• Bolasie
    • Abraham
    • Adomah (Bolasie 76)
    • Kodjia (Abraham 88)
    • Bjarnason (Hourihane 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/12/18 at 15:00

2 hours ago, tinker said:

We have a problem with ball retention which hurts us when we're leading I'm games . Think it's got a lot to do with our midfield and a lack of movement from players when we're in possession. When we're drawing or losing its easy to play the ball forward and take the chance of losing possession with a through ball and or half chances. We can't afford to take these chances when we're leading games .

Well played today though , think we had the better chances bar the penalty, which was careless from Elmo who didn't really need to make the challenge and was the wrong side of the player to do so .

So much of it is down to brains.

There must have been 5/6 separate occasions in the last 10 mins our player had the chance to clear our lines with no real pressure on him. He had a choice of 3/4 passes to our players who were also free. We could have kept the ball and run down the clock. Like good teams do week after week. 

Every time we just launched it in the vague direction of Tammy. Within 30sec Swansea were then crossing the ball into our box again. One of which led to the pen. 

It was so brainless it was driving me mad and it was loads of different players doing it. 

To be charitable most of the side looked knackered for most of the game. Think Leeds took a lot out of them. Easy be a dumbass when you’re tired. 

Another game in what 3 days, be interesting to see what changes Deano can make because these guys need the rest of the squad to step up and help the cause. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Just seen the highlights on skysports.com, looked like we were lucky to win

Seriously? 

I would say that the McGinn chance was far better than any they had and I can't understand how McGinn failed to connect with a ball at his feet with the goal at his mercy unless the defender went straight through the back of him, whereas their penalty was very very soft for me. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

We absolutely did deserve to win that.

Loads more good chances than Swansea.

Even if you think we didn't, it's about time we had something to our way. Sick of stuff going against us.

Nyland 9

Elmo 6

Bree 8

Chester 7

Hutton 7

Whelan 6

Hourihane 7

McGinn 8

Bolasie 7

Tammy 7

El Ghazi 6

47 minutes ago, villaglint said:

So much of it is down to brains.

There must have been 5/6 separate occasions in the last 10 mins our player had the chance to clear our lines with no real pressure on him. He had a choice of 3/4 passes to our players who were also free. We could have kept the ball and run down the clock. Like good teams do week after week. 

Every time we just launched it in the vague direction of Tammy. Within 30sec Swansea were then crossing the ball into our box again. One of which led to the pen. 

It was so brainless it was driving me mad and it was loads of different players doing it. 

To be charitable most of the side looked knackered for most of the game. Think Leeds took a lot out of them. Easy be a dumbass when you’re tired. 

Another game in what 3 days, be interesting to see what changes Deano can make because these guys need the rest of the squad to step up and help the cause.

I think DS see this, when he refers to 'resting when in possession'. Very difficult to do when the opposition needs a goal but it's vital for us to progress as a team who can see out games without it turning into a scramble over the line 

• Like 1

I don't agree that it was a woeful penalty, I won't call it fantastic, but I agree with the BBC that it was firmly struck and heading for the corner. It was a great save from Nyland, he dived down really quickly and got two strong hands to it, at full stretch.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Personally I totally believe in what Smith is doing. 

Some people just need to reach out and touch faith. 

I would, but she runs too fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, robby b said:

I don't agree that it was a woeful penalty, I won't call it fantastic, but I agree with the BBC that it was firmly struck and heading for the corner. It was a great save from Nyland, he dived down really quickly and got two strong hands to it, at full stretch.

It was a decent pen but an excellent save based on analysis of where Bony typically hits his penalties. Smith referenced this in his post match comments.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Seriously? 

I would say that the McGinn chance was far better than any they had and I can't understand how McGinn failed to connect with a ball at his feet with the goal at his mercy unless the defender went straight through the back of him, whereas their penalty was very very soft for me. 

They hit the post and had a penalty saved, I only saw the highlights so can’t give a full analysis, we need to be more prudent at the back

I said after about 20 minutes. Swansea were never going to score. It was one of those games that I expected us to pinch with a Conor free kick

But the header was fine.

Just a pity every one else won. But they now all have to play each other, while we play the minnows of the league  

By the end of Jan WE SHOULD BE challenging up the top. 

Edited by Robtaylor200
cocked up my spelling
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Personally I totally believe in what Smith is doing. 

Some people just need to reach out and touch faith. 

I did that. she went to the police and now there's a restraining order.

ah beaten to it by TRO

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Deserved a bit of luck after recent games. If only we had got a bit more luck against forest, Albion and not thrown the game away against Leeds we would be comfortably chasing the autos atm. But Villa never really a lucky side.

Also no-one in their right mind can have anything bad to say against Smith... to put it into perspective looking at the table right now, he has played the entire top half of the table minus bristol/shef utd. Bruce played the entire bottom half minus Bolton/Swansea.

Smith's has taken more points, scored more goals, and conceeded less against much harder opposition and all while inheriting a team with a shambles of a back 5.

I must admit I have only seen the highlights but it sounds like the result was better than the performance, but I will take that all day long, it was essential we got back to winning ways ASAP after the Leeds defeat and more so the manner of losing it the way we did in the dying seconds.

Really delighted with the clean sheet and didn't see it coming at all, pleased for Nyland who has come in for a lot of criticism (some fairly, some a little injust), hopefully it will give him some much needed confidence along with our defence.

Sounds like a tactical change from Smith helped us get a foothold in the match and it is nice that we now have someone in charge who sees things in games and isn't afraid to make changes whether it be formation or personnel to give us the upper hand, he won't get them all right but I would back him to get most.

Â