Best and worst hotels you have stayed in?

Xela

Worst for me was the Etap in Cardiff Centre... think its called the Ibis Budget now. Its how I imagine an open prison is. Police were called as the guy in the room next door was threatening to kill his missus after she had locked him out. Luckily he couldn't kick the door down as the doors were solid. Speaking to the receptionist the next day, this didn't appear to be an out of the ordinary incident! Only stopped there as it was a stag do and it was all pre-booked. 

In terms of the best, The Landmark in Bangkok is very nice and not that expensive for a 5 star (about £110 per night). Its way more than you need to spend to have a nice hotel in BKK but sometimes you think "why not?!" -  https://www.landmarkbangkok.com/

I spent a 10 days at the Burj Al Arab back in 2010 for Christmas and New Year

I doubt I'll experience anything like it again tbh   ... kids got Steiff bears on arrival ( guess they were around £100 each) the cosmetics they give you in the bathroom are about £300's worth of perfume and aftershave , free canapés and champagne delivered to your suite everyday by your butler  .... the room is on 2 floors , the bathroom about the size of my living room  ,  the place was just incredible , service is unbelievable , food amazing and needless to say came at a price

News years eve was a banquet followed by  £2m worth of fireworks and Sister sledge to entertain us ( make of SS what you will as to it being a good or bad thing !!)

Worst hotel  - hard to define  , I mean I've stayed half way up mountains in hotels that consist of a room , some form of mattress on the floor , one plug socket and massive spiders and they've been a brilliant experience  ..my Hotel in North Korea the other month smelt of damp , had  a mattress  and a pillow from the Flintstones a lift that didn't work meaning you had to walk  up and down 22 flights of stairs numerous times a day    ..but I wouldn't have swapped that experience for anything and the level of friendship and service the staff gave to us made it up there as one of the best experiences  , whatever the lack of quality

so , probably the worst was I went to Tenerife  one Christmas with my girlfriend at that time , I'd worked myself to death and just wanted a bit of winter sun and a chance to chill and catch up on some sleep ..unfortunately the "here we go " mob that were also staying in the hotel meant the pool was a ghetto blaster zone from mid day to around 5 am every night  .. quite a lot of families were staying there and the hotel just weren't interested in their complaints  ...  flight went home around 3 am but the hotel made you check out at mid day  and wouldn't even let you pay to keep the room on as the hotel was full (it wasn't )  think it was the point where I decided never to book a package holiday again in my life

• Like 1

Best -

A city facing room at Shangri-La @ The Shard. 

Nastro Azzurro in Sorrento. 

Worst - So many to choose from that I can't remember.  I once stayed in one in Middlesbrough where the bed was supported by 4 beer crates; the locals in the bar made it clear we were not welcome and the owner sat with us a breakfast wearing a nightie and dressing gown. He didn't look good. 

Will have to have a think, I know best view straight away was century southern tower in shinjuku, huge windows giving a stunning view, their main reception is incredible, pretty sure the hotel will overlook the new Olympic stadium too

been to some good ones but not many great ones, never spent more than £300 a night (I think the most expensive hotel I've ever had might be staying cool in brum) and I've got more in to airbnb now

worst is probably hotel formula 1 in Liverpool for a stag do, the entire place was white rock, I'd guess on a Monday morning someone comes in wearing a hazmat suit and just hoses the whole place down

Worst was a Holiday Inn Express in Motherwell. 

Was away with work and the nice hotel we usually use there was fully booked on the last night of our trip so we had to stay in the Holiday Inn instead.

It was awful and It's hard to describe why. It wasn't like a nightmare hotel stay where stuff went wrong, or it was disgusting or anything. But it was just a depressing, shite hotel. If I"d had to stay there the whole week I'd have gone home.

I also stayed in a 1 star hotel in Placa Reial in Barcelona on a stag do. That place was pretty horrendous.

Best was probably the Shangri La in Kuala Lumpur

• 2 weeks later...

