Games of the Year 2018

Chindie

It's that time of year (and everyone is doing it :))...

What are your games of the year?

No arbitrary limits on numbers, only requirement is it is a UK release in 2018.

It's been a good year all in all.

I'll need to think about mine a bit more but things that jump out straight away...

Red Dead Redemption 2

God of War

Spider-Man

Octopath Traveller

Dark Souls Remastered

Tetris Effect

God of War for me too

Red dead is stunning but im still at that time wasting not really doing much phase at the moment, 25 hours in and half way through chapter 2, think it will in to the new year before i finish it and appreciate it for what it is

spiderman was excellent too, i had it down for a 7/10 game and wasnt that fussed by it before launch

found monster hunter disappointing, the far cry series has sunk in to the typical ubisoft bang average game, ni no kuni was a disappointment, battlefield beta didnt impress so still yet to play it, tomb raider and detroit i havent bothered with yet either

RDR 2

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Yakuza 6

Overcooked 2

Forgotton Anne

There's an awful lot of critically acclaimed games I would love to have played, but haven't yet - the likes of God of War, Spiderman and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Perhaps they'd get a mention if I had played them, but the above is what I remember mostly about this year. I played an unreal amount of Yakuza - 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2 and 6, goodness knows how many hours went into them this year. 

It’s got to be RDR2 for me, but I’ve only played 4 new games this year.

I thought Far Cry 5 was fun, but I like that series anyway. I had no idea there was a new one out in February, they seem to churn them out.

I couldn’t really get in to God of War. I could tell it was a great game, I just didnt enjoy it and stopped playing after a few hours. Not for me.

And Lego Incredibles...because I’m a big kid who loves the Lego games.

Edited by Paddywhack

I think it's probably God of War for me as well.

I absolutely devoured that game. I platinumed it inside a week. It was superb. Absolutely beautiful, excellent performances, satisfying gameplay, a nice story with a setting and theme that hasn't been done to death and a brilliant sense of reverence for the source. It's excellent. It isn't even saddled with nickel and dime crap. It's biggest flaws are a little too much repetition of an enemy type and and a couple of annoying enemies you fight for a while in the mid game. It's excellent.

Spider-Man is also superb, it's biggest flaws for me being underutilised rogues gallery and a slightly too heavy reliance on collectables (but even that is mitigated by the fact the traversal is **** awesome).

Red Dead Redemption 2 is excellent, but marred a little by the convoluted control system and the really languid pace of things, especially movement speed. You get used to all that, and it's ultimately a really minor thing, but it feels like the game is holding you at arms distance until it clicks. I've not quite finished the epilogue, so perhaps things might change, but I found the story is decent but again not flawless - I felt like it was caught between 2 stalls, between telling a story that served as a prequel to Red Dead Redemption 1, and being a character observation. This leads the final chapter to escalate at a bizarre pace, especially after the weird interlude that precedes it that does absolutely nothing for the game at all. It just doesn't quite hang together satisfyingly, being a vital, final hair's breadth from masterful. So much of it is excellent, but I don't quite love it like I loved it's predecessor, and I don't quite love it like I loved God of War.

Not much has been released this year which has grabbed my attention enough to pay the premium on a newly released game. I've spent most of the latter part playing the PSVR back-catalogue so haven't indulged in RDR2 yet.

From what I have played, Kingdom Come Deliverance was the best followed by Astrobot.

Overwatch and Dirt Rally have been my most played titles of 2018.

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

@Paddywhack - let me borrow GOW? 😍

I loved GOW3 - one of the only games I played through more than once (MGS1 being another), never got round to playing this as it would mean me putting BF5 down and RDR2 (which I loved btw). 

Sorry man, traded it in months ago. For Lego Incredibles I think lolz

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm going with Breath of the Wild and Gran Turismo Sport. Even though they didn't come out this year.
It's literally all I've played all year.

Wanna fight about it?

They don’t count.

200w.gif?cid=8d8c03585c0e99d9497a6452369

• Sad 1

Â