Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

All of them players and few more would tell you how great Scholes was. He pisses all over Gerrard as a midfielder

I’m sure they could.

Doesn't change how Scholes is more appreciated now than he was when he was playing.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’m sure they could.

Doesn't change how Scholes is more appreciated now than he was when he was playing.

Its hard to say. I think when at his peak his type of midfielder wasnt common in England anyway. Recently players like Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Modric have highlighted that position in the team

• Like 1

I think i'm in the camp that Scholes is comfortably better than Gerrard (they have similar scoring exploits, apart from a season where SG scored 16 in 30 games), but Lampard is better at shots outside the box/arriving in the box.  Saying that Gerrard has probably never played in teams as good as 90s Utd, but held the captain mantle very well. 

Again, it's comparing things on very limited similarities (position, goals, appearances) - there's so many things that can never be compared, so it's just my gut feeling that Scholes was a more "complete" player than either Gerrard/Lampard.  He certainly won more than either of them.  But I think it's criminal how little he was used in the England team, if anyone should have been dropped, it's Gerrard for me (who again, was a great PL player). 

Anyway, this is way off topic, maybe we could start a PL Great players debate topic or something? 

Again, Messi is more fun to watch.  I think someone said it best when they said "he gives me more WOW moments" - excellent summary :)  

On 08/12/2018 at 21:24, villa4europe said:

messi scored his 10th free kick of 2018 tonight

not a single other club in the top 5 leagues has scored 10 free kicks this year

To add some more depth to this, Barcelona gets and Messi takes a lot more free kicks than most other clubs.   I'm using Reddit but Reddit cites stats at thesignificantgame.com which has collected stats for direct free kick success rates since the start of 2015/16.  Messi has a lot of goals but his strike rate isn't as good as other players.   Seems 8-10% scoring rate puts you in the class where you'd be considered a weapon, Messi is sitting in that bracket at 9.4%, there are players with significantly better strike rates though.  Neymar is scoring with 16.4% of his attempts,  Willian and Alonso at Chelsea are sitting at over 17% and Juan Mata is almost at 25%.   Now of course this probably just means players with higher strike rates don't shoot from free kicks unless they are pretty sure they are capable of scoring while Messi tries his luck from more improbable situations but it's worth highlighting the other side to his free kicks.  

Ronaldo, for what it's worth, is sitting at 5%, down from an average of 7% while he was at Real Madrid.  He's not scored a direct free kick for Juve yet. 

Maradona was better than Messi. However both Messi and Ronaldo  will be on a very short list of all time greats. That said, the greatest player I've ever seen is Ronaldo (Brazilian) between 96-99, had he not had the horrific injuries he sustained in Italy he would have gone on to be the very best in the history of football. In 98/99 he was maturing into a player who was just as good as a number 10 as a number 9. Stunning player, between 96-99 he was quite a lot better than Messi or Cristiano in their primes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Maradona was better than Messi. However both Messi and Ronaldo  will be on a very short list of all time greats. That said, the greatest player I've ever seen is Ronaldo (Brazilian) between 96-99, had he not had the horrific injuries he sustained in Italy he would have gone on to be the very best in the history of football. In 98/99 he was maturing into a player who was just as good as a number 10 as a number 9. Stunning player, between 96-99 he was quite a lot better than Messi or Cristiano in their primes.

Agree with the Ronaldo stuff

If he'd had the longevity that these two had then he'd be in the same bracket.

I'd probably say the same about Ronaldinho too. For a couple of years he was unbelievably good. but he didn't do it for long enough to be put into the conversation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

(who all rate him higher than Gerrard for some reason...).

I also rate him higher that both Gerrard and Lamps.

Scholes wins you leagues, Gerrard wins you big games. Take your pick

Edited by villalad21

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree with the Ronaldo stuff

If he'd had the longevity that these two had then he'd be in the same bracket.

I'd probably say the same about Ronaldinho too. For a couple of years he was unbelievably good. but he didn't do it for long enough to be put into the conversation.

