Players that never lived up to the promise

Keyblade

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

JPA was just massively hyped from the time he signed (pound protests).

Was a good striker no doubt and brilliant in 03/04 but Yorke, Dublin and Benteke were more effective forwards for us in the last twenty years.

Angel would be in the Gabby, Vassell, Joachim,Savo,  Carew category of being excellent for a time and then a run of poor form crops up.

He was pretty exceptional at River so came with that hype. I actually thought he was very good in 2001-2002, scored some lovely goals and looked really sharp on the ball, excellent in 2003-2004 but generally poor outside of those seasons. 

• Like 1

I have no doubts what so ever he would have become a club legend had he not had his leg broken.

One of my all time favorite players and one of the saddest moments in following Villa for me.

Oh what could have been...

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, sne said:

I have no doubts what so ever he would have become a club legend had he not had his leg broken.

One of my all time favorite players and one of the saddest moments in following Villa for me.

Oh what could have been...

Incredible talent. No wonder Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo rate him among the best they've ever played with.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Incredible talent. No wonder Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo rate him among the best they've ever played with.

He was like a mix between the best attributes from Marco van Basten and Matthew Le Tissier.

Amazing player.

Edit: Obviously not saying he was as good as van Basten.

Edited by sne

On 04/12/2018 at 21:58, Keyblade said:

Jordan Veretout - Ditto. Went on to fulfill his promise and is apparently in line for a France call-up.

This really doesn't surprise me, I always thought he looked a good player at Villa, even though everyone disagreed with me.

It's funny. My view of JPA is massively skewed. His best seasons for us were during the only short spell in the last 25 years where I didn't really follow Villa.

I mean I did follow them. i still watched some games and followed results, but it wasn't like it is now or was before then. I was 17-18, massively into rugby an other activities that come with being that age and football didn't mean as much for a short while.

So when i think of Angel I never remember him as fondly as most Villa fans. And I always have to remind myself that that's more my fault than his!

4 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Carlos Cuellar..

Pure crap shocking we paid nearly 8mil for him. I know lot fans  rate him but I saw nothing other than an average defender that we massively overpaid for.

I was excited when we signed him as he looked pretty decent but you're right, didn't quite do it down here for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I was excited when we signed him as he looked pretty decent but you're right, didn't quite do it down here for us.

to be honest mate i was excited too as Rangers fans was saying he was best thing sliced bread. I had never watched that league much until 2 years ago :D

Very, very disappointed. I rated Van Djik at Groningen and mentioned him on here before he went to Celtic just before we signed Bacuna from same club.

Alas if only we went for someone like that who really did stand out in Scotland when the very average Cuellar had a decent season in the UEFA Cup didn't Rangers get to Final and hence why his price tag was so big!

I didn't watch any of them games before we signed him but was mega excited. Man he was so so poor :D Let's be honest he was awful for money we paid lol

• Haha 1

Always thought Cuellar was shit, probably a nice guy but one of the worst Spanish footballers to grace the Premier League regarding technique until we outdid him by signing Luna. He did have a good campaign with Rangers but they were a negative team and defended a lot, think he was partnered with 60 year old David Weir

On 16/12/2018 at 09:53, Dr_Pangloss said:

He was pretty exceptional at River so came with that hype. I actually thought he was very good in 2001-2002, scored some lovely goals and looked really sharp on the ball, excellent in 2003-2004 but generally poor outside of those seasons. 

I remember being at VP seeing him score a ridiculous goal against Chelsea in the league cup that 2003/04 season. Think that was the same cup run he scored from near the corner flag against Bolton as well (although i was always sure that was an attempted cross).

Didn't he blow out his knee the following pre-season and was never quite the same again?

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Cuellar was alright at centre half most of the time I thought.

He was bloody shifted out to RB for most of his time here. He was not good there at all.

MON 😣

Eck liked a good throwback to the MON era too.

Who could forget Carlos Cuellar teaming up with Alan Hutton on the right to stop Gareth Bale?

On 15/12/2018 at 04:58, Villan4Life said:

Sasa Curcic anyone?

Watched his debut from the North Stand and he ran himself ragged. He had a great game and I thought "we have a player on our hands here."

He never had another good game that I can remember. All I ever heard when I went down VP after that was that people had seen him doing coke with Collymore in various different locations. (allegedly)

Maybe a case of getting the big move, the big money and falling into the trap of thinking he'd made it and failing to knuckle down.

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Jesus...  Was I the only one who liked Cuellar?  I still rate him as the best CB we've had since Laursen.  

I liked him. 

But he wasn't very good. He was very expensive (at the time) which probably means people look on him less favourably.

There is no chance he's the best cb since Laursen, imo. Even at his peak for us I'd put him behind our two current CBs.

Quite easily Scott Hogan - Big Fee - Doesn't score goals - can scarcely control the ball - Behind on Babalan IMO. 

Sure there have been loads of other dross signed for smaller fees - who have totally bombed - but on a ratio of fee's paid / impact Hogan is right up there. 

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Watched his debut from the North Stand and he ran himself ragged. He had a great game and I thought "we have a player on our hands here."

He never had another good game that I can remember. All I ever heard when I went down VP after that was that people had seen him doing coke with Collymore in various different locations. (allegedly)

Maybe a case of getting the big move, the big money and falling into the trap of thinking he'd made it and failing to knuckle down.

He was just mad, his Wikipedia backs that up. Retired at 28 and seems to be a professional reality tv star in Serbia 

Â