Investing - the stock market and more

KenjiOgiwara

I like gold mines and mining stock. Got in very low on some stock called NQ minerals at 2.25p a couple of years ago, currently kicking at 7p so already done very well but they have just applied to get a main listing on the LSE upgrading from the Acquis exchange and if this comes off estimates are in the 15 to 21p range at launch. Put one of my smaller pensions into a SIPP to do this and banged the lot on. Set for a few exciting months I would hope

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I'm guessing GME is just one of many that will be/are being targeted.

Its the main one because hedge funds shorted it by 130% of all the stock in existence.   

Which means they are screwed and are taking a hit.   Somewhere between $2 Billion (if they succeed in fixing the market) and $23 Billion (at the share price earlier today).

Just now, Genie said:

Who are the holders selling to?

Wall Street can buy and sell to each other. They've just restricted the public from buying by putting pressure on the trading platform to block trades.

Whoever wants to sell can easily sell, as the hedge funds are desperately buying it to cover their shorted position.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Wall Street can buy and sell to each other. They've just restricted the public from buying by putting pressure on the trading platform to block trades.

Whoever wants to sell can easily sell, as the hedge funds are desperately buying it to cover their shorted position.

If this is legal, it shouldn't be.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I got really lucky gambling on weed stocks a couple of years ago and it paid for my car. No more of that though, all of my investing money goes in to a Vanguard index tracker. If that price collapses in the long term, I'll have bigger things to worry about, like the complete collapse of western capitalism :P 

I can choose what my pension is invested in at work (a DCS pension for a Bank). It defaults to a fairly passive global equities but its performed really well over the last 12 months. Took a tonking in March but now much higher than it was and the pot is nearly double what it was 10 months back.

Are you in the Life Strategy funds? What risk? 80? 60? I need to sort my investing out... too much in cash and one particular equity at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are you in the Life Strategy funds? What risk? 80? 60? I need to sort my investing out... too much in cash and one particular equity at the moment. 

I used to use Life Strategy 100; mine is in there for a long time, so I see no need at all to hold bonds. I recently changed to their Global All Cap index.  The Lifestrategy funds have a UK bias that I wasn't comfortable with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I used to use Life Strategy 100; mine is in there for a long time, so I see no need at all to hold bonds. I recently changed to their Global All Cap index.  The Lifestrategy funds have a UK bias that I wasn't comfortable with.

That sounds sensible. HSBC Global Strategy is similar in that is has a smaller bias to UK equities. 

It's remarkable that the invisible hand of the market is king, until it isn't.

There needs to be severe work done on the stock market. Killing the ability of retail investors to buy a share because it wasn't going how you'd like it to go is surely illegal, or needs to be made so. 

All of the measures done today have been in aid of manipulating the market to ensure those whose face fits are not allowed to be hurt by those that don't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

It's remarkable that the invisible hand of the market is king, until it isn't.

There needs to be severe work done on the stock market. Killing the ability of retail investors to buy a share because it wasn't going how you'd like it to go is surely illegal, or needs to be made so. 

All of the measures done today have been in aid of manipulating the market to ensure those whose face fits are not allowed to be hurt by those that don't.

Same as it ever was. Its the new banking bail out.

People simultaneously claiming the market is a bubble while also claiming shorting it is immoral.

Okay, fella.

(I’ve sympathy for Robinhood, too. They refused the business of anyone trying to buy a particular stock. That’s allowed, especially if you suspect there is something fishy about the trade.)

• Like 1

Â