Players that never lived up to the promise

Keyblade

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What happened to Nil Lampety? 

Didnt he have a fantastic debut in the league cup but then never played again? 

Or did I dream it?

Played a total of ten league games according to Wiki, where it also says this:

Lamptey retired from football in 2008. He now breeds cattle and sheep on a farm on the outskirts of Accra. He served as a pundit on Ghanaian television during the 2014 World Cup

And also this:

Lamptey married Gloria Appiah in 1993. The marriage was a controversial one, angering his brothers, as Gloria is from a different tribe (Fante) to his (Ga).[3] He had five children, of whom two died to lung diseases.[5] However, a DNA test revealed he was not the biological father of the remaining three children and he divorced her. Although she took him to court to get 50% of his assets in the divorce, this was refused by the judge

• Confused 1

I don't know if it was that he didn't quite live up to his promise rather than just not finding a place in the team, but I always had high hopes for Daniel Johnson, and not just because of his hair.

I think he always seemed like a tidy and busy player and in my opinion is having a decent career away from us anyway.

Maybe some would argue in actual fact he reached his potential/promise and played at the standard he was capable of and wouldn't have competed at any higher level, but I still would have liked to have seen him more frequently in a Villa shirt.

Image result for daniel johnson aston villa

• Like 1

On 04/12/2018 at 23:19, CosmicVillan said:

Nigel Callaghan...left and became a fat DJ

This would be my choice. Was expecting a brilliant winger but he was dross and dropped out of football. One of our early wastes of money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

This would be my choice. Was expecting a brilliant winger but he was dross and dropped out of football. One of our early wastes of money. 

Do you remember us signing Andy Comyn..literally from nowhere straight into the opening game of the top flite. 

Can you imagine if we did that now ?

• Haha 1

On 13/06/2019 at 20:05, rodders0223 said:

Curtis Davies. I felt he had promise and maybe we should have invested more time and effort in him and we would have been a lot better off in the long run instead of signing shite after shite.

Seems a top lad too and I have been very impressed with him whenever I have seen him interviewed.

Did he ever had any good form in prem? Went to SHA and was back up to Dann/Roger Johnson. Played well for them in the championship. Went to Hull and seemed to play o.k but they got relegated with him and Dawson at the back in 14/15 and he's remained in the championship ever since. Pretty sure we signed him largely on his championship form for WBA as they went down in 05/06, can't remember if he was in their team at that point.

You compare him to Cahill being a regular in the top 4 with Chelsea last 7 seasons and what a bomb MON dropped in that area.

On 14/06/2019 at 02:45, MrDuck said:

No, not the goal-scoring midfielder we thought we'd signed... but he developed into a brilliant holding midfielder, and he read the game better than anyone we've had since McGrath.

Stan didn't have pace to play box to box midfield role he seemingly played for Celtic (let's remember though SPL is just about championship standard) but I agree after the crowd stopped giving him stick for not being the new Merson, he adapted his guy nicely and became a very intelligent DM alongside Barry. Just needed a bit more mobility in there against the better teams, a midfield trio of Barry, Petrov and Milner would've been incredible to us, pretty much ticks all the boxes. Shame Milner was only switched centrally after Barry left. Another what might have been.

8 hours ago, 8pints said:

I don't know if it was that he didn't quite live up to his promise rather than just not finding a place in the team, but I always had high hopes for Daniel Johnson, and not just because of his hair.

I think he always seemed like a tidy and busy player and in my opinion is having a decent career away from us anyway.

Maybe some would argue in actual fact he reached his potential/promise and played at the standard he was capable of and wouldn't have competed at any higher level, but I still would have liked to have seen him more frequently in a Villa shirt.

He's a good player for Preston. Certainly good standard box to box top half championship player although don't think he'd be effective in premier league.

I remember that mass midfield injury run we had in the early months of Houllier in 2010, guys like Bannan and Johnny Hogg were suddenly getting premier league starts for 3-4 weeks. Johnson was about 19/20 at the time but don't remember him featuring.

• Like 1

Will always be Collymore for me. I was absolutely sure Stan was going to fire us to the title. 

Conversely i thought big Dion was a pretty uninspiring signing which shows what i know about these things. 

On 15/06/2019 at 13:15, Vive_La_Villa said:

What happened to Nil Lampety? 

Didnt he have a fantastic debut in the league cup but then never played again? 

Or did I dream it?

No I think you are right - I seem to recall this as well👍🏻

On 13/06/2019 at 17:39, hippo said:

I actually we ground Lambert down. He came full of fresh ideas and wanting exciting play.

He left with us playing 9 men behind the ball, passing it sideways at walking pace.

It was sort of untransformation if there is such a thing/word 

100 % agree with you 

14 hours ago, 8pints said:

Absolutely ran the show in the 2nd half at VP.

• Like 1

"we" did not ground Lambert down. He was out of his league and his CV post Villa confirms it. 

On 15/06/2019 at 14:26, rjw63 said:

Played a total of ten league games according to Wiki, where it also says this:

Lamptey retired from football in 2008. He now breeds cattle and sheep on a farm on the outskirts of Accra. He served as a pundit on Ghanaian television during the 2014 World Cup

And also this:

Lamptey married Gloria Appiah in 1993. The marriage was a controversial one, angering his brothers, as Gloria is from a different tribe (Fante) to his (Ga).[3] He had five children, of whom two died to lung diseases.[5] However, a DNA test revealed he was not the biological father of the remaining three children and he divorced her. Although she took him to court to get 50% of his assets in the divorce, this was refused by the judge

Gloria sounds like a classy lady 

2 minutes ago, veloman said:

This may be before many VT'ers time but  ... Tommy Craig for me. Saunders chased him for ages and he just never came off. Think we got him from Newcastle.

Yeah, my dad used to call him the useless ginger midget

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2019 at 15:19, 8pints said:

I remember hearing a lot about DJ around the time Houllier got sick and for some time after. The report was usually that he was performing at his level at the time.

I suppose he had to compete with the likes of Albrighton, Delph, Gardner, Bannan, Clark and Baker etc. as you only play so many youth, especially as the onset of our demise came.

• Like 1

Â