Racism in Football

Zatman

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

He would I fear. There are sadly racists amongst us and it’s getting worse

How On earth do they reconcile that, perhaps we are in to education levels now?

I have always felt, rightly or wrongly, rascists are not the full shilling, in terms of intelligence.....to discriminate against a person, due to race or colour is not very bright, is it?

I have to say Pete, in my experience, in the stadium, i am not aware of hearing any racist overtones....thankfully.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

The answer is ignorent people and you cant fix that.For example If a player is bad then it dosent matter what colour he is,hes bad.If a player is good,again it dosent matter what colour he is,hes good and if a player plays for the team that you support then he should be untouchable.

So,as I said,its driven by ignorance. 

But another by product of that is booing a player for poor performance....they do try their best, but they are human and lose form or have off days.

now we are in to tolerance as a crowd.....they want lifting, not condemning.

some of us just jump to the conclusion, they are not trying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

How On earth do they reconcile that, perhaps we are in to education levels now?

I have always felt, rightly or wrongly, rascists are not the full shilling, in terms of intelligence.....to discriminate against a person, due to race or colour is not very bright, is it?

I have to say Pete, in my experience, in the stadium, i am not aware of hearing any racist overtones....thankfully.

I agree Paul. Statistics show some correlation between low intelligence and likelihood of having racist views.

My experience of hearing racism in the ground is it’s extremely rare. Outside, before or after games it’s more of a noticeable thing. Still very much a minority, but it’s there

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I agree Paul. Statistics show some correlation between low intelligence and likelihood of having racist views.

My experience of hearing racism in the ground is it’s extremely rare. Outside, before or after games it’s more of a noticeable thing. Still very much a minority, but it’s there

I would like to think our club would treat it with zero tolerance.

we have 13,000 on a waiting list, our owners would not countenance rascism anywhere near our club.....they would just root them out....i am sure.

57 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's definitely there alright whether it is inside or outside the ground. There was this report from the 2019-20 season. It is not solely based on race, also sexual orientation and religion. However, it is still not a great list to be top of. I remember reading something similar I think around 2014 as well that Villa fans were among the worst when it came to arrests for such behaviour.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55038972

Aston Villa fans were reported for more alleged hate crimes than any team last season, according to Home Office data.

Results seen by the Press Association under a Freedom of Information request showed Villa fans reported 13 times.

Wolves, Leeds and Tottenham fans were the subject of 10 reports each, while Chelsea fans were reported nine times.

The reports came to the UK Football Policing Unit from either the Football Association or anti-discrimination body Kick It Out.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah. I tend to agree that the solution to discrimination against individuals based on their colour, isn’t more discrimination against individuals based on their colour. I’m not wholly against it in every circumstance, but it needs to be used very carefully. 
we need a new secretary and she must be black” is wrong, but “we need 100 new secretaries and we should try to get around 8 or so of them from a black background” is probably a good idea

You know the ones with the biggest tits always gets the job regardless of race 😉 Mine always did

Edited by Follyfoot

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You know the ones with the biggest tits always gets the job regardless of race 😉

That policy has it’s knockers, but at least they are up front about it. #notosexismatpenisland

pen island, you filth monger

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You know the ones with the biggest tits always gets the job regardless of race 😉 Mine always did

Yeah until they affected the efficiency of the lads. Now I just employ the uglies, even my admin girl is married to a special forces soldier, as to not tempt myself😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

How about this?

Everyone booing the knee is doing something racist even if they’re too stupid to realise it. 

How about this?

Everyone refusing stop and search tactics is because they are carrying silverware.

• Confused 4

Meanwhile...

Germany cuts short Olympic warmup with allegations of racism

WAKAYAMA, Japan (AP) — Germany’s Olympic soccer team walked off the field during a preparation match for the Tokyo Games on Saturday in response to alleged racist abuse from an opposing Honduras player toward German defender Jordan Torunarigha.

The players left the field together with five minutes remaining in the game after Torunarigha was “racially insulted,” the German soccer federation said on Twitter.

“If one of our players is racially abused, it’s not an option for us to keep playing,” Germany coach Stefan Kuntz said.

“It was hard to get him in, he was terribly upset because he said he was repeatedly racially abused,” Kuntz continued. “For us it’s clear, this violates our values, we cannot tolerate it. We’ll take our player completely under our protection.”

