Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

Let 6 goals go past him in his first two games, but I think he's still looked solid.  He's made some incredible saves and you get the impression that if Nyland had been in goal during our last two games, we would have conceded more.  It's early days, but it's looking more and more likely that our keeper issues from the front half of the season are a thing of the past.  

14 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Fella, Nyland was getting some abuse after his debut, which ironically was against Wigan (only 2 conceded) by his 2nd/3rd game he was getting called ‘shite’, a ‘disaster’ and ‘Poundland’. This was replicated in the stands, against Wigan in Nylands debut there were groans, grumbles and shouts of abuse not encouragement. He was seemingly blamed after Jedinaks dreadfuly short back pass. As the season progressed he became the major reason we were losing games and conceding, this was all behind the same ‘abject’ defence, which offered him very little protection. It just seemed like people had made their decision and his face didn’t fit. His fast thinking and distribution was a massive positive and raised the tempo of our play and he also made some great reaction saves, yet this was overlooked. People were far too critical of him and didn’t give him time before jumping on his back. There was a real sense of zero credit given. This culminated as some seemingly ‘celebrating’ him getting a serious injury. 

I get it, you have to land on your feet at a big club in the championship but I just think it’s hypocritical that Kalinic is not measured by the same stick. He hasn’t looked commanding, hasn’t claimed crosses, he’s condeced 6 in 2 games and he looks sluggish, his positioning looks suspect and his distribution has been poor. I’m not advocating that we should start criticising Kalinic. He needs time, and he’ll have both positives and negatives to his game. We as a fan base just seem so impatient and hyperbolic. I, for one, wish Nyland was an option to push him for the No. 1 spot and was certainly not happy or indifferent when I heard of his injury.

Kalinic already looks a lot better than Nyland, it's pretty clear.

10 hours ago, Czechlad said:

But he is croatian? Must be really good to win Belgium's GK of the year. 

Best keeper in their national league, to be more specific. So nationality is irrelevant 😉

Another goal conceded where the big man couldn't get down quickly enough. 

I am very concerned that we are going to be seeing a lot of shots squirming under his body. 

Edited by sidcow

Just now, sidcow said:

A other goal conceded where the big man couldn't get down quickly enough. 

I am very concerned that we are going to be seeing a lot of shots squirming under his body. 

That was the general consensus from the Gent fans.

along with him being shaky with the ball at his feet.

Bang on so far.

About 90 seconds before the first goal, a cross was put in about 12 yards  out, and we got lucky with this clown coming out, missing the ball and ending up in no man's land. As for the goal, I don't know what to say.

From the one angle provided on avtv it looked like a shot any good goalkeeper would have saved. Straight through/under him. In no mans land for a cross in the first half too where there was zero reason to  come out and got lucky not to concede. Goalkeeping department seems a mess at the moment but the defence don't do anyone any favours. 

Â