Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

This for me.

The difference they make to their side too is a big factor. Barca beating Madrid 5-1 this season shows that Barca are a very good team regardless of Messi playing, and will continue to be so. No Ronaldo and that Madrid really are way off. The same with Portugal, they don't even get out of the groups at the Euro 2016 (where 3/4 teams qualified from) without Ronaldo, yet go on to win it with him being in the top 2 for both goals and assists. Messi has always been very underwhelming once the WC/Copa get to the KO stages, and has had a number of tournaments where he hasn't shown up at all.

Ronaldo just seems to have more of that desire. Remember when they were constantly neck and neck in the CL scorers table? They pushed each other on. Now there's a lot of daylight between the 2.

They're both definitely in the top 3 players ever, for me. But Ronaldo takes that #1 spot.

For me, Messi is the better player.

You can quote all the stuff about international success and Champions League goals.

But in terms of which player plays football better, it's Messi, imo obviously

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You can quote all the stuff about international success and Champions League goals.

I struggle to see how anyone can think otherwise tbh

• Like 2

On the face of it Messi is a better pure footballer but the fact that he's played his entire career for an insanely good Barcelona side built around him with two of the best forwards in the world at any given time playing next to him makes him a bit boring to me.

I have more respect for Ronaldo for proving himself for a variety of leagues and despite probably being slightly shaded in footballing talent, his legacy is greater for mine.

Ronaldo would not have left Madrid if they paid him what he wanted.  Fell out with the chairman and that is why he went to Juve.

He is good in the air can score with both feet and is still doing it at 34 or whatever age he is.

Messi has basically one foot but is still in my opinion the greatest player I have ever seen.

Amazing both have come at the same time.  It's been a joy to watch for 10 years plus!

On 01/01/2019 at 04:04, Stevo985 said:

I think it noteworthy that Ronaldo has produced it in a variety of leagues and teams.

But when you cut to the chase, I agree with you, Messi has more going for him.

Just to clarify on the point of international performances, Messi is a WC runner-up is he not?

When did Ronaldo achieve this?

And this one's just for a bit of nostalgia for our good friend @Demitri_C Messi never lost to Greece in a Euro final on his home soil!

Remember that when you talk of international success!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I think it noteworthy that Ronaldo has produced it in a variety of leagues and teams.

But when you cut to the chase, I agree with you, Messi has more going for him.

Just to clarify on the point of international performances, Messi is a WC runner-up is he not?

When did Ronaldo achieve this?

And this one's just for a bit of nostalgia for our good friend @Demitri_C Messi never lost to Greece in a Euro final on his home soil!

Remember that when you talk of international success!

Ronaldo was 18 that day and wasnt even a star player on that team

Greece also knocked out Zidane, Vieira, Henry, Nedved, Raul, Xavi, Puyol, Xabi Alonso among other great players in that tournament

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ronaldo was 18 that day and wasnt even a star player on that team

Greece also knocked out Zidane, Vieira, Henry, Nedved, Raul, Xavi, Puyol, Xabi Alonso among other great players in that tournament

I don't think it is fair to ever say Cristiano Ronaldo was not a star player for any team he's ever represented.

I was more bringing it up because I have Greek in my blood :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got into football back in 2006 when I watched my first World Cup and every year since then, Messi & Ronaldo have consistently been in the top 2-3 best players in the world conversation.  When they finally retire it's going to be such a shock to my perception of global football.  As far back as I can remember, these two have been at the top.

20 hours ago, sne said:

So another £19m fine for tax evasion for Ronaldo in Spain.

I'm not up to date with the current standing so I'm not sure if this takes Ronaldo ahead of Messi in this particular field of their competition?

Ronaldo's leading 1-0 in rape allegations too.

linking it to the Sala i dont get, cant pin that on him on the assumption that he knew and doesnt care

the tax evasion though, on the day he handed over £19m to the government he sticks his fingers up and says a big **** you i've plenty more left

giphy.gif

not offended by it personally but yeah i can acknowledge it as a bit naughty, he has very much done that on purpose 

Â