Jump to content

Lovre Kalinić


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, New_Hope said:

To be fair....I'd like to see how you would have stopped a shot at goal 2m (if that) away from you at full match speed.

? Am I an international goal keeper ? I'll answer that for you. 

No I'm not.

I've played football most of my life and watched games for the last 38 years.

I also know when someone plays poorly be it a keeper defender or what ever, I've never played professional football either.

 

I'm not getting your point ? 

 

He had a shit game , wishing he didn't doesn't make his performance less shit.

 

I'm sure he will get better but today he was shit, basic mistakes, out of position shit distribution.

If it were nyland I'm sure there would be no one defending the shit performance. 

 

I was hoping for an imposing confident keeper. He was neither today.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No he didn't , he wasn't great but did enough to say he has something our past keepers haven't , our defense was dreadful. Hutton for all his heart isn't going to be in a team that is consistent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tinker said:

No he didn't , he wasn't great but did enough to say he has something our past keepers haven't , our defense was dreadful. Hutton for all his heart isn't going to be in a team that is consistent. 

I'm not saying he won't be good , I'm saying today he was dog dirt. 

Why people are pretending he wasn't or coming up with excuses for an inept performance I really haven't got a clue ? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I'm not saying he won't be good , I'm saying today he was dog dirt. 

Why people are pretending he wasn't or coming up with excuses for an inept performance I really haven't got a clue ? 

I haven't read the thread, nor did I watch the game.

My guess is, he is replacing Nyland, and being an international GK from the WC runner-up, people want him to be good enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

That's the trouble having a 9ft goalkeeper!.. It takes them 5mins to hit the deck! 

There is some truth in that. 

Someone said earlier that his biggest weakness is getting down quickly and that looked to me like what happened with the first goal. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I'm not saying he won't be good , I'm saying today he was dog dirt. 

Why people are pretending he wasn't or coming up with excuses for an inept performance I really haven't got a clue ? 

I'm with this. Yes he was behind a poor defence, and yes he was probably nervous, but on the day his performance simply wasn't good enough. Having excuses is fine and I certainly don't disagree with some of them, but why some people are saying he played well or looked good yesterday is totally beyond me.

And yes, de Gea was hopeless at first, and that argument can be made. But it seems to get trotted out these days every time a new goalkeeper looks dodgy, no matter what club they're at. Very few goalkeepers will turn out to be anything like as good as him. And I also don't think we've bought a commanding, relatively experienced international goalkeeper (who is replacing someone who was an excellent shot stopper but dropped a lot of clangers) with the idea that they'll probably make a lot of mistakes while they settle. We've paid a lot of money for someone solid and reliable.

All that said, of course it would be unfair to judge him on one game, especially his debut. I have no idea whether he's actually any good or not. But I do hope he is!

Edited by Troglodyte
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can people enlighten me as to what he did in the first half? 

I only saw the second half and he conceded two goals which I wouldn’t particularly lay any blame him for. Other than that he cut off a few through balls by having a really got starting position and saved a few shots solidly that I’d have expected him to stop. That was basically it. 

Not sure what happened in the first half to get everyone so worried as second half there was very little to get concerned about. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, villaglint said:

Can people enlighten me as to what he did in the first half? 

I only saw the second half and he conceded two goals which I wouldn’t particularly lay any blame him for. Other than that he cut off a few through balls by having a really got starting position and saved a few shots solidly that I’d have expected him to stop. That was basically it. 

Not sure what happened in the first half to get everyone so worried as second half there was very little to get concerned about. 

I think you are correct

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sidcow said:

There is some truth in that. 

Someone said earlier that his biggest weakness is getting down quickly and that looked to me like what happened with the first goal. 

I thought he was slow to react for all 3 goals tbf,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, villaglint said:

Can people enlighten me as to what he did in the first half? 

