Euro 2020 Draw

andykeenan

Any questions? :blink: :crylaugh:

UEFA EURO 2020 play-offs as they stand

The 16 UEFA Nations League group winners are all guaranteed at least a UEFA EURO 2020 play-off place, with each League destined to form its own play-off path. However, the exact composition will depend on how the teams perform during the ongoing European Qualifiers.

This article will be updated after each European Qualifiers matchnight; it was last updated at 22:45 CET on Sunday 17 November. Play-offs are subject to final confirmation from UEFA.

Current standings

On the basis of the current European Qualifiers standings, the following teams would be involved in the play-offs (teams in bold confirmed):

Path A: Iceland, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*, Wales/Slovakia/Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland**
Path B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Wales/Slovakia/Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland**
Path C: Scotland, Norway, Serbia, Bulgaria/Israel/Romania*
Path D: Georgia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Belarus

*In the current scenario, a draw would decide which of Bulgaria, Israel or Romania would fill the empty slot in Path C, and which two would go into Path A.

**In the current scenario, a draw would decide which three of Wales, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland would join Bosnia and Herzegovina in Path B, and which one would go into Path A.

All 55 member associations – including those 16 UEFA Nations League group winners – have the chance to qualify directly for UEFA EURO 2020, with the top two in each European Qualifiers group advancing directly to the tournament.

That leaves four EURO places to be determined via the play-offs. In theory, the four group winners will contest each League's own play-offs.

UEFA Nations League group winners

League A: England, Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland
League B: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Denmark, Sweden, Ukraine
League C: Finland, Norway, Scotland, Serbia
League D: Belarus, North Macedonia, Georgia, Kosovo

However, these play-offs do not take place until March 2020 – AFTER the conclusion of the conventional European Qualifiers. The EURO play-off berths of any UEFA Nations League group winners who qualify via the European Qualifiers will go to the next best-ranked team in their League.

Note: teams are ranked 1 to 55 according to their position in a group, points gained, goal difference, goals scored etc.

If a League does not have four teams to compete (say, for example, if ten of the 12 League A teams qualify automatically), the remaining slots are allocated to sides from another League in accordance with the overall UEFA Nations League rankings.

However, group winners cannot be placed in a play-off group with teams from a higher League. Therefore, should a play-off group including at least one group winner not have enough teams from the same League, the remaining spot(s) will have to be filled by teams from a lower League.

How will the play-off ties be decided?

The highest-ranked team in each path will play at home against the country ranked fourth, with the nations placed second hosting the third-placed teams in the other semi-final.

Unlike previous play-offs, these will be single-leg knockout matches, with the highest-ranked teams hosting each semi-final. The host for each path's play-off final will be drawn in advance on 22 November 2019.

https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/news/0254-0d40fc7db8ee-f6fe04623679-1000--play-offs-as-they-stand/

Good I hope a bunch of the hosting nations qualify through the Europa League play off so they are forced to have a new draw in March

Just to highlight how absurd this whole farce is 

In total, 24 teams will be drawn into six different groups. 20 teams come from the European Championship qualifier - the other four teams come from the Nations League playoff, which will be decided in March 2020. Which is a part of that.

The 24 teams will be divided into four different seed groups (six nations in each) as follows:

Group 1:  Group winners ranked 1-6
Group 2:  Group winners ranked 7-10 + best and second best group two
Group 3:  Group two ranked 3-8
Group 4:  Group two ranked 9-10 and four winners from the Nations League playoff

Sweden is currently ranked eighth best group two. But since extra parameters are to be included, it is not only to follow the above classification. For those countries among the 12 who organize the European Championships who also qualify for the tournament need to end up in a group where they can play matches at home.

there are political things to take into account that Russia and Ukraine cannot fall into the same group

There is even a small risk that there will be a new draw this spring.

- It will be chaos on November 30. Uefa has flagged that it can be so bad that you have to do the whole lottery in March

That scenario can happen if many hosting countries qualify through the Nations League playoff.

The European Championship 2020 is the first championship that does not take place in one or a few countries.

venues:

Group A: Italy (Rome) and Azerbaijan (Baku)

Group B: Russia (St. Petersburg), Denmark (Copenhagen)

Group 😄 Netherlands (Amsterdam), Romania (Bucharest)

Group 😧 England (London), Scotland (Glasgow)

Group E: Spain (Bilbao), Ireland (Dublin)

Group F: Germany (Munich), Hungary (Budapest)

European Championship ready teams:  Sweden, Finland, Belgium, Czech Republic, England, France, Italy, Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Turkey and Spain.

https://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=179&artikel=7345478

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Russia be a cracking group

Yeah.

Sadly apparently Sweden can no longer be placed in this group as both us and Denmark will be in the 3rd seeding group.

Much of the groups are already kinda half done due to seedings locations, but if a bunch of the hosting nations qualify through the Nations League play offs they'll have to re-do the draw in March :D 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Yeah.

Sadly apparently Sweden can no longer be placed in this group as both us and Denmark will be in the 3rd seeding group.

Much of the groups are already kinda half done due to seedings locations, but if a bunch of the hosting nations qualify through the Nations League play offs they'll have to re-do the draw in March :D 

I'm guessing most countries will have booked hotels etc for teams so that could cause problems.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is the travel really that bad though compared to a tournament in Brazil or USA for example

The number of flight available domestically in the US between big cities compared to flights between Copenhagen and St Petersburg , Rome and Baku and some other cities are literally miles apart.

As will the prices be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is the travel really that bad though compared to a tournament in Brazil or USA for example

England playing in London and then possibly having to go to St Petersburg for a KO game seems a bit stupid to me. Will see who gets the pleasure of Baku aswell

49 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Why not just make the draw when qualifying is complete?

The play offs for last 4 spots won't be finished until pretty much the start of April so teams want to know where they'll be a few months before so they arrange training and friendlies.

I guess with way this is being structured England will just base themselves outside London for the whole tournament.

Just now, VillaChris said:

The play offs for last 4 spots won't be finished until pretty much the start of April so teams want to know where they'll be a few months before so they arrange training and friendlies.

I guess with way this is being structured England will just base themselves outside London for the whole tournament.

But if the play off turns out "wrong" they'll have to have a new draw anyway because host countries Romania, Hungary, Scotland and Ireland can only go in their pre allocated groups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

never occurred to me until the last week that England, germany, Italy and spain would play all their group games at home, I always just assumed it would be random like every other tournament draw

De Bruyne has rightly pointed out that this tournament is a farce and should no be counted as a real Euro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

never occurred to me until the last week that England, germany, Italy and spain would play all their group games at home, I always just assumed it would be random like every other tournament draw

How fair is that for other teams? 

I understand the home nation in a normal tournament, but it looks like 'the big boys' of European football get the home advantage 'just because'.

What a farce. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

How fair is that for other teams? 

I understand the home nation in a normal tournament, but it looks like 'the big boys' of European football get the home advantage 'just because'.

What a farce. 

I agree. I'm also petty enough to find it funny that France will be raging they didn't get the same treatment!

Edited by Sam-AVFC

Â