Albums of the Year 2018

bickster

Just now, theboyangel said:

My kids love it! (have to disguise some of the lyrics though ;) )

Yeah, I'm not even talking to my kids.

There was some programme or advert or something on the tv and a kid plays some music their dad likes, to remind them of home.

My kids just laughed and one said to the other, 'could you imagine playing dad's music?' 

Little shits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

1) BC Camplight - Deportation Blues

I keep trying to listen to this but never quite manage it

10) King Gizzard & The Wizard Lizard - Gumboot Soup

Technically released on 31st December 2017 (kidding because I know the physical release was this year)

13) Marianne Faithfull - Negative Capability

14) Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood - With Animals

two I haven't got round to but meant to, so thanks for the reminder

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I'm not even talking to my kids.

There was some programme or advert or something on the tv and a kid plays some music their dad likes, to remind them of home.

My kids just laughed and one said to the other, 'could you imagine playing dad's music?' 

Little shits.

My 'kids' (31, and 29 today - Happy Birthday, Alice) share a large proportion of my musical tastes. We frequently recommend albums to each other, and go to gigs together. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My 'kids' (31, and 29 today - Happy Birthday, Alice) share a large proportion of my musical tastes. We frequently recommend albums to each other, and go to gigs together. 

Oh mine defo do their own thing. They like a group called Station Breaks and they contribute to crowd funding the band's trips over to play gigs. I quite like that idea. They like a couple of vaguely sort of country guys called Jason Manns and Rob Benedict. They're also really in to their musicals, they've met Lin-Manuel Miranda, which they both thought was the best thing ever.

We do have some cross over, but not that much.

But I have faked up a birth certificate so one could get in to a gig in London on her own when she was 13. I'm a great parent.

• Like 1

Zeal and Ardor's "Stranger Fruit" is tops by a distance for me.  Probably contender for show of the year too, was one of those performances that puts chills all up and down my spine.

The rest, in no order:

Matt Calvert - Typewritten
VLMV - Stranded, Not Lost
Jean Jean - Froidepierre
The Longcut - Arrows
Big Lad - Pro Rock
Polymath - House Of Wisdom/We Are The Devil
Pijn - Loss
a-tota-so - a-tota-so
Carpenter Brut - Leather Teeth

• Like 1

Top 5 in no particular order -

Ghost - Prequelle

Zeal & Ardor - Stranger Fruits

Clutch - Book of Bad Decisions

Møl - Jord

Anaal Nathrakh - A New Kind of Horror

Well, I say no order but the first 3 have been the stand out albums of the year IMO. Ghost have just gone to the next level with their album, and expect them to take that step up. Zeal & Ardor is something quite spectacular and beautiful. Clutch have added to their  mass of quality songs, even throwing in a song that is a recipe for crab cakes?!?

Møl was an excellent addition to the Blackgaze genre and completely outshone Ghost Bath when saw them live last month. Anaal Nathrakh was a very solid return to form as well, with the WWI theme working very well.

Special mentions I think should go to Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats - Wasteland, Judas Priest - Firepower, Ihsahn - Amr, Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins, Behemoth - I Loved You at your Darkest, Conjurer - Mire and Cancer Bats - The Spark That Moves. All good albums.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Every year this thread makes me feel so out of touch.

I think the only new album I’ve heard this year is the First Aid Kit one.

Indeed. I just looked at cyrusr's list in total bafflement. Until I spotted Judas Priest. I've heard of them - the rest may as well have been made up by a random band name generator. 

Then again, maybe my list is the same for the average under-30 year old. 

• Like 2

KEN Mode - Loved

The Body - I have fought against it, but can't any longer. 

Tropical **** storm - A laughing death in meatspace

Puce Mary - The draught 

Anna von hausswolff - Dead magic 

Birds of passage - The death of our invention 

Haru Nemuri - 春と修羅

EP

Jenny Hval - The long sleep

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed. I just looked at cyrusr's list in total bafflement. Until I spotted Judas Priest. I've heard of them - the rest may as well have been made up by a random band name generator. 

Then again, maybe my list is the same for the average under-30 year old. 

Heard of Bob Dylan and Neil Young but otherwise totally baffled! I’m not under 30 though; think it’s more of there is a ridiculous amount of music out there to cater for everyone’s taste. That is the beauty of music, no 2 people have identical tastes in music!

One that I did forget was the Oh Sees - Smote Reverser. Never heard of them before and them somebody (really sorry can’t remember who but thank you!) posted the album cover which is awesome. Really good album and I have villatalk to thank for it! :D

• Like 2

One of the shops I go to quite frequently has just changed it's display system. 

Previously all their vinyl albums were (more or less) simply alphabetical. Due to it currently being trendy they've expanded a little and decided to start filing by genre. I think that's a shame because I'm unlikely to go browsing through heavy metal, or hip hop or 'world' music. But when Causa Sui were close to Colorama and Can, when Goat was by Gulp and Lay Llamas by Lee Scratch Perry, then there was a chance I'd try something different.

Now it's sort of like that Youtube / amazon / HMV algorithm thing 'hey, we've specially selected this for you, here's more of the same'.

Which is why VT is still really handy.

12 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Heard of Bob Dylan and Neil Young but otherwise totally baffled! I’m not under 30 though; think it’s more of there is a ridiculous amount of music out there to cater for everyone’s taste. That is the beauty of music, no 2 people have identical tastes in music!

One that I did forget was the Oh Sees - Smote Reverser. Never heard of them before and them somebody (really sorry can’t remember who but thank you!) posted the album cover which is awesome. Really good album and I have villatalk to thank for it! :D

Guilty as charged and it's a pleasure :mrgreen:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Previously all their vinyl albums were (more or less) simply alphabetical. Due to it currently being trendy they've expanded a little and decided to start filing by genre. I think that's a shame because I'm unlikely to go browsing through heavy metal, or hip hop or 'world' music. But when Causa Sui were close to Colorama and Can, when Goat was by Gulp and Lay Llamas by Lee Scratch Perry, then there was a chance I'd try something different.

Now it's sort of like that Youtube / amazon / HMV algorithm thing 'hey, we've specially selected this for you, here's more of the same'.

HMV (The evil empire) sort of do that, everything is lumped into Pop and Rock one huge section, then there's a separate Metal Gulag :mrgreen:

Probe is still pretty much A-Z but they have minor sections for Reggae, Soundtracks, 60's (for all the Schmeatles fans not to annoy the normal punters) and Krautrock.  EDIT: Though I do like the New Releases section, as that's where I usually head first

I prefer A-Z if I'm honest

Rough Trade in Bristol had a huge section just called "American and Canadian" now that's effin stupid

Edited by bickster

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Every year this thread makes me feel so out of touch.

I think the only new album I’ve heard this year is the First Aid Kit one.

Apart from Kids See Ghosts I'm not sure I've heard of a single album that's been suggested so far.

In fact I've barely heard of any of the artists, let alone the albums.

On 08/12/2018 at 10:11, chrisp65 said:

I struggle to look beyond the last great thing I heard. 

But as Bicks said above, it feels like it was a bloody good year.

Two albums from Colorama, I've only got one of them and need to pick the other up next week. Of course, there's also the quadruple album of previously unreleased bits n bobs from Super Furry Animals. Right now, that's just on loop. 

There's about 6 or 7 on Bicks list that are also on mine, so I'm not sure whether to be worried about that or not?

I was fortunate this year because as coincidence would have it, I started a new section in the shelves at the start of the year, So I really did have an easy starting point

Â