• Kodjia
    • Elmohamady
    • Kodjia (El Ghazi 61)
    • Bjarnason (Whelan 72)
    • Hogan (Bolasie 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/12/18 at 15:00

Our defence is worrying, but there's nothing we can do until January.  That was always going to be the case, and we just need to continue trying to outscore teams until Smith can strengthen.  I knew at half time it wasn't over.  With the possession they were getting, the next goal was going to be crucial.  If they get it, they get the wind in their sails.  If we get it, 3-0 becomes a mountain.  Unfortunately it played out exactly as I feared, and when it went 2-2 there was only 1 winner.  Even though we had a mini-renaissance before the final 10 minutes, they held out and then got the break their play probably deserved.  It was a terrible error from Elmo but you can't put the defeat down to him alone.  Bree was at fault for their opener, Chester was weak for their equaliser.  We could have scored more than we did, and they should have had 2 penalties from Hutton & Whelan.  They came to Villa Park, gave us 34% possession in our own backyard and beat us 3-2 after being 2-0 down at half time.  Hats off to them.  We showed our best and our worst side, but Leeds deserved the points.  Now let's get to January and plug those bloody holes!

• Like 2

Have we all seen a glimpse of what can be with a proper manager, that we now expect to win everything every time we play. Lets get back to being realistic

Our defence is crap we have all know this from the start of the season - we had no money and were expecting relegation  - did we really expect to get so many points over the last seven games No !

This is still the team we started the season with, I am amazed with what we have achieved and that we are still in the running for the play offs

Well done Deano, we are now in a position to actually buy some players and go into the second part of the season. In a far better position than we actually dreamed possible 

Lets count our blessings, stop running every body down and look forward to next years games 

Happy New year and UTV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to avoid the result and just just watched the game..

Leeds were better than us in every department , it’s worrying how far behind them we are , though that is reflected in points totals as well

For me it was always going to be hang in there until Jan and make the improvements , we’d shown in previous weeks that we are quite close , but play offs is our only realistic option 

disappointed again with Bolaise if he had a return clause on his loan I think I’d take it up 

Keeper has been sorted , 2 CB’s a left back and a right back are a must and a CM that can play the full 90 mins

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

That's exactly how I see it, in fact usually if I back the other team when we are winning, it turns out more comfortable a win You played it very well and like you I am hurting this morning, living fairly local to Leeds, they are all coming out of the woodwork to give me grief, guys I haven't spoken to in years.

I would love their bubble to burst and for revenge in the play offs with a stronger defence and Jack! 

Hope not. Leeds in play off would be similar to Fulham I think.

If we get in them my dream other three teams would be Boro (we match up very well against them), Derby (decent but we hammered them) and Norwich (would be one of those disraught to have missed out on top 2).

Wouldn't fancy Forest, Sheffield United or WBA for various reasons.

Lots of football to be played before serious thoughts for any of that though.

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Proper club Leeds are. Don’t particularly like their fans as a whole, but Bielsa is superb. 

Indeed. I want Leeds up just to see Bielsa football in the premier league. I guarentee it will be box office.

Like most never liked Leeds but tbh they have suffered enough. Doubt anyone thought when they were relegated in 2004 it would take until 2019 for them to return. Dunno how old Cjay is but there are Leeds fans coming up to 20 years old who have never seen them play a top flight game which is incredible (same for likes of Forest and Sheff Weds).

Just hope we don't turn into one of those clubs! Our younger fanbase has suffered enough over the last decade.

On 23/12/2018 at 17:49, TRO said:

Its the case in many games.....we are no where near consistent enough, our tenacity wanes very quickly.

Not sure what the problem is....but its glaring obvious there is one.

when you go 2-0 up and still nervous....there is an inherent issue.

6 hours ago, Cjay said:

Left this for a day before giving my opinion.

I thought you played well first 20mins especially , looked a real threat and your goals were well worked and taken, i was fearful that this could be a WBA.

We had decent control of the game first half, passing the ball well and created half decent chances but lacked a bit of clinicality which is what you had shown to take a 2 goal lead in the first place.

We should have had a pen 1st half when Hutton wrestled Jansson to the ground, but were a bit fortunate to not concede a dangerous free kick very early on when Davis fouled Kodjia so hey ho.

2nd half thought you again started well and looked threatening for a bit, we took a while to get started. A great challenge from Jansson denying Kodjia and another effort from Jodjia went just over.

Hasn't been mentioned much in the reports but Hernandez did brilliantly to keep the ball and find Clarke. Jack is our new golden boy, he has impressed a lot already and this moment was a matter of when. Great confidence for a lad who only turned 18 last month to run at an experienced international like Elmohamady, he fully deserved the finish at the end.

And then you folded, i dont mean that disrespectfully but aside from 5 minutes late on i felt only 1 side would score again, was just whether we would score just the once.

Whoever decided Hutton should mark Jansson should give there head a wobble, a warning had already happened 1st half, it was ignored and Jansson powered home an excellent Hernandez cross.

