Investing - the stock market and more

KenjiOgiwara

20 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Simply not true. Gold you bought in the later half of 2011 is still worth less that you bought it for.

gold_10_year_o_usd_x.png

amateur!

444957328_ScreenShot2020-04-27at08_48_24.thumb.jpg.51583131e1d0daa0dc3e1f9a4059726f.jpg

Edited by villakram
from www.xe.com/currencycharts/

On 25/04/2020 at 10:30, imavillan said:

@Spoony Thanks for this. It had been that long i'd forgotten i posted it !!!!

Up to now i had not done anything about it, so i have avoided the recent falls in value.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and appreciate sharing your experience and yes, there is risk associated but there are also opportunities.

I Have signed up with iWeb as its cheap to trade. £25 to join the £5 per trade.

I have opened up a S&S ISA so i have taken the plunge. I will also be investing in Low Cost Index Funds. My intention is to build a smallish portfolio with established companies taking advantage of the fall in share prices. History tells us that the footsie will recover and prices will go higher again once this madness is over.

I see this as a 5 year plan to get a better return from my money than it sitting in a bank.

I use Degiro. 

Cheap as chips, fees are ridiculously low. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

So not a direct investment question, but just about to remortgage, views on 2 or 5 year fixed, difference between them is 0.23%.  Currently on a tracker so interest rate will be lower in both cases and happy to continue paying our current monthly payment which means we will be overpaying by 5% every year.

So financial wizards which would you recommend?

19 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

So not a direct investment question, but just about to remortgage, views on 2 or 5 year fixed, difference between them is 0.23%.  Currently on a tracker so interest rate will be lower in both cases and happy to continue paying our current monthly payment which means we will be overpaying by 5% every year.

I'm no wizard but if i wasn't planning on moving anytime soon i'd look at a 5 year fixed. Rates are low so take advantage. I'd be surprised if they went much lower than what they are now?

Im due to remortgage in August, but as I want to move I may just move onto a tracker in the short term

Out of interest, I just logged on to look at my mortgage (Nationwide). Currently 2.64% fixed (coming to end of 5 years). 

Can get 2 year fixed at 1.19% (with a big fee). 10 year fixed is only 2.44%!

Tracker for me (2 years) is 1.59% over base. 

I'm 50% LTV

Edited by Xela

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm no wizard but if i wasn't planning on moving anytime soon i'd look at a 5 year fixed. Rates are low so take advantage. I'd be surprised if they went much lower than what they are now?

Im due to remortgage in August, but as I want to move I may just move onto a tracker in the short term

Why not 10 year? I'm contemplating a 20 year fixed rate personally (on half my loan). 

3-5 year fixed rates are pretty pointless IMO. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why not 10 year? I'm contemplating a 20 year fixed rate personally (on half my loan). 

3-5 year fixed rates are pretty pointless IMO. 

You could do a 10 year but not all UK banks offer them. Depends on how long you want to commit to the property you are in. There are quite hefty break charges if you move within the fixed period, although some mortgages can be ported. 

But yeah, if you have no plan to move then 10 years would be fine. 

22 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Just fixed mine for 5 years. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

You could do a 10 year but not all UK banks offer them. Depends on how long you want to commit to the property you are in. There are quite hefty break charges if you move within the fixed period, although some mortgages can be ported. 

But yeah, if you have no plan to move then 10 years would be fine. 

Why can't you move? 

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why can't you move? 

The mortgages will have penalties for settling early. So if you move house, or move your mortgage to another lender within the 10 year period they will hit you with a penalty.

My current 3 year deal says if I move/settle within the first year the penalty is 3% of the balance, in year 2 its 2% and in the final year its 1%.

Edit: I should add, sometimes the lender will waiver the fee if when you move you transfer the mortgage, or borrow more from them.

Edited by Genie

• 3 months later...
On 26/04/2020 at 18:18, TheAuthority said:

Simply not true. Gold you bought in the later half of 2011 is still worth less that you bought it for.

gold_10_year_o_usd_x.png

Agreed, a rule of thumb is that investing in commodities is never a good idea. Generally people do it because they feel a connection with something tangible with i.e. gold or oil, but over a 5 year period any global index fund will absolutely smash all the commodities on the market. Right now is a great time to invest in index funds as they are reasonably low due to Covid, but I expect that these will increase rapidly once the vaccines start coming into the market.

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

Right now is a great time to invest in index funds as they are reasonably low due to Covid, but I expect that these will increase rapidly once the vaccines start coming into the market.

I'm not sure this is true. The 100% global equity funds I'm invested in are priced where they were towards the end of January. they plummeted around 30% over Feb-March but slowly recovered, in my view, without justification considering how much of the global economy is still severely impacted by this. Estimates of a vaccine potentially being with us by as early as next year are priced in. It'll take unexpectedly good news to see it rise, or unexpected delays to have a big impact on it falling.

I'd certainly agree with you that if you're investing for 5+ years, equity is the way to go over commodities. I'd just advise caution over jumping in now expecting significant short-term profit. Unless you're insider trading, you never know more than the market.

Edited by Davkaus

Â