Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

He will go straight in, 100%

It's not just Nyland performances Smith has to consider (performances that have largely improved), it's the trust the defence has in the goalkeeper. Having a big, dominant goalkeeper like Kalinic coming in will be a massive boost for the back line.

Can't fault Nyland for his form since Kalinic has been announced though, he's been very good topped off yesterday with the penalty save.

• Like 1

Just seen Lovre Kalinic in the Birmingham Mail article stating Lovre has a 40% sell on clause written into his contract according to homeland reports... I hope thats not the case.

That could be a massive amount of money for Croatias no.1 🙄 Some really encouraging words about how badly hes wanted to join us though.

6 hours ago, El Kami Ghazi said:

Just seen Lovre Kalinic in the Birmingham Mail article stating Lovre has a 40% sell on clause written into his contract according to homeland reports... I hope thats not the case.

That could be a massive amount of money for Croatias no.1 🙄 Some really encouraging words about how badly hes wanted to join us though.

I wouldn't worry mate, he's 28 in a 5 year deal. So 33 by the time he comes to leaving us potentially (I can't see us recouping any of our £7m at that stage).

Exp: 40% of a bosman or 40% of £2m future deal isn't much I would worry about.  :thumb:

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, El Kami Ghazi said:

Just seen Lovre Kalinic in the Birmingham Mail article stating Lovre has a 40% sell on clause written into his contract according to homeland reports*

* only if the future transfer fee is higher than 7.7m € , according to 24sata.hr ...

Edited by slovenian

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

So that’s the FFP workaround. Low initial fee with a big cut on future profit which works fine because if we get promoted we’d look to replace all the first team - bar grealish and Mcginn maybe - within 6 to 18 months. 

Exactly. This is really smart from villa. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nyland has been so bad we all think this guy with be an instant improvement. But in reality I don’t think we’ve had a decent keeper that’s hit the ground running since Friedal! 

Could take him a few games to settle. 

Shay Given aside I don't think we've signed a keeper that's been established let alone the No1 for their international team in that time though.

Given started well then got old very quickly.

Guzan was a prospect and was at the club years before seriously playing.

Steer was inexperienced young and a development prospect still has yet to prove himself.

Bunn is to put it politely a career number 2/3 and was never signed to be 1st choice.

Gollini was another inexperienced young prospect.

Sam Johnstone again an inexperienced young prospect

And nyland maybe I'm just ignorant but I'd never heard of the guy, despite the fact he is picked(but rarely plays) for norway

Edited by jjaacckk91
The more I look at our list of signed goalkeepers the more I realise how we have neglected it for years.

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I thought I saw somewhere that he and Elphick are both able to play against QPR?

I've seen both so not sure.

Pretty sure I read that players can't play on the same day they are registered and we can't register anyone before Jan 1 so it would rule them out.

But since Elphick is our player already he might be able to play anyway?

Honestly no idea.

Edit Birmingham mail saying Kalinic wont be able to play until Saturday.

Edited by sne

Ive seen him a couple of times for Croatia, remember watching his performances out of interest due to us being linked with him in that last season in the prem and he didnt impress me tbh. He spent most his career in his homeland and a couple of seasons at a midtable Belgian side. 28 now, dont think he's going to be anything great. Probably at his level with us right now in the championship. But I think people expecting him to be a huge upgrade on Nyland might be a bit disappointed.

Think theres a lot of Villa fans who think he must be the nuts because he's Croatias (default) number 1 (after Subasic' retiring). Not seen the game today so cant comment on his performance but hopefully he can be decent for us. 

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Not at fault for any of the goals but nothing impressed today on his debut. Hoping for better soon. 

Let’s be honest though, Nyland would be getting abuse for the same performance.

• Like 2

Â