Ratings & Reactions: Middlesbrough v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/18 at 23:59

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Watching the highlights again this morning and I think the game was summed up by their keeper Randolph;

The instinctive, confident one handed stop to Tammy’s shot in the first few minutes was the stop of a confident keeper who knew his side was the best defence in the league.

Then, Randolph bungling Whelan’s shot over the line late on was the save of a keeper who’s confidence was shaken and feeling the pressure of a leaky defence.

Interesting and great from our point of view.

Yeah it was fun watching Randolph go from Ballon d'Or to balloon fingers over 90 minutes.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I truly believe if we beat the Tescos next week we will be unstoppable and have promotion well in our sights.

I'll think that as well as long as we beat them convincingly. 

It's just that a tiny part of me thinks that Boro (at times) let us boss possession and I can't see that happening too often.

Deffo enjoying the style of play right now !

15 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I'll think that as well as long as we beat them convincingly. 

It's just that a tiny part of me thinks that Boro (at times) let us boss possession and I can't see that happening too often.

Deffo enjoying the style of play right now !

All our work has now become convincing.

They didn't let us do anything....We dominated the initiative and they were left wanting.

They had a couple of moments to be fair where they struck their own players back and Hugill struck the bar after a slight touch from Nyland.

but we dominated play in every aspect and should once again have had more goals.

I think Villa have now become the team that "you wouldn't bet against for promotion".....its similar to the Ron Saunders team that stormed up, brushing teams away with devastating style.

Blues, Boro and Derby have registered wins since we beat them.....so we are not beating also rans now, we are beating competent teams.

that alone is 10-2 that is convincing.

I do find it strange, that when we dominate teams, a view that the opposition have not played well, raises its ugly head.

Boro, will be thereabouts.

We just comprehensively dismantled, a tough team to beat.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I do find it strange, that when we dominate teams, a view that the opposition have not played well, raises its ugly head.

Boro, will be thereabouts.

We just comprehensively dismantled, a tough team to beat.

Again. Derby are a top team in this league as well. Or were until as the commentator said "The Aston Villa show has come to Riverside"  :)

I do not like Pulis style football but I will grant its effectiveness, I am still not sure how Smith & the team just completely took them apart at home like that and I just rewatched the game!

Happy days.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

I’m still buzzing. As has been mentioned, we’re far from the finished article and that’s precisely why it’s so damn exciting! Smith has us playing like we are with personnel he’s inherited. As he starts to strengthen and shape us further with his own additions - mouth watering!

I’m also delighted when I know he has several days to coach us, like between now and Friday. I’m confident they’re working hard, honing their skills and technique. I never had that feeling with Bruce. I’m usually impatient for games, but more than happy now to let the prep work its magic.

Brilliant stuff. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

I’m still buzzing. As has been mentioned, we’re far from the finished article and that’s precisely why it’s so damn exciting! Smith has us playing like we are with personnel he’s inherited. As he starts to strengthen and shape us further with his own additions - mouth watering!

I’m also delighted when I know he has several days to coach us, like between now and Friday. I’m confident they’re working hard, honing their skills and technique. I never had that feeling with Bruce. I’m usually impatient for games, but more than happy now to let the prep work its magic.

Brilliant stuff. 

Dean Smith, aka Prep Guardiola. 

• Like 3

That was such a complete performance. I was wow:ed by the second half at Leeds, but this was the most satisfying win so far. We looked in total control over the whole game. I thought we would struggle against what on paper looked like a very good Boro. But we just didn't give them any chance. The perhaps most encouraging thing is that no player really stood out. It was difficult to chose motm, at first when I couldn't pick one I got that feeling I have had for too many times over the last years that no one nor the team played particularily well, despite winning. Then I just reminded myself that we had played them off the park. It was a complete team performance! Thank you Dean Smith for what you have done!!

• Like 1

Absolutely thrilled with the 3 points yesterday and even more so with the performance.

I posted in the pre-match thread that I would consider playing Jedinak (if fit) to combat Middlesbrough's aerial threat and was concerned they would physically be too strong for us. Well maybe watching us under Bruce has made me negative because thst is precisely what he would have done. I was wrong. Bruce was wrong.

Smith picked another attacking team which bosses the game from start to finish, it was a joy to see our Villa pass and move, keep the ball, create chances, work hard for each other and the positivity of the manager is shining through each and every one of our players.

A real TEAM performance & difficult to give a MOTM to, I chose El Ghazi, but I could argue a case for at least 5 others which shows how well we are progressing under this new regime.

Happy for Nyland for keeping a clean sheet including the fine tip onto the bar, and kudos Smith for sticking by him in his team selection, I rated Dean's performance very good.

Only saw the highlights of Derby away, so (for me) this is the best performance of the season.

• Like 1

Â