Bolasie had a great chance but for reasons only known to himself he went with it with the outside of his right foot., the skill incidentally to beat 2 defenders on his own got a clap from me tbh.

The winner, clearly Elmo should have done anything but what he did, couldn't let it go because Clarke was behind him but he could have headed it for a corner at least. However it started from a throw deep in our half so others are as responsible imo.

Overall i think we deserved the win, you had decent spells and showed quality in your goals but our overall play was better all game really. Passing, movement, transitional play, energy etc.

Defensively your a sorry state (not Smiths fault entirely) but i think his style is very gung ho and it leaves teams exposed,  with your defence thats risky.

Thought McGinn was excellent,  Kodjia and Abraham to with Bolasie shining in moments.

A lot of talk about your need for defenders but i really think you need a proper holding midfielder as much. If your going to have high pressing full backs you have to be able to switch to a back 3, to do that you need a defensive minded midfielder.

Smith has a habit of prioritising ball players in midfield over steel, Ryan Woods at  Brentford in the deep role, Hourihane for you, its admirable and in possession it's great but imo its a bit to expansive for this league.

He tried Whelan but he is a bit old now.

You need someone like Busquets, Fernandinho, Eric Dier, Wanyama etc.

Obviously not that class but that type, they are there respective sides insurance policy, Busquets happens to be awesome on the ball to but first and foremost he was a defensive rock for Peps Barcelona.

We have had Phillips doing that job for us, dropping into a back 3 when the full backs press high. I think that is someone you lack and that sort of player is something you desperately need imo.

Grealish a huge loss clearly, you had very little control or retention in midfield  Tuanzebe to undoubtedly a loss. But thats where Smith earns his coin, good coaches have to make the best of it, felt he made a few questionable tactical calls tbh.

Bielsa impacted the game positively for us, bringing on Clarke, playing Hernandez central, Alioski on the right, he has done an amazing job and pur match day squad yesterday cost about the same as Kodjia for perspective.

You have the best front line in the league imo with Kodjia, Abraham,  Bolasie, El Ghazi, Adomah and Hogan. But your defence is a liability, needsbig investment and more power and defensive knowhow in midfield imo.

Really enjoyable game i felt, result aside it was a great advert for this league, when you see some of the dross Sky have to big up as a Super Sunday game, that game infront of 40k people pisses all over a lot of Prem games in terms of atmosphere, quality and passion (there ya go Hecky and Brucey).

We have a LUFC fan from Chile on our forum, this game was shown live on ESPN apparently, only 2nd division game to be broadcast there.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Very good summary.....can't argue at all.

Where I would worry at tad, if I was you, would be....all our conceded goals were easily defended against and probably the result of Brain Farts.....It needs a defensive rebuild.

The second goal of Janssens has been happening for many seasons and its not the first time he has done it, so I am reluctant to have sympathy with us, for something that has reared its ugly head for yonks. 

Your comment on the midfield is accurate too....But Steve Bruce deployed about 8 players to defend, so its no wonder when a manager comes in like Dean and plays the game the way it should be played, finds that players can't cope individually at the back.....He will sort it.

I thought aspects of your game was very impressive, the ratting the energy levels, the persistence at 2-0 down, to be fair, is was for the best part of an hour, but as you say, your first goal and the writing was on the wall....in boxing terms you "out pointed" us, you was the ones throwing all the punches, had the energy and intensity and control of the football.

Looking at Deans face I sense some of our players are as good as history, in terms of his long terms plans.

I guess every team wants to take something away afterwards....but that could so easily have been a draw, not really any good to either of us, but it could.

I think in conclusion, while we have to rely on certain players in our squad ( and all teams do of course) i can't see us hanging on to the great work the lads do up front.

best of luck for the new year.....Energy levels and fitness alone Leeds deserved something out of that game, Villa certainly gift wrapped it for you.

happy Xmas

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Junxs said:

Can't believe the negativity on here, we took the game to the last kick of the match to lose to top of the table. In parts we were the better side but our defence let us down in the last minute of the game. Thought it was a very entertaining game.

Lets not forget that was a make shift defence with 2 regulars missing from it through injury, again - it was against top placed team in the league.

Some of the comments are just laughable, especially the person who said we cant shake the losing mentality - thats our first defeat in 8 games (and weve been playing nothing but promotion hopefuls during that run).

I'm still buzzing with excitement despite the defeat and look forward to every game

On reflection you are right, we have had a very tough run of fixtures, we were robbed at West Brom. Leeds Were without doubt the best team we have played this season and we came close to getting a point. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I take that is referenced to me, which is fair enough if that's your opinion of what it is.

For me, I like the occasional bet and I will bet how I view how the game is going, regardless of it being for or against Villa and at 2-0 we still looked like we were going to concede goals and yes that is not a good sign and one we need to eradicate ASAP.

I would much preferred to be celebrating a Villa win this evening I assure you but unfortunately we came up short.  

