Racism in Football

Zatman

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:06, turnbull said:

It's a good job we never had social media in the late 70s.

Fans would have certainly known the best place to buy bananas on the way to the Hawthorns in 78.

Hugh Johns commenting that fans were throwing "missiles" onto the pitch, would have been giffed and shared to death.

The best thing to do with a "Baggies Against Racism" leaflet would have been a Twitter debate too, no doubt.

Yes it was that bad. anyone there would confirm that. What Big Cyrille et al went through was horrific.

It's a shame we're still having the discussion TBH. 

"

Ivor Linton got his fair share of abuse at Villa 

On 07/04/2019 at 21:07, PaulC said:

Ivor Linton got his fair share of abuse at Villa 

He did yes. as did Mark Walters, not so much from home fans though. I go back as far as Freddy Mwila and Emment Kepengwe in the early 70s. I used to go with my Dad to the reserve games back then when both of them were playing and I don't recall anything happening , that doesn't mean it didn't of course.

They were tough times for Black players. 

1 minute ago, turnbull said:

He did yes. as did Mark Walters, not so much from home fans though. I go back as far as Freddy Mwila and Emment Kepengwe in the early 70s. I used to go with my Dad to the reserve games back then when both of them were playing and I don't recall anything happening , that doesn't mean it didn't of course.

They were tough times for Black players. 

Didn't those two play one game under Docherty in the season we got relegated and we won which was a bit of a surprise. My mate met Ivor Linton many years later at Wolverhampton college and he said he just used to laugh it off

What chance is there of reducing it when this is the kind of shit the FA pull?

They're happy to run a happy-clappy campaign, and 'raise awareness', but not to actually do anything of substance.

When will the bunch of old, out of touch white blokes that run the game stop punishing the victims?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47881830

A football manager has been fined and suspended after taking his players off the pitch in protest at an alleged racist comment from a linesman.

Non-league Wythenshawe Town manager James Kinsey abandoned the game after comments made to a player in January.

The official was also sanctioned after the charge against him was proven, the Manchester FA said.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/11/football-team-fined-walking-off-pitch-9168740/

Football team fined more for protesting racism than club whose fans ‘shouted abuse’

A football team who walked off the pitch in protest at their goalkeeper receiving racist abuse has been fined. Padiham FC were trailing 3-0 at Congleton Town last October when the players took a stand on behalf of their player Tony Aghayere. The incident was referred to Cheshire Police but the league fined Padiham £165 for abandoning the game and Congleton £160 for their fans’ behaviour.

We do need to be careful here though in all honesty, lots of noise at the moment around people walking off the pitch if they're racially abused but the problem with that is (and I'm sorry to be so cynical but it's a cynical world, football in particular) if a team is 4-0 down and having a shocker they could use it as a reason to get the game abandoned.

In a lot of these cases it'll be a he-said / she-said type thing, unless of course there's video/audio proof.

It's a dangerous road to go down I fear.

On 11/04/2019 at 15:46, PaulC said:

Didn't those two play one game under Docherty in the season we got relegated and we won which was a bit of a surprise. My mate met Ivor Linton many years later at Wolverhampton college and he said he just used to laugh it off

He used to turn up at the Drakes Drum in Great Barr most Thursday nights as I recall. V popular with the ladies. 

It appears Wayne Hennessey has been given a slap on the wrist for his Nazi salute because "he didn't know what it was"...

What a load of tosh! I'm not buying it for one minute that a 32 year old male has no concept of a salute made famous by Hitler and the Third Reich...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

It appears Wayne Hennessey has been given a slap on the wrist for his Nazi salute because "he didn't know what it was"...

What a load of tosh! I'm not buying it for one minute that a 32 year old male has no concept of a salute made famous by Hitler and the Third Reich...

This is an FA that havent punished a club for a fan going 30/40 yards onto the pitch and assaulting a player. what did you expect? 

Danny Rose, part of the problem or the solution? 

Being white, and having never really been affected by racism (I think it's important to reference that), I personally find Danny Rose quite a galling individual. 

If you hate football so much, terminate your £100k per week contract and go do something valuable to the community you claim to be so disadvantaged. 

I just watched his interview on sky and when asked of his prospects around going into coaching he effectively said he won't even bother trying because look what's happened to Sol Campbell.

Whilst Sol Campbell is of course black, what gets left out of this conversation is the fact that hes a little bit nuts and a complete and utter Representative for Wellingborough (or at least, seemingly so, I don't know the man personally).

Yes racism exists but hiding away from it achieves nothing, this ongoing campaign to have the social media giants remove any and all racist content is all wrong too in my view.

