Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

Good luck Lovre. You've got the league's worst full backs ahead of you and a tiny central defense. Moreover most of the fan base will blame you whenever your defense absolutely !"#!"# up. No matter what happens, just know that you'll always be the person that gets blamed when Hutton and Elmohamady give the ball away two inches from goal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

No thats bullshit we have experienced international defenders. Nyland is no Buffon but **** sake defence has take responsibility. He was ok today 

This. A thoundsand times over. No keeper can fix that we can't defend. Fickle fans identify the guy that's gotta stand there and cover gaps left by defenders who have no clue what defending is. You could put Buffon behind our D and we'd still concede most of the goals we already do because shooters are allowed high percentage shooting chances and free range within our penalty area.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 22:36, sidcow said:

Today Nyland stretched and tipped for a corner an over hit cross. 

I thought to myself that Kalinic would just stand there and pluck it out of the air. 

Personally I thought he did well to keep that out of the net. The hatred for Nyland is making Kalinic expectations go through the roof, what did we call it on here? the Carlos Gil effect? The more someone doesnt play the better they get.. He hasnt even made his debut yet and people who never seen him play are expecting him to be the answer to all our defensive problems. 

I just hope Kalinic doesnt make a mistake in his first few games, because with the fans on his back there will be no coming back from it. Suddenly that 5 year contract will seem like a life prison sentence.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Personally I thought he did well to keep that out of the net. The hatred for Nyland is making Kalinic expectations go through the roof, what did we call it on here? the Carlos Gil effect? The more someone doesnt play the better they get.. He hasnt even made his debut yet and people who never seen him play are expecting him to be the answer to all our defensive problems. 

I just hope Kalinic doesnt make a mistake in his first few games, because with the fans on his back there will be no coming back from it. Suddenly that 5 year contract will seem like a life prison sentence.

I agree. The lack of patience that some people have now is ridiculous. It is also counter productive. We need to have reasonable expectations and let people settle in. It is unlikely that we will get top 2 but we will make the play offs. Hopefully by then we will be nearing our peak if we support the coaches and players.

• Like 2

Early on his (Nylan) fumbling cost us goals and points - and whilst he hasn't risen to any great heights don't think any of the recent goals have been down to him . That said Lovre CV on the face of it looks superior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I didn't make that statement out of any hatred of Nyland or criticising his save. It was simply stating the fact that a 6.5 ft keeper would be big enough to catch it. Bit of an overreaction there @Junxs

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I didn't make that statement out of any hatred of Nyland or criticising his save. It was simply stating the fact that a 6.5 ft keeper would be big enough to catch it. Bit of an overreaction there @Junxs

Sorry, the comment was made to the last few pages in general not directly at you. But multiquoting is a bit of a pain, especially when it clears your editor when you switch pages. I was really only replying to you in the first sentence. Think it was VillaLad who said that the whole defence will improve just because of the goalkeeper change.

I thought he was 6'7 not 6'5? Either way dont think it would have been a simple catch as it would have gone in off the cross bar. I maintain Nyland did well to track back and tip it over the bar.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I thought he was 6'7 not 6'5? Either way dont think it would have been a simple catch as it would have gone in off the cross bar. I maintain Nyland did well to track back and tip it over the bar.

He’s 8’7” with hands like hockey nets. He would have chested that shot down and ran the length of the pitch, before bulldozing ball and goalkeeper into the back of the net. I can’t see anyone ever scoring against us again. 6 across midfield and 4 strikers for the rest of the season. 

• Haha 1

Personally I wouldn't play him on the 5th, it's versus Swansea in the cup isn't it?

If that is the case I would personally play a development team versus Swansea, like ohare, Revan, davis and any other players who dont normally play in the first team on a weekly basis etc, I would also let nyland play in that game.

Reason being is to give him a few more days to settle in to the club, as well rest some players as it's a congested week, the cup to me isn't important, we need fresh legs in the league imo.

Also if we did do a development team I would t want him conceding goals and maybe knocking his confidence in his first game not playing with the A team.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

I’ve done limited research - but where is the evidence to suggest he is Croatia’s number 1? He didn’t play WC semi final or final and only has 14 appearances doesn’t he?

Their number 1 from the WC, Subasic, has retired so Kalinin has taken the mantle as Croatia’s current number 1. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

I’ve done limited research - but where is the evidence to suggest he is Croatia’s number 1? He didn’t play WC semi final or final and only has 14 appearances doesn’t he?

Subasic (AS Monaco - 34 years old) played all of Croatia's games in the world cup (in goal ofc), apart from the game versus Iceland where Kalinic played.

Of the 5 UEFA Nations League games since Sept, Kalinic played in 4 of them (vs Portugal, Spain, Spain again, England).

There was also one International match after the WC (vs Portugal), which Kalinic played in. (not sure what that match was all about?)

How i would understand that information (not confirmed or known by myself - im guessing), is that he's currently the No 2 GK for Croatia, with a few caps under his belt, possibly now being played after the WC to develop in to their No 1 when Subasic retires from international football?

edit: Jamaican Villa confirmed above Subasic has retired, so it does seem i was mostly right, and now he's Croatia's No 1 GK.

Edited by MaVilla

Â