A manager who is totally empathetic to our pain of losing, I like how he begrudged Leeds their victory and mocked the subsequent celebrations. He knows we got what we deserved, but them celebrations done his Swede right in, so the last thing he was going to be was magnanimous.  It's Leeds, after all, and who really likes them ? He will see where we need to be strengthened and I'm fairly confident we will improve , certainly defensively.  I'm excited at the thought of how good we could become .

On 23/12/2018 at 22:57, Junxs said:

Can't believe the negativity on here, we took the game to the last kick of the match to lose to top of the table. In parts we were the better side but our defence let us down in the last minute of the game. Thought it was a very entertaining game.

Lets not forget that was a make shift defence with 2 regulars missing from it through injury, again - it was against top placed team in the league.

Some of the comments are just laughable, especially the person who said we cant shake the losing mentality - thats our first defeat in 8 games (and weve been playing nothing but promotion hopefuls during that run).

I'm still buzzing with excitement despite the defeat and look forward to every game

The defence let us down in the 57 minute, after that we was toast in terms of initiative....we were bullied all over the field.....the second was just waiting to come....the third is hard to find the words, just a team smelling blood and persistence paid off.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cjay said:

Left this for a day before giving my opinion.

I thought you played well first 20mins especially , looked a real threat and your goals were well worked and taken, i was fearful that this could be a WBA.

We had decent control of the game first half, passing the ball well and created half decent chances but lacked a bit of clinicality which is what you had shown to take a 2 goal lead in the first place.

We should have had a pen 1st half when Hutton wrestled Jansson to the ground, but were a bit fortunate to not concede a dangerous free kick very early on when Davis fouled Kodjia so hey ho.

2nd half thought you again started well and looked threatening for a bit, we took a while to get started. A great challenge from Jansson denying Kodjia and another effort from Jodjia went just over.

Hasn't been mentioned much in the reports but Hernandez did brilliantly to keep the ball and find Clarke. Jack is our new golden boy, he has impressed a lot already and this moment was a matter of when. Great confidence for a lad who only turned 18 last month to run at an experienced international like Elmohamady, he fully deserved the finish at the end.

And then you folded, i dont mean that disrespectfully but aside from 5 minutes late on i felt only 1 side would score again, was just whether we would score just the once.

Whoever decided Hutton should mark Jansson should give there head a wobble, a warning had already happened 1st half, it was ignored and Jansson powered home an excellent Hernandez cross.

Bolasie had a great chance but for reasons only known to himself he went with it with the outside of his right foot., the skill incidentally to beat 2 defenders on his own got a clap from me tbh.

The winner, clearly Elmo should have done anything but what he did, couldn't let it go because Clarke was behind him but he could have headed it for a corner at least. However it started from a throw deep in our half so others are as responsible imo.

Overall i think we deserved the win, you had decent spells and showed quality in your goals but our overall play was better all game really. Passing, movement, transitional play, energy etc.

Defensively your a sorry state (not Smiths fault entirely) but i think his style is very gung ho and it leaves teams exposed,  with your defence thats risky.

Thought McGinn was excellent,  Kodjia and Abraham to with Bolasie shining in moments.

A lot of talk about your need for defenders but i really think you need a proper holding midfielder as much. If your going to have high pressing full backs you have to be able to switch to a back 3, to do that you need a defensive minded midfielder.

Smith has a habit of prioritising ball players in midfield over steel, Ryan Woods at  Brentford in the deep role, Hourihane for you, its admirable and in possession it's great but imo its a bit to expansive for this league.

He tried Whelan but he is a bit old now.

You need someone like Busquets, Fernandinho, Eric Dier, Wanyama etc.

Obviously not that class but that type, they are there respective sides insurance policy, Busquets happens to be awesome on the ball to but first and foremost he was a defensive rock for Peps Barcelona.

We have had Phillips doing that job for us, dropping into a back 3 when the full backs press high. I think that is someone you lack and that sort of player is something you desperately need imo.

Grealish a huge loss clearly, you had very little control or retention in midfield  Tuanzebe to undoubtedly a loss. But thats where Smith earns his coin, good coaches have to make the best of it, felt he made a few questionable tactical calls tbh.

Bielsa impacted the game positively for us, bringing on Clarke, playing Hernandez central, Alioski on the right, he has done an amazing job and pur match day squad yesterday cost about the same as Kodjia for perspective.

You have the best front line in the league imo with Kodjia, Abraham,  Bolasie, El Ghazi, Adomah and Hogan. But your defence is a liability, needsbig investment and more power and defensive knowhow in midfield imo.

Really enjoyable game i felt, result aside it was a great advert for this league, when you see some of the dross Sky have to big up as a Super Sunday game, that game infront of 40k people pisses all over a lot of Prem games in terms of atmosphere, quality and passion (there ya go Hecky and Brucey).

We have a LUFC fan from Chile on our forum, this game was shown live on ESPN apparently, only 2nd division game to be broadcast there.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Great summary. Merry Christmas and hope we can join you in the prem next season.

Edited by Frobisher

Â