What's our biggest home defeat in the league in our history?

robby b

I can't find anywhere on the internet that says what our biggest ever league home defeat is, not even on Wikipedia. Does anyone know? Since 1934 I know that the joint biggest are 1-7 against Arsenal (in 1935) and 0-6 against Liverpool (in 2016). But what about between 1874 and 1935? Was there an even heavier league match defeat at Villa Park? 

(I know this topic isn't very cheerful but I'm curious and would like to know).

Edited by robby b

We also lost 1-7 to Bolton Wanderers on boxing day, 1914 (and then drew with them 2-2 at their place 6 days later!)

So the 1-7 defeats to Bolton Wanderers in 1914 and Arsenal in 1935 are the joint worst home defeats in our history. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Why do you want to start a thread about it?

Because I spent nearly half an hour trying to find the answer on the internet and I couldn't find it anywhere! One of my best mates is a Liverpool fan, I was just wondering about that defeat in 2016. Let's just hope we don't lose by that much again this century!

Edited by robby b

1 minute ago, robby b said:

Because I spent nearly half an hour trying to find the answer on the internet and I couldn't find it anywhere! One of my best mates is a Liverpool fan, I was just wondering about that defeat in 2016. Let's just hope we don't lose by that much at home again this century!

I'd rather go and find what our biggest victory is

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

We also lost 1-7 to Bolton Wanderers on boxing day, 1914 (and then drew with them 2-2 at their place 6 days later!)

So the 1-7 defeats to Bolton Wanderers in 1914 and Arsenal in 1935 are the joint worst home defeats in our history. 

Thank you! So we've never lost by more than six goals at home in the league, hoorah! : ) I'm off to celebrate.

About that 2-2 with Bolton six days later, maybe the Villa players had a bit of a telling off from the manager after the 1-7! :s

I will check my official history of Aston Villa book which lists records. I seem to recall something about a 13-1 win against Sheffield and Old Albion or summat. That was probably FA Cup though. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I will check my official history of Aston Villa book which lists records. I seem to recall something about a 13-1 win against Sheffield and Old Albion or summat. That was probably FC Cup though. 

So maybe 13-1 is our biggest win in all competitions then. But the 12-2 against Accrington Stanley in 1892 is our record league win, according to avfc.co.uk. I should buy that official history book, it sounds good. :)The records lists I found on the internet yesterday were a bit limited. 

Not Sure, on the reversal.....but I seem to recall Ted Drake scoring a bundle for Chelsea at VP.....didn't Liverpool get 6 in our last  season in the Prem.

On a lighter note

• We recorded a Record league score of Aston Villa 12 Accrington 2 , division 1 12 March 1892
  • Highest Post war Victory : Aston Villa 11, Charlton Athletic 1, division 2  14 November 1959

get someone to buy you .....Aston Villa " The complete Record"  by Bob Bishop & Frank Holt.....it will be your AV Bible.

Ps I have been trying to get Bob to update it as it only runs to 2009.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Not Sure, on the reversal.....but I seem to recall Ted Drake scoring a bundle for Chelsea at VP.....didn't Liverpool get 6 in our last  season in the Prem.

On a lighter note

• We recorded a Record league score of Aston Villa 12 Accrington 2 , division 1 12 March 1892
  • Highest Post war Victory : Aston Villa 11, Charlton Athletic 1, division 2  14 November 1959

get someone to buy you .....Aston Villa " The complete Record"  by Bob Bishop & Frank Holt.....it will be your AV Bible.

Ps I have been trying to get Bob to update it as it only runs to 2009.

Mine is "Aston Villa a complete record 1874 - 1988" by David Goodyear and Tony Matthews. 

It's got every result and loads of other interesting information but sadly record scores are not specifically highlighted so I would have to trawl through each year which I really can't be arsed to do. 

I did find the 13 goals for though which was 13-0 against Wednesbury Old Athletic 30th October 1886 in the FA Cup. It also confirms the 12 - 2 against Accrington as being the record league win within the text. 

I couldn't see reference to record defeat but I know I have another book which does show that, just can't find it at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I ready didn’t. Why would any villa fan be interested in our heaviest ever defeat??

so wierd

It takes all sorts....but hey, its his call.

Edited by TRO

Â