Players that never lived up to the promise

Keyblade

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Mellberg was a rock, him and Laursen were amazing for us imo.

I rated Laursen highly. I would have loved to have seen Laursen and Vlaar paired together. For me, Vlaar was seriously underrated. If he was around during the MON era he would be remembered as a different player. Clark and Okore also ridiculously underrated and neither have come close yet to reaching their full potential.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Agreed, I thought he showed tonnes of potential but was also sold to Bolton to fund the recruitment of Curtis Davies.

My list of our most overrated players: Fabian Delph, Curtis Davies, Darius Vassell (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Olof Mellberg (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Jordan Veretout, Jordan Ayew, Rudy Gestede, Stewart Downing, Stephen Ireland, Jermaine Jenas, Luke Moore, Henri Lansbury, Glenn Whelan, Albert Adomah, James Chester, Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham.

mellberg is a strange choice indeed...as is abraham?? not just goal scoring, ability to hold the ball up and roll defenders to create chances for himself...the guy is class.

besides, this is players not lived up to their potential thread, not overrated thread...not sure how much 'potential' the likes of jenas and whelan had when they came to us. and think it's rather unfair to say jack hasnt lived up to his potential when he's still only 23

I must admit I was utterly seduced by the Traore highlight reel that was doing the rounds before we signed him. Have genuinely never been so excited to sign a player.

Downing was serviceable enough but remains my most hated Villa player 

Lescott. I expected nothing and was somehow still disappointed.

• Like 2

On 04/12/2018 at 21:58, Keyblade said:

Jean II Makoun - Had some outstanding passing performances early in his Villa career but just faded into obscurity after that red card away to Blackpool. I remember him having an incredible against Man Utd away where he had like a 90% passing accuracy on something like 90 passes. Why he never kicked on was a mystery.

For Makoun, see the Berson person.  Mainly because I like saying the Berson person, but he was a player.  I remember him in a poor Villa side absolutely running the show against a far superior Arsenal.  Sadly, like most of our 'flops' he was a player out of time.  He'd probably excel in the current team, but his M.O. of keeping the ball and generally passing it to a teammate ... well these were tactics we wouldn't adopt until years after he left.

• Like 3

Milan Baros has to be in there. I was excited when we signed him, scored a goal on his debut and promptly disappeared.

Mathieu Berson? Seemed to take an age to sign him and we finally did. Looked decent but then bombed out immediately.

Shaun Maloney - again seemed to be chasing him forever only for him to be frozen out even when playing well.

Curtis Davies - so much potential and never flourished.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Milan Baros has to be in there. I was excited when we signed him, scored a goal on his debut and promptly disappeared.

Mathieu Berson? Seemed to take an age to sign him and we finally did. Looked decent but then bombed out immediately.

Shaun Maloney - again seemed to be chasing him forever only for him to be frozen out even when playing well.

Curtis Davies - so much potential and never flourished.

did enough for me...wasnt prolific, but did ok. plus a brace vs the blues

whilst on the subject of strikers, i would like to make a case for crouch. he was awful for us

Didier Six for me (cos I'm old). 

I remember watching the midlands today piece on him, showing him doing keepy-uppies and being all gallic and cool and I was instantly a fan. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BOF said:

For Makoun, see the Berson person.  Mainly because I like saying the Berson person, but he was a player.  I remember him in a poor Villa side absolutely running the show against a far superior Arsenal.  Sadly, like most of our 'flops' he was a player out of time.  He'd probably excel in the current team, but his M.O. of keeping the ball and generally passing it to a teammate ... well these were tactics we wouldn't adopt until years after he left.

Yep. He had one look at Alex McLeish when he came in and went 

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/12/2018 at 03:06, maqroll said:

Angel.

He should've destroyed the league. Never quite hit the heights though.

Amazing how differently we judge people. I'd have him in my top 10 players for us since the naughties. Loved him. Granted he had a few shocking moments towards the end like missing 2 penalties in a game and kicking the corner flag trying to take a corner, but overall was really good for us.

Fabian Delph also mentioned by a couple of people, they need to give their heads a wobble. It's no surprise we got relegated as soon as he left - was holding us together.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Every player we signed from Coventry ? You have heard of Dennis Mortimer ? And I know you mentioned the 90's, but Dion wasn't too bad either or Boateng .

but we are talking about players that didn't live up to their promise.

A lot of those players came from Coventry 90s onwards.

Â