Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Lionel Messi 2018/19

villalad21

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

Completely missed the point. Juve is an easier ask than performing as he did for Real Madrid. It’s the easiest ask going in European Football other than PSG (in terms of top sides). It isn’t a challenge at all.

Edit: Thus, how does he “earn points” for it?!

As I said in my original post, its my opinion. I'm not passing a legally binding statement! Ronaldo has performed at very top in the 3 'toughest' leagues in Europe. Yes, he's playing for elite team, as you say, but players like that do. Messi will never try his hand in another league, other than perhaps going to Argentina when he's older. He earns bonus points for me in that respect. 

I'm sure when leaving Madrid, he would have had easier options than Juve... maybe USA, China or the Middle East. Moving to a new top league in Europe at 33 had the potential to be a sticky situation - new country, new teammates, new style of football.. yet he's on fire now (after a fairly slow start). Winning the CL with Juve this year would be a great achievement. 

Messi is naturally a more talented player but Ronaldo is the pinnacle of someone who has made the very best of their ability. He could probably play on until 40, he's that dedicated. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Xela said:

As I said in my original post, its my opinion. I'm not passing a legally binding statement! Ronaldo has performed at very top in the 3 'toughest' leagues in Europe. Yes, he's playing for elite team, as you say, but players like that do. Messi will never try his hand in another league, other than perhaps going to Argentina when he's older. He earns bonus points for me in that respect. 

I'm sure when leaving Madrid, he would have had easier options than Juve... maybe USA, China or the Middle East. Moving to a new top league in Europe at 33 had the potential to be a sticky situation - new country, new teammates, new style of football.. yet he's on fire now (after a fairly slow start). Winning the CL with Juve this year would be a great achievement. 

Messi is naturally a more talented player but Ronaldo is the pinnacle of someone who has made the very best of their ability. He could probably play on until 40, he's that dedicated. 

USA, China or the Middle East aren't easier options than Juve.  Juve is as easy as it comes to be honest.  Of course, if he manages to guide them to a CL win then great.

9 hours ago, dakid007 said:

Champions league isn't a direct comparison. La liga is the only comparison that is fair

ronaldo has never been the best player in a cl final. Was anonymous for 1 for Utd and 2 for madrid. If you watch Madrid games you will know he is usually the match winner but not the best player

What a load of nonsense.

Just because Messi is shite at International tournaments and inferior in the Champions League, doesn't make him a better player. As soon as you start needing to make specific requirements to frame your argument, you're fighting a losing battle.

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think people are forgetting that Ronaldo has played a lot more matches in the Champions League, his goal to game ratio is less than Messi's.  At the end of the day you can cherry pick the stats but you can just tell Messi is the better player by watching them both.  Ronaldo is brilliant, but Messi does Ronaldo and David Silva's jobs at the same time.  Yesterday Barca were rocking a bit when Lyon were looking like equalising, so he just got the ball, left two players on the floor and scored, then set two more goals on a plate.

yep

his passing is somehow underrated

when the xavi + iniesta stuff gets thrown in to the debate to try and knock him the fact is his ability to pass the ball is every bit as good as theirs, he can do what they could do as well as get all the goals

• Like 1

and the problem with the CL stats is that its easy to forget messi is 2 years younger...

its very possible that by the time he hits 34 messi will have 124 goals and 5 trophies to his name too

and i really dont agree with the international stuff, Argentina are an absolute shambles and yet he's still managed to get to 3 finals, ronaldo 1 final 1 win in a game that he did absolutely nothing in

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

and the problem with the CL stats is that its easy to forget messi is 2 years younger...

its very possible that by the time he hits 34 messi will have 124 goals and 5 trophies to his name too

and i really dont agree with the international stuff, Argentina are an absolute shambles and yet he's still managed to get to 3 finals, ronaldo 1 final 1 win in a game that he did absolutely nothing in

Maybe but im sure 3/4 years ago Messi was top scorer in champions league

Ronaldo has always had people against him and in England its definite over 2006 incident with Rooney , he could score 10 goals in a game and be still looked down against 

Messi is like the Michael Jordan of football while Ronaldo is LeBron James...except they're both playing at the same time and the heated debate is happening right now!

