Players that never lived up to the promise

Keyblade

Curtis Davies. I felt he had promise and maybe we should have invested more time and effort in him and we would have been a lot better off in the long run instead of signing shite after shite.

Seems a top lad too and I have been very impressed with him whenever I have seen him interviewed.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I actually we ground Lambert down. He came full of fresh ideas and wanting exciting play.

He left with us playing 9 men behind the ball, passing it sideways at walking pace.

It was sort of untransformation if there is such a thing/word 

I love the word untransformation. 

Compare this to smith, who clearly is going to play he wants regardless. 

On 06/12/2018 at 03:34, Michael118 said:

Agreed, I thought he showed tonnes of potential but was also sold to Bolton to fund the recruitment of Curtis Davies.

My list of our most overrated players: Fabian Delph, Curtis Davies, Darius Vassell (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Olof Mellberg (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Jordan Veretout, Jordan Ayew, Rudy Gestede, Stewart Downing, Stephen Ireland, Jermaine Jenas, Luke Moore, Henri Lansbury, Glenn Whelan, Albert Adomah, James Chester, Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham.

I thought we sold him, and bought Zat Knight for the same money?

God MON was an idiot.

• Like 1

Ah man so many....most of which people have mentioned already, in particular Hadgi, Kachloul and Baros different times but I was exited to see them sign. 

Steve Sidwell, Steve Warnock, Nicky Shorey and I’m gonna throw it out there Stiliyan Petrov, he did a job for us in the end but he didn’t turn out to be the player we were expecting from Celtic let’s be honest. 

Oh and djemba djemba... although aside from that charity shield game never shown promise at utd, but at the time I thought Alex seen something in him he is gonna be mint for us... how I was wrong. 

Edited by Jimmyg

1 hour ago, Jimmyg said:

I’m gonna throw it out there Stiliyan Petrov, he did a job for us in the end but he didn’t turn out to be the player we were expecting from Celtic let’s be honest. 

No, not the goal-scoring midfielder we thought we'd signed... but he developed into a brilliant holding midfielder, and he read the game better than anyone we've had since McGrath.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

Alun “ chubby” Evans.

He had the big transfer before from Wolves (I think) to Liverpool and failed there.

Ron thought he might be able to do something with him, but it didnt work out.  (I think my Source is Ron Saunders Scrapbook :)

Ok I will get bricks thrown at me but Player that failed to live up to the promise:

To me and he was my hero as a Kid 

Gary Shaw - He won League Title scoring 18 goals in 81, followed up by Winning the European Cup in 82 and being The European Young Player of the Year (Or was it the Tournament).  Sadly got a really bad knee injury and was never the same again. If he had stayed fit I think a certain Mr Lineker would have received a lot less England Caps.

Gary Williams and Colin Gibson -  Young players who were part of the Success of early 80s but fizzled out.

Adrian Heath - Though it was a brilliant move at the time by Taylor

Vassell - Look like the youth team had produced a gem but never seemed to kick on after being called up by England.

The entire Youth Team that won that European Tournament - None really broke through for Villa.

Collymore - But lets be honest we knew trouble was a coming

Gabby - His numbers are not too bad but see Vassell, called up by England and then nothing of note.

Bent - Good Start then through Injury and falling out with Managers.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

No no no. That was the Cahill money! 

Yh, that’s what I was saying.

Cahill was sold to fund Knight.

Michael118 thought it was to find Davies.

14 hours ago, Jimmyg said:

Ah man so many....most of which people have mentioned already, in particular Hadgi, Kachloul and Baros different times but I was exited to see them sign. 

Steve Sidwell, Steve Warnock, Nicky Shorey and I’m gonna throw it out there Stiliyan Petrov, he did a job for us in the end but he didn’t turn out to be the player we were expecting from Celtic let’s be honest. 

Oh and djemba djemba... although aside from that charity shield game never shown promise at utd, but at the time I thought Alex seen something in him he is gonna be mint for us... how I was wrong. 

The thing with Petrov is that we got an exceptional player, just not in the role many of us expected him to play in.

Having said that, i remember his debut for Villa was against West Ham away. He got through on a 1-1 and deftly chipped the keeper, rolling away to celebrate only to see a defender heroically clear it off the line. I've always thought that if that had gone in, he'd of got his confidence and we would have had a completely different player on our hands. Small margins and all that.

As an eight year old Gladiators fan I had high expectations, especially with his Claret boots AWOOGA!

Image result for john fashanu aston villa

Look at him there in my favourite ever away kit as well just to rub it in.

And of course my two recent ones who hurt me deep.

Image result for bacuna gifImage result for leandro bacuna aston villaImage result for adama traore aston villa gifImage result for adama traore aston villa

Edited by 8pints
Incidentally, look at Grealish there with the Adama one, loving his work

Darren Byfield - I thought he looked a real prospect, quick, skifull seemed to have a good career ahead of him.

I remember him starting against Stromgodset years ago - we were dire and he got hauled off for Vassell who scored two poxy goals and that was the end for Byfield.

Shame in lots of ways as he was technically so much more gifted than Vassell.

i guess this is football ?

On 06/12/2018 at 03:34, Michael118 said:

Agreed, I thought he showed tonnes of potential but was also sold to Bolton to fund the recruitment of Curtis Davies.

My list of our most overrated players: Fabian Delph, Curtis Davies, Darius Vassell (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Olof Mellberg (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Jordan Veretout, Jordan Ayew, Rudy Gestede, Stewart Downing, Stephen Ireland, Jermaine Jenas, Luke Moore, Henri Lansbury, Glenn Whelan, Albert Adomah, James Chester, Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham.

Necromancy but... This guy 😂

• Haha 3

Â