Pre match thread

roonst83

Potentially our toughest test at home this season. Leeds will absolutely come to win this. I am hugely worried, after watching us yesterday, with how we can cope without Grealish’s creativity and inventiveness. Although the conditions were atrocious against Stoke, we still seemed to lack any cohesion going forwards. Jack picking the ball up and driving forwards whilst gliding past players was hugely missed so it’ll be a huge test against Leeds without him. 

There’s goals in this villa team so we have to try fashion plenty of chances for Tammy. Smith said the conditions weren’t ideal for El Ghazi so I expect him to be given the go ahead over Kodjia, which Jimmy D can feel hard done by as he was great for us yesterday. 

Need the whole crowd behind the team with a near full house expected. Massive test but at least with Smith we know we’ll go for the win. 

Be a few Leeds in home areas I’d imagine. I’m surprised they put this on general sale if I’m being honest. They have good away support when they are shit. When they are doing as well as they are, away tickets are like gold dust. I’ve seen a few of them on twitter saying they are in home end. They have fans all over, not just with Yorkshire postcode, so it would be hard for our ticket office to identify  if they Villa or Leeds. Desperate for Grealish back, although I do believe we are much more capable without him than we were on Saturday. I do fancy us tbf. They have won the last 5 I believe. Big game with two very big clubs. It’s certainly got a big game feel to it. 

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Be a few Leeds in home areas I’d imagine. I’m surprised they put this on general sale if I’m being honest. They have good away support when they are shit. When they are doing as well as they are, away tickets are like gold dust. I’ve seen a few of them on twitter saying they are in home end. They have fans all over, not just with Yorkshire postcode, so it would be hard for our ticket office to identify  if they Villa or Leeds. Desperate for Grealish back, although I do believe we are much more capable without him than we were on Saturday. I do fancy us tbf. They have won the last 5 I believe. Big game with two very big clubs. It’s certainly got a big game feel to it. 

True but no different to when we go away to Leeds (I've been in the home end at Leeds for the last 3 matches against them there as can't get tickets in the Villa end!)

Edited by Brumstopdogs

9 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

True but no different to when we go away to Leeds (I've been in the home end at Leeds for the last 3 matches against them there as can't get tickets in the Villa end!)

Same here, I’ve been in their end twice. We have them as our last away day, so might be worth fans registering up with them for the home end, as our end will sell out quick being last away day. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

I'll be honest, I've never really liked Leeds as a football club.

In the 91/92 season, I was bullied by a Leeds fan at school. He was a proper word removed. And I haven't forgiven Leeds for giving us a smack 4-1 live on ITV that season either. So 1995/96 League Cup Final was a grand day out for me. As perfect a Wembley performance as I could imagine. Sadly, I was living in Luton at the time (Uni) and as I was coming back from the final, I had to use St Pancras station. I got on board one train that stopped at Luton and despite minding my own business (never been a trouble maker and I don't do football smugness at other supporters - ever), I got spat on by Leeds supporters.

The city of Leeds seems okay. But I can't stand the football club and 'some' of the supporters. Those that poke their noses in on VillaTalk seem okay, so no axe to grind there. Just my personal experiences have clouded my judgement.

Hoping for a Villa win obviously... but would probably take a point right now if offered. A defeat would be like getting spat on. And I can't have that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we want any chance at automatic promotion this season, this is a must win game imo. I live in Leeds, so there's a lot at stake for me (Father-In-Law is a massive Leeds man, work colleagues (just glad it's over the festive period so won't see them until a few days later).

There will be goals, I just hope we score more than them.

Edited by Hitzlsperger_12
  • Like 2

We have no divine right to beat anyone, the way some people are talking in this thread is embarrassing. Leeds United is still a massive club, one of the biggest in the country in my opinion. They haven’t been run well for a number of years, although they seem to be doing well this season, Bielsa seems to be an excellent manager in my opinion. There is no shortage of talent in their squad, I’ve always rated Bamford and Hernandez for example, Jansson is also an excellent centre back at this level. It will be a tough game, no doubt about it

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We have no divine right to beat anyone, the way some people are talking in this thread is embarrassing. Leeds United is still a massive club, one of the biggest in the country in my opinion. They haven’t been run well for a number of years, although they seem to be doing well this season, Bielsa seems to be an excellent manager in my opinion. There is no shortage of talent in their squad, I’ve always rated Bamford and Hernandez for example, Jansson is also an excellent centre back at this level. It will be a tough game, no doubt about it

Not sure where you've seen this, but I can't see anything of the sort, just that there is an element of our fan base that dislike Leeds, which you can include me to.

Onto the game, which should be a cracker;

I think if Grealish plays we win and if he is still injured like reports suggest then I would take a draw right now if offered - Such is the importance I feel he has on our play.

If Grealish is out, I would play O'Hare, as this will be a footballing game unlike the Stoke match and he would be better suited to this,  I also think Kodjia deserves a starting place after Saturday's cameo performance.

Bamford regaining fitness is an ominous sign and if I was a betting man (which I am) I would say he is nailed on to grab a goal against us (substitute or not) and both teams to score is pretty much a given at the moment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Embarrassing ? Just people being confident, and why not? Leeds are a good team, but we’ve been playing Class lately under Smith. We are at home too. We are also a massive club,  and one of the biggest in England IMO. Talk us up, not that classless lot . FFS, I really don’t see the problem with any posts on here. Come on man. 

We have been playing well since Smith came in but that’s only a few games, we’ve done nothing, we have to SUSTAIN it

Never really liked Leeds and that was cemented when we beat Leeds at Villa Park 3-2 in the FA Cup and some Leeds fans after the game started attacking families coming out of the North Stand.

On to this game I think it will be a tough game and we'll have to be at our best to win.

Would be happy to see Thor and Kod starting this one.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

17 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Never really liked Leeds and that was cemented when we beat Leeds at Villa Park 3-2 in the FA Cup and some Leeds fans after the game started attacking families coming out of the North Stand.

On to this game I think it will be a tough game and we'll have to be at our best to win.

Would be happy to see Thor and Kod starting this one.

Remember this. I think the same group got a good hiding by a few villa. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Frampton to beat the snot out of Warrington and us to do likewise to them. Think we are better prepared for a game of this magnitude to be honest. Taking absolutely nothing away from the run they've being on. Very impressive, but they've had a few soft touches like Bolton and Reading.  We've played the best teams in the league the last month, have they ?