Villa FA Cup 3rd Round Draw

andykeenan

39 minutes ago, Rodders said:

100% this. **** the naysayers, let's enjoy winning wherever we can

Would much prefer concentrating on promotion and save our legs.

OF course if our guys feel fit enough and up to it then don't see why we could do a league and cup run.

I'm just concerned about injurys, injury that we don't want or need because our talent is needed for a direct assault on the championship, a title that I would much rather be able to say we won.

Just now, 1974Centenary said:

Look at it like this ,a good cup run generates income, to be able to buy players you need that income to satisfy the FFP regulations.

Yes I spose you are rite and money coming in from all directions is always worth it to appease this FFP. I do think though that we are not nearly as bad with FFP as some may think.

There would only be one way to test how good we are with FFP and that's to buy the loaners we have.

Whats the winners purse these days for an FA cup victory and lifting the cup??

i dont think cups are ever pointless and hate the who cares we need to focus on promotion guff, the bruce cup performances were embarrassing at times and he got away with murder, make a couple of changes (the obvious ones being o'hare, wouldnt mind seeing davis back) dont risk players who arent 100% but still go for it

i wouldnt care if we were 10 points clear at the top of the league the performances vs burton and yeovil should never be acceptable 

• Like 1

The FA Cup is I'm afraid a distraction as far as I'm concerned, we won't win it so I don't much care if we go out in the 3rd, 4th or whatever round.

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather we didn't have the games and could focus on the league.

Sad but true.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The FA Cup is I'm afraid a distraction as far as I'm concerned, we won't win it so I don't much care if we go out in the 3rd, 4th or whatever round.

As far as I'm concerned I'd rather we didn't have the games and could focus on the league.

Sad but true.

We won’t win the Premier League either so why bother trying to get there?

When/if we’re in the Premier League we won’t win the Champions League so why bother trying to get top 4?

Oh, we’ll get more money for those. A sad indictment on the attitudes to modern sport if ever there was. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

When/if we’re in the Premier League we won’t win the Champions League so why bother trying to get top 4?

Oh, we’ll get more money for those. A sad indictment on the attitudes to modern sport if ever there was. 

The FA cup is a crazy run, always has been, you got lower league teams desperate to beat the pants of premiere sides, while championship sides care more for promotion to the premier. It's a different attitude amongst all the leagues in the FA cup. One thing is while were doing well at the moment why even risk it with our main team, knowing a few bad injurys to our star players could really be the end of our promotion challange. Were struggling for defenders as is and a keeper thats just finding it tough in the championship, what if they get injured bad.

I don't want to risk it, it's a complete different tone too: I don't see the FA cup worth it.

If Smith can bring more defenders in, new keeper by the time the cups well under way then yeah I dont mind so long as we can remain injury free, but i doubt thats possible. I bet any money some serious i jury Will happen to someone like Mcginn, Grealish, Hutton, Nyland, Tuanzebe, Bolasie and so on.

If were going to do the FA cup play the players that arnt getting time in the first team and not getting on the bench, maybe we can get some of these guys really pulling some great performances off.

2 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

What a strange comparison

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What a strange comparison

Maybe, but it makes sense in my own head. Look, I agree with many of the points that @Dave-R made above, with the one condition that winning is important. If that can be done with fringe players, great! But I find the whole ‘the cup is a distraction’, ‘concentrate on the league’ stuff a load of old donkey balls. 

If I went into my office and told people ‘Look, I know you’re working on that big contract for our biggest client but I want a couple of the trainees to cobble together something for this new smaller client. Doesn’t really matter if they f it up so long as we get that big contract right’. What would that say about me as a manager? What would it say about the company?

All that...plus I haven’t forgotten what a rip roaring success concentrating on the league was after the MON’s Mission to Moscow! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

While I see the point you are trying to make, with respect I think that's a pretty weak argument.

No we won't win the PL either but don't pretend you don't know the value of us being in it to support your view.

Promotion would bring in around £100m from TV revenue in year 1 alone, then you have increased ticket prices and sales, increased match day revenue and commercial income. Currently our annual income is lower than the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth for blandys sake.

