Pre-match thread

ismail-villa

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I don't know what to make of Bree if im honest. You look at Leeds young fellas when they get a start, they look like they want to grab the chance to impress and are well up for it. He's just so passive. Nothing stands out with him. Elmo did him no favours first goal, but he has to get out to Clarke quicker than that.

Disagree, I see potential in Bree, he’s only 21 years old, think how good he’ll be in a few years, centre back or right back

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/december/boxing-day-bonanza-sky-bet-championship-preview/

Aston Villa’s last win in Swansea came 47 years ago! And since 1990, Villa have played on Boxing Day on 25 occasions, but they have won just five of those games: in 1991, 1997, 1999, 2005 and 2016. 

Not expecting 3 points but hoping for them!

If somehow we can avoid conceding more than once we have a decent chance to win.

9 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/december/boxing-day-bonanza-sky-bet-championship-preview/

Not expecting 3 points but hoping for them!

If somehow we can avoid conceding more than once we have a decent chance to win.

Due a win then, we need to be at them from the first whistle, Smith will have them fired up, no doubt. It won’t be easy, they’ve got some very good players like Bony and Fer,  we need to be wary of them

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Hopefully Adomah is back in the starting 11 for this one. I feel he contributes more defensively, and playing both Kodija and Bolasie is giving the defence too much to do as shown in the Leeds match. Would use Bolasie as an impact sub for this match. 

Obviously not too many options defensively but elsewhere I think Smith will look to freshen things up a little and use the squad with 3 games in 6 days. I'd expect to see Bjarnason, Adomah and El Ghanzi start. We may even see a change in how we set up and go with two through the middle and Hogan getting a start.

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Disagree, I see potential in Bree, he’s only 21 years old, think how good he’ll be in a few years, centre back or right back

Your logic for judging his potential is that's he's young, that's it ? I can only go by what I've seen so far. Looks timid and passive and pretty average really.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Your logic for judging his potential is that's he's young, that's it ? I can only go by what I've seen so far. Looks timid and passive and pretty average really.

In my opinion, he reads the game well and can bring the ball out of defence

8 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, he reads the game well and can bring the ball out of defence

There was absolutely zero evidence of that on Sunday. He's body language spoke petrified to me. Whenever we had a goal kick he slowly trotted along the edge of the 18yd box to the right in a perfunctory fashion, nervously scratching his head. He never once showed for the ball, presumably for fear of making a mistake.

Compare this to the approach Tuanzebe adopts, who takes the ball off the keeper anywhere. This has been so crucial to how we've imposed ourselves on the opposition under Smith. Without this we go long from the back and end up with 35% possession.

In this regard, Tuanzebe's absence is perhaps more debilitating than Grealish's. With some creative reshuffling we can just about cope without Grealish. I expect Bjarnsson to start today as he is the kind of positive thinking player that adapts well to Smith's philosophy and provides a vital link between midfield and attack.

• Like 1

We have won 13 and drawn 3 of the 25 league games between the two clubs. We last won at their old Vetch Field ground back in 1971. That sounds a little worse than it actually is because we have only visited Swansea 7 times since then, as they have spent a fair bit of that period in a division or two below the one that we were then occupying. We beat them at Villa Park only 2 months ago so that should see us travelling to South Wales with some degree of confidence.

A defeat could see us drop into the bottom half of the table but a win could possibly see us close to just 2 points away from a play off place. We pulled off great away wins at Derby and Boro recently. They currently occupy two of the four play off places whereas Swansea are currently a point behind us, so avoiding defeat should be a realistic aim even with our fragile defence. We won on our first three league and cup visits to Swansea so let's get back to winning ways there. A 3-0 or a 3-2 win would be nice.

Edited by John