We should not remove the platforms from which these idiots (racists) expose themselves, I'd rather know that Paul done the road is a raging racist than not, it also makes it easier for authorities to identify them. Take social media away and racism will remain, it will just become less visible but that's not addressing the core issue. 

Danny Rose is so detestable though and its nothing to do with race. He is somebody that has said before that he is underpaid by Spurs plus his on field antics are pathetic.

As for the racism in coaching thats bollocks, these are multi million pound businesses and they dont care what your background is once you are capable. As for Campbell, Yorke and Ryan Giggs are the type of idiots that think they should be handed jobs straight away based on football CV. Look at the 20 teams in the Premier League now and not one has been just handed a job, OK Parker arguably but he is a caretaker manager, the rest have all worked up the league or smaller teams abroad. Same in the Championship with only Lampard at Derby

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Danny Rose is so detestable though and its nothing to do with race. He is somebody that has said before that he is underpaid by Spurs plus his on field antics are pathetic.

As for the racism in coaching thats bollocks, these are multi million pound businesses and they dont care what your background is once you are capable. As for Campbell, Yorke and Ryan Giggs are the type of idiots that think they should be handed jobs straight away based on football CV. Look at the 20 teams in the Premier League now and not one has been just handed a job, OK Parker arguably but he is a caretaker manager, the rest have all worked up the league or smaller teams abroad. Same in the Championship with only Lampard at Derby

I think if you’re seriously denying that there’s any racism in coaching then you’re living under a rock. 

Edited by Stevo985

43 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Danny Rose, part of the problem or the solution? 

Being white, and having never really been affected by racism (I think it's important to reference that), I personally find Danny Rose quite a galling individual. 

If you hate football so much, terminate your £100k per week contract and go do something valuable to the community you claim to be so disadvantaged. 

I just watched his interview on sky and when asked of his prospects around going into coaching he effectively said he won't even bother trying because look what's happened to Sol Campbell.

Whilst Sol Campbell is of course black, what gets left out of this conversation is the fact that hes a little bit nuts and a complete and utter Representative for Wellingborough (or at least, seemingly so, I don't know the man personally).

Yes racism exists but hiding away from it achieves nothing, this ongoing campaign to have the social media giants remove any and all racist content is all wrong too in my view.

We should not remove the platforms from which these idiots (racists) expose themselves, I'd rather know that Paul done the road is a raging racist than not, it also makes it easier for authorities to identify them. Take social media away and racism will remain, it will just become less visible but that's not addressing the core issue. 

Whatever you think of Rose, a black footballer is not “part of the problem” of racism in football. 

Thats actually a mental thing to suggest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think if you’re seriously denying that there’s any racism in coaching then you’re living under a rock. 

Well I dont think there is racism in how managers are appointed. As I said is too much money involved in the game for clubs to ignore the best candidate whether black or white or male or female. 

A black manager is thriving in the Premier League and has beaten 4 of the top 6 this season and has only lost twice, I think if clubs come in for Nuno in the summer nobody would question it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well I dont think there is racism in how managers are appointed. As I said is too much money involved in the game for clubs to ignore the best candidate whether black or white or male or female. 

A black manager is thriving in the Premier League and has beaten 4 of the top 6 this season and has only lost twice, I think if clubs come in for Nuno in the summer nobody would question it. 

One black manager doing well doesn’t mean there’s a problem with the appointment of black managers. 

How many black managers are employed in the entire football league? You could probably count them on one hand. 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

One black manager doing well doesn’t mean there’s a problem with the appointment of black managers. 

How many black managers are employed in the entire football league? You could probably count them on one hand. 

Danny Rose complaint in the interview was that Sol Campbell had to start in League 2 as was no opportunities in Premier League and Championship and other ex-players were just hand big jobs which except Lampard is bullshit

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Danny Rose complaint in the interview was that Sol Campbell had to start in League 2 as was no opportunities in Premier League and Championship and other ex-players were just hand big jobs which except Lampard is bullshit

I don’t think it is bullshit. 

Campbell might not be the best example, but it seems pretty clear that white ex players get more opportunities than black players 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think it is bullshit. 

Campbell might not be the best example, but it seems pretty clear that white ex players get more opportunities than black players 

Out of the top 2 tiers only Lampard has had no experience though. Parker is just a caretaker. Every other manager has worked the lower leagues in England or abroad. 

Most players that do get jobs temporary like Parker, Giggs or Sherwood are usually caretakers working at that club already.

Because he always puts himself forward, on what basis would Villa or any CEO even interview Dwight Yorke? 

Â