Ratings & Reactions: Middlesbrough v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/18 at 23:59

The comparison between Bruce and Smith is simply incredible. We always knew we were a better side, it just needed a manager to get us to play like one.

• Like 2

We are utterly convincing. Twice in a month now, we’ve gone away to a promotion rival, whacked our cocks on the table and had an absolute orgy. We do not fear anyone, and I’m absolutely loving it. 

Sure, we’ll probably have defensive hiccups from time to time, but the transformation under Dean Smith’s leadership is quite sensational across the board. We are much better organised, much more compact and our pressing game, when it’s on, is a work of art. The attacking movement is sexy and creative, yet appears carefully planned and predictable for our players (while totally unpredictable to the poor sods trying to defend against them.) It’s obvious we’re working on the details, making every single player perform at twice the level they showed under Bruce (who was more interested in the details of the players’ dressing routines, for some reason.) I noticed today how much better we trap and receive the ball. Notice how easily we go past opponents, not just Grealish and Bolasie, but Taylor and Tuanzebe too, even Chester. 

MOTM? I’ve no idea. They were all excellent. Manager’s performance? Freaking fantastic. Ref’s performance? Don’t care. 

Up the Villa! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't think we would play like that.....such a complete performance in both defensive and offensive mode.

That for me is a watershed moment in our progress.

awesome display.

Yeah the defensive aspect was equally as impressive as the forward play, how quickly they got into a good defensive shape after losing possession was impressive. Teams must really be dreading having to face us now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

3 goals away against a team who had only conceded 10 goals in 19 games. No team is safe in this division against us! That should strike absolute fear into every single opponent. 

Hoorah !  : D 

Edited by robby b

That was great.

So, so much better with Hutton out of the side. Promising from Nyland after the mess against Forest. That the team is now being coached is so obvious, corners, throw-ins, goal-kicks\s. All the basics are showing improvement and its clear that the player's ability is now coming out, when they are simply trusted and empowered to play football. Big test against WBA on Friday given our defence, hopefully they have to put in a big effort on Monday.

:flag:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched game back and changed my motm to Chester. Much better captains performance. 

Agree that Chester was excellent, but I’ll leave him as second choice behind el ghazi who was also outstanding.   As was.... everybody.  

• Like 1

Watching the highlights again this morning and I think the game was summed up by their keeper Randolph;

The instinctive, confident one handed stop to Tammy’s shot in the first few minutes was the stop of a confident keeper who knew his side was the best defence in the league.

Then, Randolph bungling Whelan’s shot over the line late on was the save of a keeper who’s confidence was shaken and feeling the pressure of a leaky defence.

Interesting and great from our point of view.

Woke up this morning and genuinely buzzing about our team. For anyone who can recall  our Big Ron teams, it feels like that all over again.  Pleasure to watch and not fearing anyone.  Just pure entertainment week in week out. 

What is interesting for me is that I've now heard Smith say several times post match "it's something we've been working on", and that is music to my ears.  He's finding ways to improve us. He's also seeing our faults and doing something to rectify them.  That's a proper coach right there.  

We are by no means perfect, but dare I say it, we look as good as Wolves and Fulham last season going forward.  Free flowing and a real scoring threat every game.  We need to tweak this squad in January for sure - keeper, centre back and perhaps a left back, but I think that is all.    

Can we get promoted this season?  For sure, on this evidence, but can we catch the top two places?  Mmm, it's a big ask, but it's going to be fun giving it a helluva go!  UTV

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We are beautiful.

If I was a neutral I'd watch us every time we were on TV.

More of this please.

Perfectly said, OBE!

Villa will be the most broadcasted team with Dean Smith in charge.

• Like 1

We're eight points behind second-placed Leeds but we're playing them in three games from now, so... if we manage to beat them and Stoke and the Tescos, then at most we'll only be five points behind them, maybe less. And then we may also be just five points or even less from 2nd, depending on the results of the other teams above us. Come on!!!

Edited by robby b

Two things stand out for me. I think the save Nyland made pushing Hugail shot on to the bar was the big moment in the game. We go to 2-1 there they are right back in it. As DS said after the game, we have 4 clean sheets in the last 8 matches. It’s a decent record. 

Second listening to the Pulis interview made me realize how great it is not having a dinosaur in charge anymore. The entire interview was excuses. All about how the players he has aren’t good enough. It was like listening to SB all over again.

Anyway, fantastic result. On to West Brom on TV again. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Second listening to the Pulis interview made me realize how great it is not having a dinosaur in charge anymore. The entire interview was excuses. All about how the players he has aren’t good enough. It was like listening to SB all over again. 

Exactly this. 

The same players, yet such a difference in results and attitude. The interviews are just not comparable. Underdog mentality is ingrained in some mangers (of the past) where as our mentality is "let a kick some a**) 

And I'm loving it.

• Like 2

Â