I only saw the second half and he conceded two goals which I wouldn’t particularly lay any blame him for. Other than that he cut off a few through balls by having a really got starting position and saved a few shots solidly that I’d have expected him to stop. That was basically it. 

Not sure what happened in the first half to get everyone so worried as second half there was very little to get concerned about. 

It's already been said. I'd be surprised when you watch goal 3 you don't think he's out of position, moving towards 2 players who are already at the ball and in his way, exposing his entire goal. He's not covering his post effectively as he could do that standing away from the players.

I'm also surprised you say his positioning was good, this was apart from spilling every shot he got to, his worst trait on the day.

It was a terrible day at the office and one I hope he doesn't repeat

Link to post
Share on other sites

One game in and we are already doom mongering, god help our players, and god forbid we give new players a little time rather than crucify them.

The guy is still living in a hotel, eating hotel food and trying to settle in, give him some time.

I also watched all 3 goals, I broke each goal down a page or two back, could he have done better?, possibly, were all 3 a direct result of the fact our defence couldn't stop a baby stealing a Lolly off them?, definitely.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought I would look at this thread, to cheer myself up. I have not been disappointed! This guy has played 1 game. Yes.............. that’s 1 game. If you think he was at fault for the first goal then I suggest you go and do something else on a Saturday afternoon. I have been watching villa since the mid 80’s and we have never had a keeper who would have done better for that goal. He did his job. He blocked the initial shot really well, making himself big and difficult to pass. The fact that the ball then ricocheted off the player and in is pure bad luck.

The other 2 goals were the result of some terrible school boy defending! I thought the keeper looked confident and assured. I bet we stop conceding so many goals from set pieces now. Give the poor bloke a chance to prove himself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

One game in and we are already doom mongering, god help our players, and god forbid we give new players a little time rather than crucify them.

The guy is still living in a hotel, eating hotel food and trying to settle in, give him some time.

I also watched all 3 goals, I broke each goal down a page or two back, could he have done better?, possibly, were all 3 a direct result of the fact our defence couldn't stop a baby stealing a Lolly off them?, definitely.

No, people are judging that 1 performance on what it was, shit.

Not seen anyone doom mongering at all, and not read anyone saying he is shit.

Seen several people saying that performance was shit.

 

People and their made up points 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, brummybloke said:

It's already been said. I'd be surprised when you watch goal 3 you don't think he's out of position, moving towards 2 players who are already at the ball and in his way, exposing his entire goal. He's not covering his post effectively as he could do that standing away from the players.

I'm also surprised you say his positioning was good, this was apart from spilling every shot he got to, his worst trait on the day.

It was a terrible day at the office and one I hope he doesn't repeat

There were positives and negatives. I think you're maybe a bit harsh on him spilling everything (handling generally seemed ok to me, can't remember him spilling anything of note. Any moments in particular?) and the first goal seemed more bad luck to me. I also thought he was better ball-to-feet than I expected, and he looked more comfortable than Nyland would with the few crosses I remember him having to deal with.

However, I think you are bang on with the positioning issue and that is the biggest worry for me. That moment in the first half where he came rushing out and ended up in no man's land was genuinely baffling. And for the third goal it looked at the time like he'd made a very similar error.

Hoping this is first game nerves or something. I'm definitely not writing him off after one game. But if these particular mistakes turn out not to be one-offs, then I think this could be a much bigger issue than Nyland's aerial deficiencies.

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, brummybloke said:

No, people are judging that 1 performance on what it was, shit.

Not seen anyone doom mongering at all, and not read anyone saying he is shit.

Seen several people saying that performance was shit.

 

People and their made up points 🤔

even the best players can look not so good, when they are surrounded by dross.

I agree it wasnt a great debut, but i also have great sympathy for him, as the defence was shocking for at least 2 of the goals, totally shocking, i cant understate it enough, our defence is like a Sunday league amateur side.

two of the goals he conceded, they shouldnt have even had the chances.

Edited by MaVilla
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â