Perhaps current advances in medicine would have helped him out a lot back then. Still testament that he could come back and be among the very best strikers in the world from 2001-2006 but was just such a shadow of the player he used to be, diminished pace and agility and all 'number 10' skills he was developing had pretty much gone. In 97/98 he was dropping deeper and playing defence splitting passes, really making a lot of assists and even banging in freekicks.  

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

6 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

What does Lampard win you?

Lamps was a great footballer there is no denying it. But Scholes is just more  technically gifted as a footballer.

The same reason why Messi to me is better than Ronaldo. You don't see all time greats like Zidane, Xavi and even Pep Guardiola calling out Lampard or Gerrard when talking about english footballers, it's always Scholes.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He was so good. Like a player from 25 years in the future. Completely unstoppable. Which sadly meant he got booted into next week. If he'd have appeared 10 years later he'd have been much better protected and we may have seen him at an even higher level.

What we did see wasn't "quite a lot better" than prime Messi I'm afraid. It's tight either way.

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Lamps was a great footballer there is no denying it. But Scholes is just more  technically gifted as a footballer.

The same reason why Messi to me is better than Ronaldo. You don't see all time greats like Zidane, Xavi and even Pep Guardiola calling out Lampard or Gerrard when talking about english footballers, it's always Scholes.

That’s fine.

I don’t particularly disagree with the notion that Scholes was better, I don’t know who was better.

I was pointing out (i) my Man Utd mates may have a slight bias in saying Scholes was better and (ii) Scholes’ reputation has grown since his retirement. I think some of this is a genuine appreciation of his abilities,  and some of it is people pretending to themselves that they never underrated Scholes in the first place. In my opinion.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

The Brazilian Ronaldo isn't at the same level at the Portuguese Ronaldo for me, he's more in that Zidane, Ronaldinho, Cruyff band who were incredible in their own right, but not quite where the big three are. In all honesty, I'm not sure the Brazilian Ronaldo makes my top six or seven - he might not be top ten.

For me, the two Argentinians are almost inseparable at the top of the pile - I'll give it to Maradona, because he could do it while he was off his face.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Brazilian Ronaldo isn't at the same level at the Portuguese Ronaldo for me, he's more in that Zidane, Ronaldinho, Cruyff band who were incredible in their own right, but not quite where the big three are. In all honesty, I'm not sure the Brazilian Ronaldo makes my top six or seven - he might not be top ten.

For me, the two Argentinians are almost inseparable at the top of the pile - I'll give it to Maradona, because he could do it while he was off his face.

Zidane is definitely among the very best to ever play football, top tier.

• Like 2

Prime Brazilian Ronaldo was the type of player you'd try to create on FIFA or something.

He had Adama Traore like speed and acceleration, plus Ronaldinho level skill and vision. An unbelievable finisher too, he once scored 47 goals as a teenager for Barcelona in a season. By 20 he had already scored 100 goals in senior European football. 

I'm certain if he hadn't been decimated by injuries he would have been the GOAT.

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You don't see all time greats like Zidane, Xavi and even Pep Guardiola calling out Lampard or Gerrard when talking about english footballers, it's always Scholes.

The most common names I've heard over the years mentioned by great overseas players when talking about English players they loved are Hoddle, LeTissier and Scholes - all of whom were criminally misused/underused by England.

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

The most common names I've heard over the years mentioned by great overseas players when talking about English players they loved are Hoddle, LeTissier and Scholes - all of whom were criminally misused/underused by England.

England should have played Gerrard as a box to box, Lampard as a free roaming midfielder and Scholes as a deep lying midfielder, but they were stuck in the past and played a pre historic 4-4-2.

--------------------------James------------------------

Neville--------Terry----Ferdinand---------Cole

--------------------------Scholes------------------------

-----------------Lampard----Gerrard------------

Beckham...........---Rooney-----------------J.Cole

Would rip teams apart

Â