middle of the pitch.

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Makes it even starker when you realise what happened to us when Bruce played the only team in the top 10!

Annoying really considering Utd have lost 4 and won 2 against the top six. And W-4 D-2 L-6 vs top half teams.

All of their success has come against bottom half teams.

On 27/12/2018 at 13:54, BOF said:

After coming through our nightmare-ish run in December with flying colours, we go into the new year with a far more forgiving schedule on the horizon.  We've now got the 'easiest' run in the league over the next 6 games based solely on league position.  Our opponents AVERAGE 17.67 in the league with Leeds, West Brom & Norwich at the other end of the table hopefully about to drop some points.  We need to flat track bully from here onwards if we're to even think of automatic promotion.

c053a1f7627194aeb736fdbacb5ab729.png

Wow! The next 6 for Norwich will test their mettle as automatic promotion candidates.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

We look to have Grealish, Tuanzebe, Taylor & Lansbury missing.

Preston have Ben Davies (centre back), Callum Robinson (striker), Brandon Barker (winger), Sean Maguire (striker), Josh Harrop (striker) & Billy Bodin (striker) all out injured.

We have to take advantage of this and pick up 3 points here. It's a very short space of time between games but we have fresh players in the squad we can bring in with Bjarnasson, Kodjia, Adomah. All could make a vital difference. I would also at least give O'Hare a chance off the bench as Grealish doesn't look to be back anytime soon and we are missing the creativity through the middle of the pitch.

Hopefully we're more interested than we were on Wednesday. We should win, but who knows. 

I've spoke to my mate who's had a season ticket for three years at Preston. What he said has worried me.

They have 7 or 8 key injuries and he said 100% we'll win. His mate who he goes with has put £200 on Villa at 7/5 which he says is bargain of the century. Ever the cynic me.

This is a must win for Deano and the boys. Let's scare people.

I think Albert will start and McGinn/Tammy will be brought off if we're three goals up on 60 mins.