Messi can do things with a football that nobody else on the planet can do...he can pretty much do pretty much what he wants when he wants, just like MJ was with the basketball. Ronaldo like LBJ is the athletic fitness freak who kept his body in tip top shape until his mid thirties and with unwavering dedication propelled himself to be the best for 15+ years.

Honestly, it becomes a matter of taste. I personally prefer the majestic, almost godlike qualities of Messi and Jordan compared to the superhumans CR7 and LBJ.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ronaldo has always had people against him and in England its definite over 2006 incident with Rooney

Nah, it's cos he's a cockwomble. Astonishing player and athlete, but also a petulant diving diva who is about as likeable as a Tory MP.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

What a load of nonsense.

Just because Messi is shite at International tournaments and inferior in the Champions League, doesn't make him a better player. As soon as you start needing to make specific requirements to frame your argument, you're fighting a losing battle.

Messi is superior in the CL though. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Except in goals, assists and trophies won

again 2 years younger

35 games behind ronaldo and 18 goals, 7 assists, 1 trophy 

within 2 years there is every danger he will catch those stats, pointless argument

https://twitter.com/BreatheMessi_/status/1106024326615183363?s=20

This is what makes Messi better imo, Ronnie swans about getting cross when things dont go his way, Messi gives his all to help his team.

Messi all day imo, Ronnie is an incredible athlete, but Messi is naturally better imo.

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

again 2 years younger

35 games behind ronaldo and 18 goals, 7 assists, 1 trophy 

within 2 years there is every danger he will catch those stats, pointless argument

You assume Ronaldo wont be still scorung in 2 years

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You assume Ronaldo wont be still scorung in 2 years

no i assume that if they both retire at 36 they will have the same record

the other assumption i make is that ronaldo will play for longer than messi so his stats will look better when in reality its just a case of more years / games rather than a reflection of ability

the CL stats do not split the 2 players

I find it amazing, the hard ons for specific players people get. 

They're both amazing. Who gives a **** if one has a better specific stat than the other?  Their likes probably won't be seen again for a while, so enjoy them as they begin the autumns of their careers. 

• Like 1

The thing is Ronaldo will always be a danger because of his threat in the air.

After Messi loses his pace he won't be the same player and will be much less of a threat. I can actually see Messi dropping deeper on the pitch since his passing abilities still is class.

Ronaldo is a tremendous athlete and footballer, but I think when you are talking who's the GOAT etc. you normally can feel it. Watching Ronaldo is to me like watching so many other fantastic world class players. From Bergkamp, Scholes, Totti, Ronaldo de lima (whom I would say is the best striker in history) to Maldini. They just are a joy to watch. But sometimes in life you observe magic. And Messi is magic. I've watched football for 30 years now and there are almost no footballers who could pick up a ball and just dominate. I'd probably say Ronaldinho in his prime is close, but hard to say. 

I have no interest in the GOAT debate, but people should just consider how lucky they are to live through the Messi era. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Nah, it's cos he's a cockwomble. Astonishing player and athlete, but also a petulant diving diva who is about as likeable as a Tory MP.

Bit harsh. He doesn't help himself on the football field, agreed, but he does a lot of good work off the pitch. Donates huge amounts of money to charity and a lot of time as well. Off the pitch you'll struggle to find many people who have a bad word to say about him. Messi probably does the same but he never suffers from a character assassination like Ronaldo.

Both truly all time greats. We are lucky to live in an era where they competed. 

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I don't think you can judge who's the best by stats alone. Even if Ronaldo finishes with more goals and more trophies I still think Messi is the better footballer. 

Yep, that's it for me.

Ronaldo might end up with better stats.

But when I watch them both play, Messi looks like the better player. He plays the game better.

It's probably a matter of taste. Ronaldo is still a phenomenally good player.

• Like 1

Â