Torunarigha’s club, Hertha Berlin, responded by saying “ that’s the only correct decision! 

The score was 1-1 when the German players walked off.

“After the situation calmed down a bit, the whole Honduras team came over to us on the bench and apologized,” Kuntz said. “That was the end of the matter for us.”

https://apnews.com/article/sports-2020-tokyo-olympics-africa-germany-middle-east-03672d7998b1c1772968b8aa33e80fc0?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not excusing racists, cause we don't know they are racists. If you keep assuming everything without facts it's no wonder people think England is systematically racist.

I'm not saying there are none in the crowd, but everyone who boos are not racist for sure.

Undercover job hunters reveal huge race bias in Britain's workplaces

A government sting operation targeting hundreds of employers across Britain has uncovered widespread racial discrimination against workers with African and Asian names.

Researchers sent nearly 3,000 job applications under false identities in an attempt to discover if employers were discriminating against jobseekers with foreign names. Using names recognisably from three different communities – Nazia Mahmood, Mariam Namagembe and Alison Taylor – false identities were created with similar experience and qualifications. Every false applicant had British education and work histories.

They found that an applicant who appeared to be white would send nine applications before receiving a positive response of either an invitation to an interview or an encouraging telephone call. Minority candidates with the same qualifications and experience had to send 16 applications before receiving a similar response.

A test for racial discrimination in recruitment practice in British cities:

Aim

We tested for racial discrimination in recruitment practices and found that people from ethnic minorities were less likely to be successful with their applications, even discounting differences such as age and education.

Findings

The level of name-based racial discrimination was found to be high across all ethnic groups. This is consistent with the high levels of discrimination found in studies in other countries in recent years.

• To secure a job interview, we had to send out 74% more applications for ethnic minority candidates compared to white candidates.
  • Discrimination affected all minority ethnic groups. Differences between the minority ethnic groups included in the study (black African, black Caribbean, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani/Bangladeshi) were not significant.
  • Discrimination was not limited to particular regions or occupations.  Although the numbers in our sample were small, there was evidence of similar levels of discrimination in all the cities and it was present across all the occupations included in our study.
  • There was essentially no net discrimination where the process of applying for the job required the use of the employer's own form; there was more discrimination where application was via a CV.  Employer forms are often designed so that the section containing personal details (including name) can be detached before the sifting process.

Does it get any more systemic than this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

English is an ethnic group so you are born into it. Anyone can become British.

So someone today with a Spanish surname, whose ancestors can be traced back to a shipwreck during the Armada in Cornwall is .... ? How many centuries before someone with the surname Patel becomes English? The concept of being English is not some unchanging monolith. 

As much as I want to support your argument, but ethnicity is some arbitrary, or at best convenient, delineation in our DNA. 

This is my inner fish speaking. No Rashica puns please.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

So someone today with a Spanish surname, whose ancestors can be traced back to a shipwreck during the Armada in Cornwall is .... ? How many centuries before someone with the surname Patel becomes English? The concept of being English is not some unchanging monolith. 

As much as I want to support your argument, but ethnicity is some arbitrary, or at best convenient, delineation in our DNA. 

This is my inner fish speaking. No Rashica puns please.

All the Spaniard would have to do would be to change their surname and everybody would be none the wiser. Unless we start administering DNA tests to determine Englishness, which would be lurching us headfirst into fascist territory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Aston Villa fans were reported for more alleged hate crimes than any team last season, according to Home Office data.

While an interesting statistic, this should be prorated against the size of the fan base. 

1 minute ago, fruitvilla said:

While an interesting statistic, this should be prorated against the size of the fan base. 

Well we aren't in the top 5 in the country so at the very least we're definitely over-performing as it were.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

All the Spaniard would have to do would be to change their surname and everybody would be none the wiser. Unless we start administering DNA tests to determine Englishness, which would be lurching us headfirst into fascist territory.

Hey ... I have zero "English" blood but I could pass as English. 

But I was going to say this is a bit over the top. But I gather in the States that some tribes, require a certain quantum of native Indian blood before you get the benefits of being native.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well we aren't in the top 5 in the country so at the very least we're definitely over-performing as it were.

Barnsley?

Edited by fruitvilla

Â