Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20181219_04046859

Today Lovre Kalinic (28) was spotted at Birmingham airport. Inquiry tells us that the Croatian goalkeeper from AA Gent is close to a transition to Aston Villa and was expected for his medical tests.

Kalinic, who missed the cup match against STVV due to a slight injury, this summer with Croatia reached the finals of the World Championship in Russia and has been dreaming of a transfer to England.

Although he will have to try it first in the second class. 'The Villans' are only eighth in the Championsship after 33 days of play with 33 points. That is 12 points less than leader Leeds United and 11 points less than Norwich City. For Villa it comes down to the top six. In it, four teams play for the third and last ticket to the Premier League.

At Aston Villa, Kalinic meets ex-Standard player Birkir Bjarnason. Other famous names include Yannick Bolasie, Anwar El Ghazi, Tammy Abraham and Jack Grealish. Currently the Norwegian Örjan Nyland is the number one in Birmingham. It only came to EUR 3 million last summer from the German FC Ingolstadt and held five times in twenty appearances.

Lovre Kalinic came over in the winter of 2017 from Hajduk Split, his youth club with which he won the Croatian cup in 2013. The Buffalo's then paid 3 million euros for the goalkeeper, who now has sixteen international matches to his name. In 79 games for AA Gent, Kalinic got 88 goals and kept his nets clean 29 times. He also got a yellow card seven times.

Edited by villa89

Quite a few sources mentioning this today, came out of the blue but they have all said its near to being completed so probs been in the pipeline for a while.

I'm absolutely delighted as I think hes the type of signing who could do a job in the premier league too !  😁

I wondered why his name looked familiar.

Interesting that it’s the same keeper from nearly three years ago. It makes me wonder do clubs keep a record of previous targets that didn’t sign, is it the same scout that’s recommended him in 2016, or is it just two separate transfer committees like the same player.

Can’t say I know much about him, but pleased that they’re bringing in a keeper and even more pleased that they’re acting quickly.

Â