Racism in Football

Zatman

Is it any shock that the country of origin of most of the abuse came from the country of the losing team? It's depressing, but surely not a surprise.

In fact, I'm surprised it wasn't worse. The UK Football Policing Unit has said around 27% of the messages deemed to be criminal were sent from the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do football fans boo the knee? Because - since the 1970s at any rate - there is a significant minority who just like to be contrary, or 'edgy'. The sociologists would probably call it transgressive behaviour. So if something is deemed offensive, they'll do it. It's utterly childish, but it's endemic. "Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers", Victoria Beckham's sexual preferences, etc. Racist chants and banana throwing don't mean that every single youth taking part is a racist (although a number of them undoubtedly are) - they're doing it to shock. It's like the old Flanders and Swann song "Ma's out, Pa's out, let's talk rude", it's a place you can get away with being naughty. Asking a (probably drunk/stoned) mass of adolescent boys in a football ground to be respectful and mature is a losing battle. They don't go there to be respectful and mature - quite the opposite. The fact that it spoils it for everyone else, and gives football fans a bad name bothers them not one jot - quite the reverse in fact, they revel in the public's disgust and media disapprobation - "No-one likes us, and we don't care". I don't know what the solution is, but appeals to their better nature isn't it.
(I should of course add that many of the perpetrators are not 'youths' but grown men who really should know better. But the principle remains). 

• Like 2

They say they are booing as a protest against Marxism. They tell me time and time again that's why but I know different. They are booing to indicate that they are proud of their micro penises. Yeah I know they tell me different but no. I know why they do it really. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Why do football fans boo the knee? Because - since the 1970s at any rate - there is a significant minority who just like to be contrary, or 'edgy'. The sociologists would probably call it transgressive behaviour. So if something is deemed offensive, they'll do it. It's utterly childish, but it's endemic. "Harry Roberts is our friend, he kills coppers", Victoria Beckham's sexual preferences, etc. Racist chants and banana throwing don't mean that every single youth taking part is a racist (although a number of them undoubtedly are) - they're doing it to shock. It's like the old Flanders and Swann song "Ma's out, Pa's out, let's talk rude", it's a place you can get away with being naughty. Asking a (probably drunk/stoned) mass of adolescent boys in a football ground to be respectful and mature is a losing battle. They don't go there to be respectful and mature - quite the opposite. The fact that it spoils it for everyone else, and gives football fans a bad name bothers them not one jot - quite the reverse in fact, they revel in the public's disgust and media disapprobation - "No-one likes us, and we don't care". I don't know what the solution is, but appeals to their better nature isn't it.
(I should of course add that many of the perpetrators are not 'youths' but grown men who really should know better. But the principle remains). 

I think a lot of that's true.  Taking the knee is like red rag to a bull to these people, they're either complete words removed in general or are kids with personality disorders stuck in their bedroom and wanting to take their fury out on others.  I swear there was much less racism when they were doing the Kick It Out programme which focused on football alone.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Any New Zealanders that can way in on the issue, is it a thing that people care about or find racist? 

No more All Whites? NZ Football consider dropping national team's nickname

New Zealand Football (NZF) is contemplating dropping the All Whites moniker for the men's national team.

The potential change is part of a wider process NZF is going through to ensure they are up to the mark when it comes to cultural inclusivity.

It comes on the back of the heightened worldwide awareness around racism and racial inequality, and the name's potentially racist connotations, and RNZ understands the national body began gauging feedback on the potential change more than six months ago. 

The All Whites name came about during the team's qualifying run ahead of the 1982 World Cup in Spain.

The team had predominantly worn white shirts and socks with black shorts but after coming onto the pitch or their third qualifying match away to Taiwan in a full white playing kit, the moniker was coined and swiftly adopted.

That 1982 team, of course, famously went on to earn New Zealand a place at the football World Cup for the first time.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/nz-teams/300388904/no-more-all-whites-nz-football-consider-dropping-national-teams-nickname

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Any New Zealanders that can way in on the issue, is it a thing that people care about or find racist? 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/nz-teams/300388904/no-more-all-whites-nz-football-consider-dropping-national-teams-nickname

Arent they All Whites because of the jersey colour, it was sort of a joke against the All Blacks who are a lot more famous

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Arent they All Whites because of the jersey colour, it was sort of a joke against the All Blacks who are a lot more famous

Yup, that's what I read anyway.

It's not something that I even considered to be racist, but it seems some people have that leap. Does this mean that the Rugby team will no longer be called The All Blacks and the cricket team will no longer be The Black Caps?

42 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

It's not something that I even considered to be racist, but it seems some people have that leap. Does this mean that the Rugby team will no longer be called The All Blacks and the cricket team will no longer be The Black Caps?

The badminton team are or were called the black c**ks😂😂

• Haha 1

those that oppose the taking of the knee, and there have been one or 2 on here, this is the company you keep. this is why people KNOW it's nothing to do with marxism or any of the other lame excuses given.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

those that oppose the taking of the knee, and there have been one or 2 on here, this is the company you keep. this is why people KNOW it's nothing to do with marxism or any of the other lame excuses given.

Laurence Fox is actually making the same point as you, but in inverse. He's saying people who support taking the knee are keeping company with a literal rapist, and trying to tarnish the anti-racism movement by association - i.e. "who are you to moralise at me when you've got rapists in your ranks?"

It's a stupid argument, of course. But it's equally stupid in reverse. The existence of Laurence Fox doesn't invalidate the opinions of anyone disagreeing with taking the knee any more than the existence of Benjamin Mendy invalidates the views of anyone who agrees with it.

Edited by Panto_Villan

16 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Laurence Fox is actually making the same point as you, but in inverse. He's saying people who support taking the knee are keeping company with a literal rapist, and trying to tarnish the anti-racism movement by association - i.e. "who are you to moralise at me when you've got rapists in your ranks?"

It's a stupid argument, of course. But it's equally stupid in reverse. The existence of Laurence Fox doesn't invalidate the opinions of anyone disagreeing with taking the knee any more than the existence of Benjamin Mendy invalidates the views of anyone who agrees with it.

it proves the reasons people disagree with taking the knee. he's at least got the bottle to be open about it rather than hiding behind excuses such as anti-marxism

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it proves the reasons people disagree with taking the knee. he's at least got the bottle to be open about it rather than hiding behind excuses such as anti-marxism

No, it proves the reasons why Laurence Fox disagrees with taking the knee. It has literally nothing to do with my reasons for disliking taking the knee, and I suspect many other people could say the same.

If your point is "racists exist and dislike taking the knee" then you're just attacking a straw man. I don't think anyone on this forum has ever claimed that there aren't racists who dislike taking the knee for obvious reasons. The scope of the debate on here has always been whether everyone who disagrees with taking the knee is a racist or not.

Anyway, no sense rehashing arguments we've already had. I've explained my point and I'll leave it there.

Â