Pre match thread

roonst83

Can't wait for this one.

I'm not very confident, especially considering we're down a Jack Grealish.

Fun facts, Leeds is 2nd in the league for average possession share per game, chances created per game and pass completion rate. Villa (under Smith) is the team that occupies the best rank in each category. So that goes to show we are two teams who can take control of the game and set the tempo.

We've played either in form or top of the table teams in Smith's brief tenure, which would indicate that we can get a firm grip on the game and play it on our terms against the best of them. On the other hand Leeds have done it consistently all season under Bielsa.

Might leave it there.

Edited by A'Villan

22 hours ago, hooter said:

This is the most fascinating thing about this match. Bielsa is freakish in his addiction. When Radz rang him to approach him, there was no answer, so he left an answer phone message.

Bielsa rang back the next day, and mentioned he'd just watched seven of our games from last season. Radz flew to Argentina, when he got there, Bielsa had watched every one of our games, plus "selected others from the best teams"

His attention to detail is, it is said, immense, tiny things in training, and in analysis of opponents (rather like a previous manager of ours, many moons ago 😉 )

So far he has had a couple of key rules, if the opponent has 2 strikers, he plays 3 CBs, and asks the full backs to exploit the extra space.

He nearly always aims to press and keep a large proportion of possession. I wonder whether that might change, and he'll invite you on a bit, looking to exploit your weaknesses on the counter.

One thing @Rugeley Villa said which is true, he is a supremely decent and humble bloke. If you are interested I'll try and link to his PC Friday. He'll be unstintingly generous in his praise of everything about Villa, he reprimanded his translator when he suggested our winner at SUFC was the goalie's "fault", which it clearly was, and every problem we've had has been apparently his error, he is fiercely supportive of his players. It is interesting for us to hear how he sees the game, because it happens as he suggests more times than not, frankly after rocket polishers like Evans etc, it is a treat to have a manager that one can listen to, be interested in, and feel proud of. After that scum cnut Bruce you probably understand that sentiment.

Looking forward to it, meeting my old mate "Bob the post" for a pint beforehand, any day I catch up with him is a good day, regardless. 👋

Refreshing to read.

Bielsa has been my favourite coach in the world for years, for his character and conduct as well as his football.

Got slated by many for holding Bielsa in such high esteem but I called it as I saw it and predicted promotion for you lot this season and so it's no surprise to see you guys on your way to promotion.

Might get slated for this too but I think Pablo is up there with Grealish for best player in the division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Refreshing to read.

Bielsa has been my favourite coach in the world for years, for his character and conduct as well as his football.

Got slated by many for holding Bielsa in such high esteem but I called it as I saw it and predicted promotion for you lot this season and so it's no surprise to see you guys on your way to promotion.

Might get slated for this too but I think Pablo is up there with Grealish for best player in the division.

Pablo has been superb for 2 years now, hope he has another couple in him, because IF we go up he's one player I'm certain will relish the step up again.

If you are a Bielsa fan you might enjoy this article from today.   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6513567/The-secrets-Marcelo-Bielsas-Leeds-revolution-sleeping-training-picking-litter.html

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hooter said:

Pablo has been superb for 2 years now, hope he has another couple in him, because IF we go up he's one player I'm certain will relish the step up again.

If you are a Bielsa fan you might enjoy this article from today.   

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6513567/The-secrets-Marcelo-Bielsas-Leeds-revolution-sleeping-training-picking-litter.html

Big fan of Bielsa. What I like about him is that he is hard working, analytical, driven and yet he also is very down to earth by the reports that I have read. El Loco is an overhyped nickname because of his attention to detail. Being catchy and due to his leaving two clubs after short stays people now think he is actually deranged.

The president of Inter Milan confirmed that Bielsa turned down the offer for him to be their manager, just after they had won the Champions League. Who knows why but it goes to show that he is not going to take a job purely for the glory or coin.

Yet he will take on the Leeds job. I'm guessing with the clubs history and the size of the city, there is a fair bit of potential for Leeds to find their feet in the Premier League once more.

I certainly think Bielsa will take you there. Whether your club and him work well together for an extended period of time is yet to be seen.

As for Pablo he was a regular at Valencia for 3-4 years and was a pivotal part of the Swansea side who finished top half in just their 2nd season ever in the Premier League.

I've seen footage of him playing for Leeds and he looks very sharp and as long as he stays fit and healthy I can see him having an impact in the Premier League once more.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a measure of how crazy this division is that we could be 14th at kick off.