The club has lost money every year for 12 years straight and we are only solvent because of a succession of owners who have been willing to fund us to the tune of millions each year. There is much to be critical of with Lerner and Xia but both lost an absolute fortune bankrolling the club (and their own mistakes) and our new owners are still bank rolling us. But if you or anyone else thinks these two are going to do it year after year or lose a couple of hundred million in the process I think you are very very wrong.

I'm not sure people still realise just how close we came from going into administration, a points deduction, a fire sale and ultimately relegation this summer. We were in very serious trouble.

We can't go on like that, we have to move forward as a club financially. That either means accessing the wealth of the PL or cutting our cloth accordingly in the Championship, which we've not done so far by any stretch of the imagination.

So your "we won't win the Premier League either so why bother trying to get there" is a pretty flawed argument as is the Champions League one that follows it.

Yes its a sad truth of the modern game that football is dominated by money, I don't like it either but it is a reality. We need to generate it to help us move forward as a club and attract better players.

An FA Cup run, though it pains me to say it wouldn't help us achieve our primary goal, I'd argue it could hinder it.

I'm sure someone will say look at Wigan and Pompey who won it and they'd have a point, just as I could say look at Leicester re your point about not winning the PL. The truth is both are extremely unlikely.

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted us to win the FA Cup for 30 years, nothing would be better than a Villa man like Smith winning it but right now, in our 3rd season in the Championship chasing promotion for me is the absolute priority.

I accept not all will share that view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Maybe, but it makes sense in my own head. Look, I agree with many of the points that @Dave-R made above, with the one condition that winning is important. If that can be done with fringe players, great! But I find the whole ‘the cup is a distraction’, ‘concentrate on the league’ stuff a load of old donkey balls. 

If I went into my office and told people ‘Look, I know you’re working on that big contract for our biggest client but I want a couple of the trainees to cobble together something for this new smaller client. Doesn’t really matter if they f it up so long as we get that big contract right’. What would that say about me as a manager? What would it say about the company?

All that...plus I haven’t forgotten what a rip roaring success concentrating on the league was after the MON’s Mission to Moscow! 

What @trent said. There are benefits to being in premier league compared to winning a fa cup in the championship. 

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

While I see the point you are trying to make, with respect I think that's a pretty weak argument.

No we won't win the PL either but don't pretend you don't know the value of us being in it to support your view.

Promotion would bring in around £100m from TV revenue in year 1 alone, then you have increased ticket prices and sales, increased match day revenue and commercial income. Currently our annual income is lower than the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth for blandys sake.

The club has lost money every year for 12 years straight and we are only solvent because of a succession of owners who have been willing to fund us to the tune of millions each year. There is much to be critical of with Lerner and Xia but both lost an absolute fortune bankrolling the club (and their own mistakes) and our new owners are still bank rolling us. But if you or anyone else thinks these two are going to do it year after year or lose a couple of hundred million in the process I think you are very very wrong.

I'm not sure people still realise just how close we came from going into administration, a points deduction, a fire sale and ultimately relegation this summer. We were in very serious trouble.

We can't go on like that, we have to move forward as a club financially. That either means accessing the wealth of the PL or cutting our cloth accordingly in the Championship, which we've not done so far by any stretch of the imagination.

So your "we won't win the Premier League either so why bother trying to get there" is a pretty flawed argument as is the Champions League one that follows it.

Yes its a sad truth of the modern game that football is dominated by money, I don't like it either but it is a reality. We need to generate it to help us move forward as a club and attract better players.

An FA Cup run, though it pains me to say it wouldn't help us achieve our primary goal, I'd argue it could hinder it.

I'm sure someone will say look at Wigan and Pompey who won it and they'd have a point, just as I could say look at Leicester re your point about not winning the PL. The truth is both are extremely unlikely.

Don't get me wrong, I've wanted us to win the FA Cup for 30 years, nothing would be better than a Villa man like Smith winning it but right now, in our 3rd season in the Championship chasing promotion for me is the absolute priority.

I accept not all will share that view.

100% - we need to get out of this league and the longer we're in this cup the less chance we have. once our league status is sorted in the prem, yeah 100% we need to have a go...mid table prem teams have nothing except a possible cup run that's why it really surprises me when the likes of bournemouth play their kids and inevitably go out. id be furious...they aint gonna win the league and they aint going down, so give the fans a cup run

Â