Players that never lived up to the promise

Keyblade

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Whittingham. I remember him whipping in 2 beauties for Angel to bag a brace against Leicester and set him on his way to that 23 goal season.

He has had a good career but I thought at the time we had a bloody gem on our hands.

When you said Whittingham, I immediately thought of Guy who never quite made the step up from 1st division to Premier League after that great goal scoring season with Portsmouth.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Whenever I think of Veretout I remember we apparently signed him ahead of Leicester and although he's doing pretty well at Fiorentina now, I feel really bad for him that he came to dumpster fire Aston Villa and missed out on going down in footballing folklore with that Leicester side.

Kanté was reportedly their back-up option after missing out on Veretout if I remember rightly, I think there's an argument to be made that if they'd got Veretout over Kanté they wouldn't have actually won the league.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:51, rodders0223 said:

Whittingham. I remember him whipping in 2 beauties for Angel to bag a brace against Leicester and set him on his way to that 23 goal season.

He has had a good career but I thought at the time we had a bloody gem on our hands.

Yes he did have a very good career at Cardiff. Had a magical left foot. O'Neil didn't like him.

23 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Kanté was reportedly their back-up option after missing out on Veretout if I remember rightly, I think there's an argument to be made that if they'd got Veretout over Kanté they wouldn't have actually won the league.

Kante could have been our backup option and then we would have stayed up 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:29, PaulC said:

Kante could have been our backup option and then we would have stayed up 

We would have won the league. Westwood in the Drinkwater role, Gabby as Vardy and Rudy Gestede as the hard running hard working Okazaki

What could have been

• Haha 4

On 10/12/2018 at 22:20, New_Hope said:

When you said Whittingham, I immediately thought of Guy who never quite made the step up from 1st division to Premier League after that great goal scoring season with Portsmouth.

we always bought the scorer and not the creator/assister

• Guy Whittingham/Paul Walsh
  • Tony Cascarino/Teddy Sheringham

Edited by TRO

Probably already said but the Moore brothers. Stefan's first goal for us was a terrific solo effort but he never pushed on, lacking the desire to live up to his potential. Luke Moore was among the very best forwards in the FA youth cup at the time where Rooney was getting all the plaudits. He played well as a 19 year old in the 2005/06 season, scoring close to 10 goals, including a very well taken hattrick away to Middlesbrough. He started MON's first season very well IMO, playing more of an outside forward role, a serious injury put him out for pretty much the rest of the season and he never looked the same player.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 19:30, VillanousOne said:

People think Angel was a flop and to be fair he was branded that for much of his early career but he did really well towards the end, almost 50/50 - but does that mean he didn't fulfil his potential because half his time at Villa was terrible?

Gabby was decent for large spells of his time at Villa but most rightfully remember the end of his career and that tarnishes our memory of him.

JPA was just massively hyped from the time he signed (pound protests).

Was a good striker no doubt and brilliant in 03/04 but Yorke, Dublin and Benteke were more effective forwards for us in the last twenty years.

Angel would be in the Gabby, Vassell, Joachim,Savo,  Carew category of being excellent for a time and then a run of poor form crops up.

On 09/12/2018 at 22:32, Zatman said:

Never saw it myself but Nigel Reo-Coker was always woefully overhyped. He was captain of West Ham at about 21 and he was always touted as England potential. Not sure he ever got near the squad

Didnt help his manager described him as Makelele with legs

NRC was limited with his passing but we could always press well with him in midfield. Ask Barry and Petrov and would imagine they appreciated the legs he gave midfield aswell as Milner joined us a year later.

He also played well for a time when Houllier came in which showed he could adapt to a different style of management and tactics.

Bizzare how his career fizzled out after he left. Got relegated with Bolton and that was the last of him in the premier league.

On 13/12/2018 at 17:05, Zatman said:

We would have won the league. Westwood in the Drinkwater role, Gabby as Vardy and Rudy Gestede as the hard running hard working Okazaki

What could have been

Thought Michael111 or whatever he's called had actually hacked your account then Zat!

• Haha 1

Â