Tomaszk

22 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

So... I think we should line up:

Nyland

Elmo    Tuanzebe     Chester     Taylor

El Ghazi   Hourihane   McGinn   Bolasie

Grealish       

Tammy

I think that’s a strong side, with a couple of comments; Elmo wasn’t great against Boro but I think deserves to keep his place at RB even with Hutton returning from suspension, Hourihane also wasn’t great for large spells,  but again he’s shown enough quality before to keep his place, and Nyland... well, we’re stuck with him until Jan.

Yeah, I'd go with that, too. 

If the back five can keep their concentration, that front six is lethal. 

This brings back some old memories - Long long time since I was at their ground

We were playing our home UEFA games there as our pitch was being dug up. 

All the Villa fans singing "My garden shed is bigger than this, Its got a door and a Window, my garden   shed is bigger than this"

I am sure there was 8 bookings, 3 sent off and the ref lost it, bringing the team off at 90 mins. Then had to bring them back on for injury time. 

Any other oldies remember when that was, who we were playing and what was the score ???

• Like 1

I'd bring Hutton in for Taylor. Sick of him getting caught on the ball.

Also worried about Hourihane and Chester losing possession in dangerous areas.

Going forward, Bolasie will roast the lad from man city time after time. Could do with scoring early to open them up more.

Edited by Tomaszk

9 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

All the Villa fans singing "My garden shed is bigger than this, Its got a door and a Window, my garden   shed is bigger than this"

I am sure there was 8 bookings, 3 sent off and the ref lost it, bringing the team off at 90 mins. Then had to bring them back on for injury time. 

Any other oldies remember when that was, who we were playing and what was the score ???

I think it was on Channel 4 or 5, whichever one had recently started airing. We were on holiday in Cornwall and none of the caravans had that channel, luckily I knew the site owner who was a Villa fan, and I watched it on their house telly.

We lost to Celta Vigo 1-2, the Swiss referee was called Schoch, we had Taylor & Thompson sent off. Barry scored a penalty, Merson missed one.

Ten yellow cards, three red. Seven yellows for the dirty Spaniards. And a red.

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Fatigue is overrated. These are professional footballers, they are fit to play alot of games.

The fatigue thing is only used by some managers as an excuse.

16 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

No it’s just dismissed by fans who don’t like the idea of players getting tired or jaded.

Players stats are measured, players tire, they sprint less, cover less distances. It’s not just an excuse from managers although at times it can be, it’s a real factor in the game however much some want to believe it isn’t.

Absolutely.

I think it's also misunderstood by most fans.

When players are "tired" or "fatigued", it doesn't mean they are physically unable to play a football match. It's not like they're going to collapse and die after 60 minutes. These players could play a game every day if they needed to.

It just means they're more tired than other players might be.

At the top level, if your players are operating at 70% of their normal energy levels and the opposition are operating at 100% or close to it, then you have a huge disadvantage.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I vaguely remember we played there back in 2000 or 2001 in a Europe game. I was 15 but I think that was right (I didn’t go though). Was that the game or was it longer ago than that?

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I vaguely remember we played there back in 2000 or 2001 in a Europe game. I was 15 but I think that was right (I didn’t go though). Was that the game or was it longer ago than that?

It was the one. 2nd August 2000.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I think it was on Channel 4 or 5, whichever one had recently started airing. We were on holiday in Cornwall and none of the caravans had that channel, luckily I knew the site owner who was a Villa fan, and I watched it on their house telly.

We lost to Celta Vigo 1-2, the Swiss referee was called Schoch, we had Taylor & Thompson sent off. Barry scored a penalty, Merson missed one.

Ten yellow cards, three red. Seven yellows for the dirty Spaniards. And a red.

I was only 13 and I'd completely forgotten all this (even that it was at the Hawthorns) but for some reason I can remember the ref blowing for full time in about the 87th minute. I still don't understand how you could accidentally do that.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely.

I think it's also misunderstood by most fans.

When players are "tired" or "fatigued", it doesn't mean they are physically unable to play a football match. It's not like they're going to collapse and die after 60 minutes. These players could play a game every day if they needed to.

It just means they're more tired than other players might be.

At the top level, if your players are operating at 70% of their normal energy levels and the opposition are operating at 100% or close to it, then you have a huge disadvantage.

Yep, marginal gains. Working on 1 and 2 percent improvements is what has turned Britain's cyclists into world beaters. At the top level of any sport, even very narrow differences can be critical. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Nyland

Grealish       

Tammy

I think that’s a strong side, with a couple of comments; Elmo wasn’t great against Boro but I think deserves to keep his place at RB even with Hutton returning from suspension, Hourihane also wasn’t great for large spells,  but again he’s shown enough quality before to keep his place, and Nyland... well, we’re stuck with him until Jan.

This would be my side too, Kodjia is a great option off the bench 

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Nyland

Grealish       

Tammy

I agree with one exception for this game, I would go with Whelan to start and bring Hourihane on later.

We are away and we need to be aware of the pace and threat of Barnes/Phillips the 2 CB's need some protection for a spell, particularly on the counter.

I am not advocating a game of containment, we are doing alright as we are, but we can have a tendency to be overrun in the early stages of a game....we have to avoid that and we cannot afford for midfielders to be "standing off" as we are getting warmed up.

A little bit of insurance in this game for me....even if its just for a half.

• Like 2

Barnes, Phillips, Gayle and Rodriguez are very dangerous, i can't see us keeping them out. They are also pretty good at set pieces.

However, they are slow at the back and in midfield (Phillips aside), so hopefully our attacking threat outweighs theirs

26 minutes ago, andym said:

Barnes, Phillips, Gayle and Rodriguez are very dangerous, i can't see us keeping them out. They are also pretty good at set pieces.

However, they are slow at the back and in midfield (Phillips aside), so hopefully our attacking threat outweighs theirs

i suppose slow doesnt matter too much if they are sitting fairly deep and hitting us on the break like they did vs Leeds?

2 hours ago, Hev said:

Whilst it is nice to feel confident, I wish some of the Villa Fans would stop being so arrogant and cocky about it.  Some of those on WM are just behaving like the Wolves fans last season.  I am hoping that we aren't jinxing this. 

Can only echo this, we have nothing to be cocky about, we’ve done nothing yet

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, marginal gains. Working on 1 and 2 percent improvements is what has turned Britain's cyclists into world beaters. At the top level of any sport, even very narrow differences can be critical. 

That and special rounder wheels! 

• Like 1