Best was Caesars Palace in Vegas for my wedding.  We paid for a double, supreme, best room ever (apart from 3 levels) room or summat, which would have been $400 a night, then got bumped up when we said we were getting married.  We had loads of room, huge windows overlooking the strip, a double Jacuzzi bath in a huge bath room with massive marble worktops, and his and her sinks, two showers, the mini bar was bigger than my fridge freezer and the bed was so huge I never got to have sex in it cos I couldn't find her.

When we got back, I said to the wife that that room would have been pretty expensive, and it was meant to be $800 a night according to the web.  We also got given $500 worth of vodka and gin (it was called bottle service, and was just "slightly above average" vod/gin with a couple of mixers, so you'd have cried had it been real money for what it was.)  But it was nice for nothing. 

I also just got given whatever I wanted on Freemont street drink wise, and became very good mates with fireball whiskey.  In Vegas, just say you're getting married and you'll get free shit all day long :lol:  

Worse was some "best western" in Wales when I was doing energy surveys about 8 years ago.  Like @Stevo985 said, there was nothing particularly poor about it, but it was just depressing.  Huge, long corridors, tiny rooms, even smaller bathrooms, you had to stand on top of the wardrobe to get any wifi signal and the food was just... warmed up todd in a microwave.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Worse was some "best western" in Wales when I was doing energy surveys about 8 years ago.  Like @Stevo985 said, there was nothing particularly poor about it, but it was just depressing.  Huge, long corridors, tiny rooms, even smaller bathrooms, you had to stand on top of the wardrobe to get any wifi signal and the food was just... warmed up todd in a microwave.  

Yeah exactly that. Just a soulless shit hole of a hotel. Nothign went wrong, just everything was depressingly awful.

Like shopping at Netto. Just being in there made me want to slit my wrists.

I didn't dare eat at the Holiday Inn Express I was at. In fact reception was attached to the "restaurant" so it was the first thing I saw. Resembled a bad school canteen. First thing I said as we walked in was "I'm not **** eating here"

Edited by Stevo985

The worst was a shithole typical Blackpool hotel about twenty years ago.  The accountancy firm I worked at in manchester used to organise occasional weekends away, and we stayed there.  I shared a room with one of the other lads, and the room had to be seen to be believed; damp on the walls, pubes in the plughole, polyester sheets, that sort of thing  The door into the "ensuite" was one of those swinging saloon type doors, that only covered about a third of the space, and had slats in.  When the other lad decided to have a post beers and curry clear out in the morning, you could see him sat on the bog, and obviously hear and smell everything.

The best was probably the Tr*mp in Las Vegas when my sister got married there four or five years ago.  We had the entire top floor penthouse suite, with floor to ceiling windows and a brilliant view over the strip.  For about the same price a night as a reasonable three star hotel in London.  He might be a shit President and human being, but that hotel was nice.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Worst was a hotel in Nottingham, now closed down and the name escapes me, it was cheap and catered to stag weekends and weekend revellers, I stayed in it as part of the former and it was awful, noisy, musty, no toilets. Dreadful.

Days Inn*, Abington on the M74. 

I had a room in the Sheraton in Edinburgh booked but was driving up late and knew I'd never complete the last hour so I bailed at 11:30 and opted for a motorway hotel. I've stayed in such places before but had no idea how bad this one was going to be. On reflection, I should have worked it out when he said it was £25 a night but it was the single worst place I've ever stayed (and I've stayed at Pontins Prestatyn). 

Never again.

* Why'd they call it the Days Inn? Cos you wouldn't want to spend the night there!

• 4 months later...

Best - Hilton on Copacabana Beach in Rio. Good hotel but the location made it and felt relatively safe throughout Carnivale.

Worst - A motel in LA. Thought I was going to get shot. If ever you go LA can be a great city but spend the money to stay somewhere in a decent area, it gets grim fast.

Â