Players that never lived up to the promise

Keyblade

38 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Brett Holman though to be fair no one expected much😄

Brett Holman definitely did NOT live up to expectations....... 

.... I was expecting worse 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Brett Holman though to be fair no one expected much😄

36 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Brett Holman definitely did NOT live up to expectations....... 

.... I was expecting worse 

I was both happy and depressed to see Australians representing Villa. Holman was one, Herd was the other.

They certainly weren't anything like Viduka, Kewell or Cahill!

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this headless chicken but for me, Adama Traoré.

Look, i know he is only 23 but when we signed him i thought we were signing the next barcalona-wunderkid version of Ronaldo....and instead got this;

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this headless chicken but for me, Adama Traoré.

Look, i know he is only 23 but when we signed him i thought we were signing the next barcalona-wunderkid version of Ronaldo....and instead got this;

So much potential if he just had the slightest football brain. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Not that he came with much promise, but Tonev was so poor at times I felt bad for the guy.

I didn't. There comes a time when you are playing awful, you just ease your way into the game, you play it safe, you get a few passes in, you just do a job for the team and keep things tidy.

78 shots into row Z later the guy clearly rates himself to take on a 79th effort (this is after 7 minutes of a game by the way)
Absymal player and serious delusions about his ability.

I was excited by Useless De La Cruz's debut, and in his defence, when he had Solano in front of him, he was pretty decent, but could have some shockers. 

Carlton Cole in his debut (against Southampton) where he scored 2 goals and looked fast, strong, good in the air, tricky with his feet and good movement off the ball.. Then he scored something like 4 in 38 games... and his legacy went on from there.. Not sure why West Ham fans seem to like him, he was pants.

Marlon Harewood came from scoring 18 league goals for West Ham, again, looked really strong, struck the ball sweet as a nut, but just didn't work out.. That said, I'll always remember his overhead kick vs Liverpool, I went mental in Anfield that night :) 

Berson came on against Arsenal when we were a couple down and looked really good, spraying passes about, then we never played him.

Djemba x2 looked ok in his debut, then was pants.

Baros was someone who I thought would be really good for us, and in flashes he did show quality, but after Liverpool I think his appetite for the game went.  That Angel goal with him and Baros combining is one of my favorite goals though :) 

Ginola was poor for us.  Showed some flashes of his European player of the year ability, but you could tell he couldn't be bothered.  Night and day compared to Merson, who had a point to prove I guess. 

• Like 2

On 21/06/2019 at 03:39, A'Villan said:

I was both happy and depressed to see Australians representing Villa. Holman was one, Herd was the other.

Herd is now 30 years old. That blows my mind, he's still a youngster in my mind.

He plays for Chennaiyin FC now, being managed by John Gregory.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I didn't. There comes a time when you are playing awful, you just ease your way into the game, you play it safe, you get a few passes in, you just do a job for the team and keep things tidy.

78 shots into row Z later the guy clearly rates himself to take on a 79th effort (this is after 7 minutes of a game by the way)
Absymal player and serious delusions about his ability.

You're spot on. While you exaggerate, I know what you mean, the opportunity definitely got to his head.

When I said I feel bad for the guy, was more that I was embarrassed for him, as opposed to feeling sorry for him. He earned one million per year here, so he was well taken care of.

You can't knock him for being selected though. It says something about the state of the club when the player you have described gets 17 appearances.

Tonev's purchase was Petrov's idea, and Tonev apparently did well in Poland. How he inspired the confidence to become a player at our club is a mystery to me.

Even more unknown to me is how he got an opportunity 17 times. He was either given license to play the way he did, or couldn't follow a fundamental, follow the game plan.

His debut against Chelsea was handed to him in the latter stages of a match where we had the chance to take something from the game.

Either he was rated by people at the club, or, our club has gone on the word of a single man in Petrov, and in any case selected Tonev for half a season. Baffling to me.

If he was delusional he had people who had made the grade at our club telling him it was a good idea, Petrov at least anyway. The Bulgarian national team too I think.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Carlton Cole in his debut (against Southampton) where he scored 2 goals and looked fast, strong, good in the air, tricky with his feet and good movement off the ball.. Then he scored something like 4 in 38 games... and his legacy went on from there.. Not sure why West Ham fans seem to like him, he was pants.

Same reason people like Hutton I guess. It starts off kind of ironic and a good laugh and then over time people actually forget that is irony, they forget just how bad a player is and it becomes a sort of myth that they are decent.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Same reason people like Hutton I guess. It starts off kind of ironic and a good laugh and then over time people actually forget that is irony, they forget just how bad a player is and it becomes a sort of myth that they are decent.

Also even if you're a shit player if you go on about how you "Love it at this proper club" and 'love the fans passion' and other half baked quotes like this fans of tin pot clubs like West Ham will call you a legend

• 1 month later...
On 16/06/2019 at 16:00, VillaChris said:

He's a good player for Preston. Certainly good standard box to box top half championship player although don't think he'd be effective in premier league.

I remember that mass midfield injury run we had in the early months of Houllier in 2010, guys like Bannan and Johnny Hogg were suddenly getting premier league starts for 3-4 weeks. Johnson was about 19/20 at the time but don't remember him featuring.

He would have just turned 18

Â