Players that never lived up to the promise

Keyblade

People think Angel was a flop and to be fair he was branded that for much of his early career but he did really well towards the end, almost 50/50 - but does that mean he didn't fulfil his potential because half his time at Villa was terrible?

Gabby was decent for large spells of his time at Villa but most rightfully remember the end of his career and that tarnishes our memory of him.

4 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

People think Angel was a flop and to be fair he was branded that for much of his early career but he did really well towards the end, almost 50/50 - but does that mean he didn't fulfil his potential because half his time at Villa was terrible?

Gabby was decent for large spells of his time at Villa but most rightfully remember the end of his career and that tarnishes our memory of him.

The 1st season under DOL he was unplayable and we played a game that got best out of him. Sadly other seasons we never really did that. He liked ball into feet around the box and we struggled to do that. Also brilliant with his head for a guy that wasnt so tall

He had 2 really bad seasons, one under Taylor and the other when he just signed. his last season under MON I thought he played quite well with pacy players around him in Luke Moore and Gabby but his legs had gone but his passing was good

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He's one of those players who, because he left us the way he did, people like to pretend he wasn't very good.

He was excellent for us.

My view on Delph has been consistent from the beginning. The manner in which he left just shed further light on his lack of leadership ability which I was already fully aware of.

22 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's a big list.

I've bolded the players who went on to have a stellar career after leaving us.

Albrighton's done well for himself at Leicester. Agree with your sentiment but think maybe Marc should've been highlighted to.

Edited by Rds1983
Further detail

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Albrighton's done well for himself at Leicester. Agree with your sentiment but think maybe Marc should've been highlighted to.

I was pretty close to putting him in bold. He's done well at Leicester.  He's never got close to an international call-up, though, and his goals record there is worse than it was here.

Cahill is the only one who has really had a remarkable career so far.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2018 at 02:09, sheepyvillian said:

I was going to mention him but then I remembered a great free-kick he scored .

Andy Blair never quite lived up to his potential, I'm sure he was signed by Saunders.

I think he made his debut in the 81 charity shield so I think this probably makes you right 

On 05/12/2018 at 23:26, VillanousOne said:

Nicklas Helenius, got his shorts pulled down, got some kind of illness, got depressed, got no help from anyone at the club (apparently) and was never heard of again.

Mathieu Berson, when we craved a bit of international class in midfield we got this bloke who O'Leary eventually bombed out.

Alpay - good defender who tangled with Beckham in a national game and was never seen again.

Gary Charles and Tommy Johnson...

Curtis Davies, great on loan, dire when we signed him.

Zat Night - well ok we didn't expect much but he did score against the scum (i think).

Every player we ever signed from Coventry (at least from the 90s onwards).

It never ends..

Ah yes Berson, he played a few games and looked neat and tidy but seemed to have issues settling from memory. Don't know if he did much when he went back to France. Another example of a long drawn out transfer saga not doing an o.k player any favours as fanbase always seem to think they'll be Messi when they eventually sign. Baros was another example of this.

A few of these players were badly affected by injury. Alpay was great first 18 months and then got an injury and then his good performance in the World cup went to his head a fair bit and he didn't want to be here anymore.

Gary Charles was excellent in 95/96 and then had a horrible league break and didn't return until 1997. Hope he's over his recent off the field drink issues.

Tommy Johnson was a good squad player, shouldn't be in this thread.

Knight and Davies were awful without the leadership of Laursen alongside them so they pretty much met my expectations as I didn't rate either much in the first place.

Good call on the Coventry players. Hadji was really good for them so was excited when we signed him yet he hardly did anything, same for Kachoul who was solid for Southampton.

Of the intake since we've been down here I'd say Lansbury. Always felt he was a good player at Forest and we didn't waste an obsence amount on him like we did with someone like McCormack but it just hasn't happened for him although I do think DS style should suit his game more when he gets fit again.

So many times in last year I've forgot he still plays for us.

Never saw it myself but Nigel Reo-Coker was always woefully overhyped. He was captain of West Ham at about 21 and he was always touted as England potential. Not sure he ever got near the squad

Didnt help his manager described him as Makelele with legs

On 09/12/2018 at 08:32, New_Hope said:

Jordan Veretout 

Whenever I think of Veretout I remember we apparently signed him ahead of Leicester and although he's doing pretty well at Fiorentina now, I feel really bad for him that he came to dumpster fire Aston Villa and missed out on going down in footballing folklore with that Leicester side.

12 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Whenever I think of Veretout I remember we apparently signed him ahead of Leicester and although he's doing pretty well at Fiorentina now, I feel really bad for him that he came to dumpster fire Aston Villa and missed out on going down in footballing folklore with that Leicester side.

But going by his Villa form in this league he might have struggled get in that team ahead of Drinkwater

On 06/12/2018 at 14:04, Michael118 said:

Agreed, I thought he showed tonnes of potential but was also sold to Bolton to fund the recruitment of Curtis Davies.

My list of our most overrated players: Fabian Delph, Curtis Davies, Darius Vassell (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Olof Mellberg (only saw the last few seasons of his career), Jordan Veretout, Jordan Ayew, Rudy Gestede, Stewart Downing, Stephen Ireland, Jermaine Jenas, Luke Moore, Henri Lansbury, Glenn Whelan, Albert Adomah, James Chester, Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham.

Â