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Nothing like optimism. 

I certainly didn't interpret that as pessimistic. Just acknowledging the scope for other results to have us significantly further down the table. Also recognition of how contested it is.

We shouldn't need blinkers to hide the potential for us to slide down the table as a consequence of results going a certain way.

Should be motivation and reminder of the equanimity that will need to be a characteristic for large periods if we are to close the deficit and gain promotion.

46 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I certainly didn't interpret that as pessimistic. Just acknowledging the scope for other results to have us significantly further down the table. Also recognition of how contested it is.

We shouldn't need blinkers to hide the potential for us to slide down the table as a consequence of results going a certain way.

Should be motivation and reminder of the equanimity that will need to be a characteristic for large periods if we are to close the deficit and gain promotion.

I'm reminded of that song, " you've got to eliminate the negative, and accentuate the positive " , that's it, click your fingers, there you go. How hard was that ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm reminded of that song, " you've got to eliminate the negative, and accentuate the positive " , that's it, click your fingers, there you go. How hard was that ?

I don't get it. But I like it. I like it a lot.

Seriously though I don't see why taking note of a potential league standing is a negative. It's not like we are anticipating that happening or making it a goal.

We could end up in the top six after the final whistle is blown (might need to check that one). That is the goal for Villa.

Doesn't change anything by being aware of the possible outcomes.

If we were to say, "Right, we could be 14th before KO and therefore we should give up hope of winning this game and our ambitions for the season."

Then that would be negative.

I fear if we play like we did v Stoke we'll lose comfortably. I'm even more pessimistic now that Jack is out, we are noticeably less creative and enterprising without him in the team. Super John McGinn needs to have the game of his life and Hourihane needs to have one of his worldie games.

Edited by wedge

Bielsa asked about Villa.

"It’s the last rival we haven’t played against. It’s a team with a very significant offensive strength. They are good in the collective play and they are good with their individual players. They also have many good players. If we take into account these aspects, they have very similar aspects to West Bromwich".

Are Villa a serious promotion rival?

"The important thing for this competition is who is getting promoted and who is struggling to get promoted. As it is a long competition, and as you have many possibilities because you have six teams able to go up, any conclusion will be a premature one.

I see every time I’m asked the same question in a different way, but unfortunately I can’t give you a different answer. Imagine if I had to give you an answer with a level of certainty in the answer. For any lucid observer it would be an act of irresponsibility. We only played half of the games. If you ask me if Villa has players to get promoted, my answer is yes. Do they have the structure to go up? Yes. Do they have a brilliant head coach? Of course. You have more than six teams with good players, good head coach and good structure.

We are sure among all these teams with the capacity for promotion, they won’t give the answer observers expect. We can’t draw conclusions now, we have to wait until the end. That’s why it’s very difficult to give a serious answer".

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Cjay said:

Bielsa asked about Villa.

"It’s the last rival we haven’t played against. It’s a team with a very significant offensive strength. They are good in the collective play and they are good with their individual players. They also have many good players. If we take into account these aspects, they have very similar aspects to West Bromwich".

Are Villa a serious promotion rival?

"The important thing for this competition is who is getting promoted and who is struggling to get promoted. As it is a long competition, and as you have many possibilities because you have six teams able to go up, any conclusion will be a premature one.

I see every time I’m asked the same question in a different way, but unfortunately I can’t give you a different answer. Imagine if I had to give you an answer with a level of certainty in the answer. For any lucid observer it would be an act of irresponsibility. We only played half of the games. If you ask me if Villa has players to get promoted, my answer is yes. Do they have the structure to go up? Yes. Do they have a brilliant head coach? Of course. You have more than six teams with good players, good head coach and good structure.

We are sure among all these teams with the capacity for promotion, they won’t give the answer observers expect. We can’t draw conclusions now, we have to wait until the end. That’s why it’s very difficult to give a serious answer".

Class manager Bielsa. 

This is going to be a great game. Strangely for one that matters a lot I am just looking forward to it. I think its going to be a feast of excellent football and intelligent tactics. How long is it since we could say that about a Villa/Leeds game? 

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

No Lansbury available (DS press conference). Wouldn't mind O'Hare in there but I think Whelan will get it. 

Id like to see thor given a run out at some point too. Wouldn't be fit enough to start granted. Think it will be Whelan too.

• Like 1