Pre-match thread

Tomaszk

This won't be easy, but after watching Derby comprehensively beat them on Sky we should be going there full of confidence and really taking the game to them, which going by recent Smith performances is exactly what we will do. 

I will be watching them tonight with interest  

• Like 2

Hope we smash these gobby clearings in the woods. They are a good team at this level, but we are on fire at the minute. They will be fearing us more so than we are them. Got stoke then Leeds at home who I’m confident we can do a job on at home. 

Our away form has been superb under Smith, especially the last 3: QPR, Derby & Boro- we have dominated. WBA will be a much sterner test but how can we not go into this full of confidence. The chances we are creating and football we have started playing is what we have all been wanting for years. Aston Villa have an identity finally and it means we look to win every game, containment is a thing of the past. Even if we go 2-0 down it feels like we'll still come back and thats a great feeling to have.

Lots of goals again I think: 3-2 Villa.

• Like 1

I wouldn't change a thing for this one:

Nyland

Elmo Tuanzebe Chester Taylor

Hourihane

El Ghazi McGinn Grealish Bolasie

Abraham

Bench: Bunn, Hutton, Jedinak, Whelan, Adomah, Kodjia, Hogan

Gutted it's my works Christmas night out on Friday at the Hilton, will be following on my Sky Go app. The way we have took apart Derby & Middlesbrough gives me confidence we can win this as well.

It's a strange feeling to be looking forward to games again.  

Edited by Hitzlsperger_12

9 hours ago, avfc456 said:

This won't be easy, but after watching Derby comprehensively beat them on Sky we should be going there full of confidence and really taking the game to them, which going by recent Smith performances is exactly what we will do. 

I will be watching them tonight with interest  

I think this is it.....We have seen DS's philosophy, he won't change.....I think it will only get better, in detail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hard game be hapoy with a point. 

I don't think we can be anymore.....the bar has been set.

in truth every game is hard

We dispatched the Blues by 2 clear goals, scoring 4 and they are keeping clean sheets for fun, just like Boro.

but, we have given ourselves a wonderful chance to win games now.

8 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Our away form has been superb under Smith, especially the last 3: QPR, Derby & Boro- we have dominated. WBA will be a much sterner test but how can we not go into this full of confidence. The chances we are creating and football we have started playing is what we have all been wanting for years. Aston Villa have an identity finally and it means we look to win every game, containment is a thing of the past. Even if we go 2-0 down it feels like we'll still come back and thats a great feeling to have.

Lots of goals again I think: 3-2 Villa.

I think Derby and Boro was equally as difficult....games don't become easier because you comprehensively dismantle them.

Blues was a very difficult game IMO before we played it.

We are just playing that well, it makes it feel like a game is difficult before we play it and then easy after we have and won.

We have just hit a rich vein of form, hoping we continue it....consistency is key.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Think we will lose this one.

WBA is a decent side and if our lads  are feeling a bit cocky about the recent results and performances we might get a reality check.

2-1

I think in DS, JT & ROK......there is too much professionalism to allow that.

The spirit in the team is really high and together.

but pardon the pun " you wouldn't bet against us right now"

One of the significant things Dean Smith mentioned in his interviews is making teams fear us.....I think he is doing that and it can affect how a team approaches us...its a huge advantage to have, an opponent fear you.

Edited by TRO

They should be out of sight. Not sure if it’s poor finishing or lucky Brentford - a bit of both I guess.  We give them those chances, Sod’s law says they score at least once.  

The Baggies don’t seem to have that high a tempo to their game though, but that Barnes lad looks half decent. 

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Tough ask to go away to another top side looking for the win, if we can do it then other sides will really start fearing us.

Think that fear has already started.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, villatillidie1980 said:

They should be out of sight. Not sure if it’s poor finishing or lucky Brentford - a bit of both I guess.  We give them those chances, Sod’s law says they score at least once.  

The Baggies don’t seem to have that high a tempo to their game though, but that Barnes lad looks half decent. 

Not watching tonight but whenever I’ve seen them they’ve tried to play it out from their CB’s who make Chester look like Mathias Sammer! 

It will be interesting to see if we press their CB’s early and try and force errors or if we allow them the ball and cut off their options and try to pick them off that way. Smith’s red hot on this sort of thing so will be interested to see how he approaches it.

Smith and his staff are all at the game this evening I believe.