Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Glad to see Brazilian Ronaldo and Ronaldinho getting a shout in the conversation.

Add Rivaldo to that list, between 96-2002 he was unquestionably one of the very best in the world, could do absolutely everything, a physical animal with incredible technique, vision and goal scoring ability from anywhere on the pitch, did it at the very highest level as well. 

You won't find a better hattrick than this in a really important game

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Add Rivaldo to that list, between 96-2002 he was unquestionably one of the very best in the world, could do absolutely everything, a physical animal with incredible technique, vision and goal scoring ability from anywhere on the pitch, did it at the very highest level as well. 

You won't find a better hattrick than this in a really important game

Was a game vs Liverpool in a European game and he was peppering the goal from 30/40 yards out and not in a Tonev way that the keeper was making good saves and were causing damage

Great player but the 2002 Turkey game has damaged his reputation when mentioned in elite

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was a game vs Liverpool in a European game and he was peppering the goal from 30/40 yards out and not in a Tonev way that the keeper was making good saves and were causing damage

Great player but the 2002 Turkey game has damaged his reputation when mentioned in elite

I wouldn't say so, he was one of the very best players at that tournament. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t find the stat now but Ronaldo still finishes the calendar year as Madrid’s top scorer despite playing his last game in May.

He was also 1 goal short of being Juventus top scorer for the calendar year despite not playing his first game until August.

Phenominal.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

I have always thought Messi but Ronaldo has done it at three clubs now and Messi is a one club man. He never proved himself away from his comfort zone, Barcelona. 

This argument...

If he played for a shit team then fair enough but he doesn't he plays for the biggest club in the world, why would or should he leave? Because of the "challenge"? Don't agree with that 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This argument...

If he played for a shit team then fair enough but he doesn't he plays for the biggest club in the world, why would or should he leave? Because of the "challenge"? Don't agree with that 

Yeah this.

I mean I understand the merit of Ronaldo doing it at other clubs. That is a string to his bow.

But I don't think it makes Messi worse because he hasn't done it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

This argument...

Ok the other argument is that he has been underwhelming in world cups and I'm not sure he's loved in Argentina  like Maradona.  Still think hes technically the greatest ever. The consistency of both players is quite remarkable. You think of great players from the past, few produced it for season after season for so many years. Maybe Puskus?

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

This argument...

If you don't think it's harder to 'do it' for three clubs in three different leagues that all bring their own specific challenges than it is to stay at one club that has pretty much been, from the playing side of things, designed to get the best out of you with a consistent conveyor belt of similar replacements to ensure this continues, then I really don't get your thought process on this one. 

This doesn't in itself make Ronaldo 'better' Messi, but it's an enormous feather in his cap. Ronaldo might not be the better player but his achievements in football are some way greater than Messi's IMO.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

46 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This doesn't in itself make Ronaldo 'better' Messi, but it's an enormous feather in his cap. Ronaldo might not be the better player but his achievements in football are some way greater than Messi's IMO.

This for me.

The difference they make to their side too is a big factor. Barca beating Madrid 5-1 this season shows that Barca are a very good team regardless of Messi playing, and will continue to be so. No Ronaldo and that Madrid really are way off. The same with Portugal, they don't even get out of the groups at the Euro 2016 (where 3/4 teams qualified from) without Ronaldo, yet go on to win it with him being in the top 2 for both goals and assists. Messi has always been very underwhelming once the WC/Copa get to the KO stages, and has had a number of tournaments where he hasn't shown up at all.

Ronaldo just seems to have more of that desire. Remember when they were constantly neck and neck in the CL scorers table? They pushed each other on. Now there's a lot of daylight between the 2.

They're both definitely in the top 3 players ever, for me. But Ronaldo takes that #1 spot.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â