Paris, 50 years on

peterms

On 07/12/2018 at 23:38, peterms said:

Well, the point has been made by many that when lesser demos were happening in North African countries, or half a dozen people were complaining in Iran, it was celebrated as a popular democratic uprising,  but the narrative here is decidedly different.

Is that because the situations are decidedly different?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Interesting priorities and judgements by our media.

A couple of hundred students in Iran avoiding stepping on a US flag gets good coverage.  Meanwhile in France, we are now in I think week 63 of weekly protests, and day 51 of a national strike in which as well as more common occupations, we have seen lawyers, ballet dancers and opera singers on strike, doing pretty photogenic protests which you would imagine a news editor or picture editor would love.

But there seems to be very little coverage.

Very strange.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, peterms said:

Interesting priorities and judgements by our media.

A couple of hundred students in Iran avoiding stepping on a US flag gets good coverage.  Meanwhile in France, we are now in I think week 63 of weekly protests, and day 51 of a national strike in which as well as more common occupations, we have seen lawyers, ballet dancers and opera singers on strike, doing pretty photogenic protests which you would imagine a news editor or picture editor would love.

But there seems to be very little coverage.

Very strange.

For the French, going on strike and demonstrating is a pastime, it's something they excel at.

They would be World Champions every year if such a thing existed

Thats why it isn't news

1 minute ago, bickster said:

For the French, going on strike and demonstrating is a pastime, it's something they excel at.

They would be World Champions every year if such a thing existed

Thats why it isn't news

Like me, you must have seen many stories in our media down the years about strikes in France.  In fact, that's why the stereotype you mention exists here.

This time is different.

24 minutes ago, peterms said:

This time is different

Yes they aren't live roasting sheep in the middle of the street

The only times I ever remember "French protests" as a news item here, they were protestinhg against the UK doing something and it was usually the farmers

Tbh the mdia here could easily cover these stories with a see, "glad we're out angle", i think it's more likely they just don't see anyone wanting to read about it, they covered the yellow vests lots early on, but I think the British public got jaundiced (soz) with these stories quite quickly

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, peterms said:

In fact, that's why the stereotype you mention exists here.

Nah, that really isn't why the stereotype exists, you just want it to be

As someone who has been caught up in many French stikes over the years and had his travel disrupted as a result, let me tell you, it is not a media driven stereotype, for lots of people its personal experience driven

OH yes, when it wasn't sheep farmers striking it was Air Traffic Controllers, thats the other time it hits the news because it affects British people

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Nah, that really isn't why the stereotype exists, you just want it to be

As someone who has been caught up in many French stikes over the years and had his travel disrupted as a result, let me tell you, it is not a media driven stereotype, for lots of people its personal experience driven

OH yes, when it wasn't sheep farmers striking it was Air Traffic Controllers, thats the other time it hits the news because it affects British people

It's a massive social issue in France, and it's not being reported here.  The reason for that doesn't seem to be based on news values.

In the comparison with the way a tiny and transient protest in Iran was covered, the issue is laid bare.  The Iran protest involving a couple of hundred people for an hour or so, had absolutely no impact on or relevance to British people.  So the motive for coverage is not how far it affects Brits.  It was covered because doing so furthers the agenda which the UK media have been assiduously following, and not for the reasons which their profession would claim as guiding values.

Pour ne pas encourager les autres, perhaps.  Don't want to give the peasants ideas.  Similar motives were in play when the French revolution happened, I gather.  You forgot the fishing boats, that was another one. 

It's useful to compare what gets reported, with what doesn't get reported, and enquire what drives editorial decisions in both instances.  Unless it's a very personal agenda about "my child missed pony school because of these cruel protests delaying the ferry/plane", then it will either be professional judgement, or else political judgement.  In this instance, it's plainly the second.  Which is interesting.

• Like 1

Sorry Peter but you always see everything as a conspiracy

Its much simpler, the French are revolting, no-one's bothered, they've been doing it since ... ah who cares, Iran on the other hand is a hot topic right now. One of them sells papers, the other doesn't. It's really that simple

• Like 1

VT loves a good copy and paste from twitter ... yet doesn’t seem that interested with the old French strikes thing... thus for the first time ever , I have to say   “Bicks is right “

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Sorry Peter but you always see everything as a conspiracy

Its much simpler, the French are revolting, no-one's bothered, they've been doing it since ... ah who cares, Iran on the other hand is a hot topic right now. One of them sells papers, the other doesn't. It's really that simple

Having seen some of your other posts, I'm inclined to think you might actually believe that, and yet have the capacity to understand you're being lied to.  Weird.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, peterms said:

and yet have the capacity to understand you're being lied to

So not telling me something is a lie now? Which one is it, the stories are there but are lying or they just aren't reporting it, which one is it, make your mind up

I actually think I have the capacity to determine wether the conspiracy theory is true or not. BBC biased - yes, true. French Strikes not in the media eye - because it's boring to the average Joe, nothing to see here

What you're saying isn't even true anyway, the media is still covering the French Strikes a bit, there was a story the other week when the ballet went on strike and they performed on the picket line.

They covered that because it was a bit different, a new angle but the truth really is that news stories have a life span and the situation in France has gone well past it's yawn by date. The reality is that for most people in the UK, it just isn't that interesting whereas the Iran situation might just start WW3.5 so people have an interest.

It really isn't the big conspiracy you appear to think it is. The public really isn't interested in that any more and in this day and age, all the papers will have website data to show them this. IIn the pre-internet age, they were guessing by and large, now they know.

This isn't a story getting buried, there was lots of coverage at the start, it's a story that's become boring to the general public

Â