Drones at Gatwick

LakotaDakota

32 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

well one bellend with a drone has managed to shut down one of the busiest airports in the world for 24 hours simply by flying it around so can't see a rush for massdrones dropping parcels everywhere

Just been reading this.

Hundreds of thousands of people now stranded everywhere cause of some imbecile flying a drone over the Gatwick runway last night.

53 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

well one bellend with a drone has managed to shut down one of the busiest airports in the world for 24 hours simply by flying it around so can't see a rush for massdrones dropping parcels everywhere

SkyFence would have only cost small change in comparison ... i'd imagine they will be getting a phone call from UK airports sometime soon 

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

SkyFence would have only cost small change in comparison ... i'd imagine they will be getting a phone call from UK airports sometime soon 

Yes.  I hope all their staff can account for their movements over the last day.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Just been reading this.

Hundreds of thousands of people now stranded everywhere cause of some imbecile flying a drone over the Gatwick runway last night.

The average drone can stay in the sky for about 15 minutes. A really good one about half an hour. This is a sustained attack by an organised group not just one moron flying in the wrong place. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The average drone can stay in the sky for about 15 minutes. A really good one about half an hour. This is a sustained attack by an organised group not just one moron flying in the wrong place. 

True, wether it's one idiot or a group of them still stupidity though mate.

I feel for the masses that are stranded.

11 minutes ago, andym said:

Dutch police actually tried training eagles, didn't work 

They should try seagulls. Fly some drones carrying crisps and pasties around some young seagulls. Next time they see a drone they'll be after it.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

True, wether it's one idiot or a group of them still stupidity though mate.

I feel for the masses that are stranded.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that it's almost certainly malicious, not just stupid. 

It's exposed a pretty huge problem in the industry really. Turns out it doesn't take a huge amount of resources at all to completely shut down one of the biggest airports. Another cell in Heathrow and Stansted and this would become incredibly problematic. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

They're calling the army in apparently. Been wondering all day why they didn't just get some snipers in and blow them out of the sky.

I'd bet money this is some environmental group. News saying the drones they're using aren't cheap ones. Bloody hippies!

They can't shoot them because when they miss, which they will because these things are small, quick and potentially very high up, the bullets have to come down somewhere, and given where Gatwick is, you risk hitting someone.

Â