2019 Holiday Plans

Xela

On 21/12/2018 at 15:39, tonyh29 said:

I'll remind you nearer the time but get your train pass in the Uk before you travel to Japan  , assuming you plan on doing some multi city exploring by  train

yep, buy your train ticket here and then activate it over there, if you buy the 7 day rail pass you dont have to use it on day 1, if you land in tokyo and spend 3/4 days there you activate it the day you leave, if you have any time left on it im sure you can use it to travel around on the tokyo metro too, definitely get suika cards too, like an oyster card but you can use them everywhere

it takes a fair bit of planning but you can do japan fairly "cheap" 14 days there was half of what 14 days in canada cost me

and definitely go to kyoto, if you like history and old japan its amazing, my favourite place there (did tokyo, kyoto, hiroshima, osaka then back to tokyo)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep, buy your train ticket here and then activate it over there, if you buy the 7 day rail pass you dont have to use it on day 1, if you land in tokyo and spend 3/4 days there you activate it the day you leave, if you have any time left on it im sure you can use it to travel around on the tokyo metro too, definitely get suika cards too, like an oyster card but you can use them everywhere

it takes a fair bit of planning but you can do japan fairly "cheap" 14 days there was half of what 14 days in canada cost me

and definitely go to kyoto, if you like history and old japan its amazing, my favourite place there (did tokyo, kyoto, hiroshima, osaka then back to tokyo)

Thanks! (and @tonyh29 as always!)

Will definitely take some planning but we'd really like to do it. I guess the issue is outside of Tokyo I have no idea where the best places to go are (noted on Kyoto!). So will have to do some research.

I'll start a thread soon to avoid clogging this one up.

Edited by Stevo985

Disney Paris with 4 year old (last year he's free muahaha) and a 2 month old.. going on the Eurostar so it's more manageable. - July

Vegas in Nov - booked

My mate is hitting 40 - Vegas was his choice, so we booked, then he said it was too expensive, so we're still going, but he's suggested Madrid, so might get a 3 day break over there. 

With a new born, I think I'll have done well with those this year. 

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's a bit of a dick move really isn't it?

Sorry, I've probably not written that down right.

He suggested it, we agreed, when we found the prices and said about it, he then said it was probably too much and that Madrid would be better.  It was after this, wife and I said "let's go anyway". 

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Sorry, I've probably not written that down right.

He suggested it, we agreed, when we found the prices and said about it, he then said it was probably too much and that Madrid would be better.  It was after this, wife and I said "let's go anyway". 

Fair enough (by the way the dick move bit was aimed at him, not you guys!)

• Haha 1

@Stevo985

been 4 years but im pretty sure it was this website i used for planning my trip there - https://www.japan-guide.com/

got a decent forum too, theres some real simple stuff to think about like if you are flying in and out of tokyo so have 2-3 days there at the start and the end then stay in different parts of the city and plan you activities around stuff "local" to your hotel (the city really is that big)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

ive started researching norway in a camper van properly, what a horrible idea that was, cheapest i can find so far for 10 days is around £1500, started looking at a hire car and hopping around log cabins but thats not what the missus envisaged when she shouted it out, the frustrating thing was i looked at flights first and they are around £45 each return flights so it looked great

anyone ever done it? was only thinking of looping round Oslo, Bergen and stavanger 

Barcelona for a weekend beginning of Feb with mates, got our match tickets already.

Got very bored on Saturday so booked a week in Lanzorote in March. I’ve been travelling and on “adventure” holidays (with a tour group) on my own before, but never a relaxing holiday. Just thought sod it, holiday period at work runs out end of March and had days left. Gone for a decent “Adult” only hotel so hopefully get talking to some there 

Might do a dive whilst I’m there but haven’t done one for a while and was a nervous diver anyway, so may not go with a foreign speaking guide 

Still considering a big hiking trip, possibly Kili later in the year, but got a really troublesome back so not sure I’d be fit enough to do that yet

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Highly unlikely I'll get a summer holiday this year as work commitments will see me tied up between May and August (away from home too).

had been planning Orlando with the kids but that'll be next year now (and the Star wars Galaxy's edge attraction will definitely be open!) 

as a consolation prize I've booked a week in Pula, Croatia in October half term. Really looking forward to it, have no idea what to expect but have heard great things about Croatia. 

got cheap flights and airbnb accommodation for the four of us. 

