Pre match thread

roonst83

On 19/12/2018 at 18:45, Cjay said:

Should be really interesting, we are very strong at the back and decent going forward, not great atm but we always score (apart from Boro). 

You are very strong going forward but dodgy at the back and almost always concede. 

Potentially we are the best attacking side in the league imo, averaged nearly 3 goals per game start of the season, that kind of dried up when Hernandez got injured before Boro then Bamford and Roofe joined him vs Millwall. 

Havent really got that goal scoring back which is a worry. 

But with Bamford back and young Jack Clarke now seemingly established there is every chance we could find that scoring form again hopefully.

Plus Pablo creates a goal scoring chance 3 times a game on average.

I dont think you can stop us scoring, Its highly unlikely we will you.

But i think our defence is more likely to cope better with your attack then the other way around. 

We have only conceded more then 1 goal 4 times this season, you've done that just under Dean Smith 5 times.

On that basis i think we have a great chance (i hope).

Our defence, will be music to your ears and Jack being out, will be an advantage to your cause.

We will come unstuck if we play like we did against Stoke.

However, i have a sneaky feeling we could have a return to form, in which case it could be difficult for you.

wouldn't like to call it .....but i would just love a clean sheet, in which case i think we will win.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Nyland

Elmo     Chester   Tuanzebe   Hutton

McGinn     El Ghazi    Hourihane

Bolasie       Tammy      Kodjia

5-4 Villa win! 

I'd like to see this line up long term if jack continues to be out, but I'm not sure if it's a bit hung up against Leeds. 

It's probably better to blood el ghazi in this new position against easier opposition. 

However if we go with it it means ds is comfortable with it, then so am I.

Just feel we will start as we did against stoke, for better or worse.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

There is no way that Smith will start O'Hare tomorrow versus the  one of the best sides in the league. Whelan will play. Its a big game- we are down to 11th today thanks to some results that have gone against us. Even if we win we will still be out of the top 6 before Christmas. We are entertaining to watch but if we are to have  a serious chance of going up this year, we have to tighten up at the back. UTV.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I think considering who we have played over the last few games our form and points return would be okay for a promotion run. Leeds and Norwich have mostly beaten teams they should beat but the damage was done at the start of the season under Bruce.

We need them to slip up a bit in order to close the gap and can't afford to lose tomorrow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

I think considering who we have played over the last few games our form and points return would be okay for a promotion run. Leeds and Norwich have mostly beaten teams they should beat but the damage was done at the start of the season under Bruce.

We need them to slip up a bit in order to close the gap and can't afford to lose tomorrow.

The damage was done in the earlier part of the season hence the decision.

0-0  Going to be interesting but most games where you expect something special end up being low key draws .

Shame Jack's out tbh, he's a big miss and we have no natural replacement with Lansbury being out as well. Maybe play a 442 with the players we have .

Leeds are a good strong team and will test us like no other team since DS has been in control. If we can beat them then it really is game on for automatic promotion . UTV 

Edited by tinker

12 hours ago, TRO said:

Our defence, will be music to your ears and Jack being out, will be an advantage to your cause.

We will come unstuck if we play like we did against Stoke.

However, i have a sneaky feeling we could have a return to form, in which case it could be difficult for you.

wouldn't like to call it .....but i would just love a clean sheet, in which case i think we will win.

I am concerned, Bielsa comparing you to WBA didnt help given what happened.

If you can find form then we may be in trouble just because despite our very impressive defensive record we are vulnerable like you and any team who plays the style we do.

Our performances recently have been more gritty then sparkling, but gritty is ok for a spell. 

Its hard to predict, we have had to block the least crosses and shots for a reason, we are very good at winning the ball back high up the pitch.

That being said your scoring lots of goals, you got 3 vs Boro. 

Just a sneaky feeling having read and looked at the highlights from Stoke, i think the loss of Grealish may be the difference.

Could be totally wrong but if we can cut the supply line off to Abraham and press you high then we have a chance imo.

But a draw will do lol

Living in Leeds for sometime gives me a little affinity for the club and they are certainly the club I would like to see promoted (after us of course!) Optimism is high in the city at the moment but they do have some key defenders out as well which will hopefully help us. I think with Jack being out Leeds may feel more confident but I have a feeling Baller and El-Ghazi will be on it today and that will be the difference. 

Villa 2-1

I see this as the last game in a tough seven game run. We have already picked up more points than I expected. 3 more today please lads

The next seven games are where we start to catch the teams above us.

Its their turn to play each other and our turn to play the minnows.