Hopefully going to Lisbon in May.  Might sound weird but Portugal is one of those countries that I always forget exists, a bit like New Zealand, so when the idea popped up I thought **** it, yeah let's go.  Looks like there's lots to do and the beer seems cheap.  Not sure I'll get a proper summer holiday, more likely to get some winter sunshine in November instead.

On 17/12/2018 at 23:19, Tomaszk said:

Going San Diego, San Francisco and Miami in March.

Any knockout recommendations welcome.

If you like fish I'd recommend the Fog Harbour Fishhouse the end of Pier 39 in San Francisco.  Only went to San Diego for a day and got heat stroke but you should be ok in March.

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Going to book a city break for a few days to Paris, then the plan is to get a train over to Belgium for 2 nights before flying home.

Would people reccomend Bruges or Brussels?

Both are quite pretty without really having a Wow factor  .. I guess Brussels would give you slightly more option on what to do  + it has the Delirium bar where you can drink about 844554540 different types of beer and if it's your bag you could head out to Waterloo and visit the battle field where we spanked the French  (with a tiny tiny tiny bit of help from the rest of Europe :))

Bruges has the clock tower thingy a market , pretty old buildings and a small canal / river .. but chilling out in the main square with a beer and a plate of mussels is pleasant enough

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

On 16/01/2019 at 14:08, wilko154 said:

Going to book a city break for a few days to Paris, then the plan is to get a train over to Belgium for 2 nights before flying home.

Would people reccomend Bruges or Brussels?

I'd recommend Mons as well which is a bit closer to the French border, it's where the first battle involving the British in WWI was and has a great square with restaurants.  They even played God Save The Queen on the church bells when we went 😀

• Like 1

On 20/01/2019 at 04:39, Avcol said:

Having only been home once in the last 3 years, I'm planning a summer holiday in Birmingham 😆

Ideal destination mate. Temperatures can reach 20 degrees and the beach is just a short 3 hour drive away. You'll love it! ;) 

• Haha 1

On 20/01/2019 at 04:39, Avcol said:

Having only been home once in the last 3 years, I'm planning a summer holiday in Birmingham 😆

My commiserations. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2018 at 20:17, chicovilla said:

Will start the new year in Italy, on a roadtrip over Christmas and new year, travelling the south if Italy. Should be in Matera on New years Eve.

Will go back to Hong Kong in March, with a 10 day side trip to Bali. 

I'm walking 120km of the Camino de Santiago in May, a pilgrimage in Northern Spain finishing off in Santiago de Compostella (100km qualifies you for a completion certificate ). 

Uzbekistan in September is looking likely :)

Will end of 2019 in Myanmar all being well.

More definate plans now....

Italy was superb (as usual) over Chrismas, highlights were Matera and Alborobello, but the whole trip was superb.

Managed to sneak in a 5 day trip to Slovenia visiting some stunning places. Ljubljana, Bled Bohinj and Skofja Loka. Really beautiful country and reasonably cheap. My flights were only £20 return.

Going to Bali via HK next week, over 3 weeks, Bali being my 1st time south of equator.

Budapest booked for a long weekend early May, been before but love the place. 

Camino in Northern Spain booked, walking over 100km to Santiago de Compostella late May.

Copenhagen in August for a long weekend break. 

Havana and Cuba booked for December for 2 weeks over Christmas.

One pending trip is to get back to India for my 5th trip there. Hoping to go to udaipur, Ajmer and Pushkar in October for a photo project.

Uzbekistan will wait for next year!

• Like 1

Â