Pre Match Chit Chat

Nigel

Seen quite a bit of them this season (as normal) and they are a very decent, very well organised and tight side with our very own Joe Lolley in fine form. It’s a tough game.

I still think we can beat them though.

Play of the front foot and take the game to them.

Presuming Adomah, Bjarnsson and Lansbury will not be fit for this one, but McGinn has recovered I would go;

Nyland

Elmo  Tuanzebe  Chester    Hutton

Hourihane

McGinn      Grealish 

Bolasie           Abraham        Kodjia 

Should be a decent game, can see it being a 1-1 draw, but hopefully can pinch all 3.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Looks as though we have sold around 29k home tickets for this which is 10k down on today. I know it is a night game but hopefully a few of those who don't go often but went today can again find their way down on Wednesday and we can shift another couple of thousand before the game.

We are putting something special together under Smith and the more of us there to support it the better.

Two home games in a few days a few weeks before Christmas is always going to stretch fans pockets. Add in that’s it’s a night game and available on Sky and I’d say north of 30k would be a very decent crowd.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Looks as though we have sold around 29k home tickets for this which is 10k down on today. I know it is a night game but hopefully a few of those who don't go often but went today can again find their way down on Wednesday and we can shift another couple of thousand before the game.

We are putting something special together under Smith and the more of us there to support it the better.

I think after today’s win, we will shift a few more. I think Forest are bringing around 2500 with them, so I reckon we will end up with around 33k. Be great if we could sell it out(apart from the upper trinity), but can’t see it. We’ve sold roughly the same amount already for Stoke in few weeks, but that’s a 3pm KO on a Saturday. 

As for the game, it’s another tough one, but one I think we will win. Forest are decent mind, so we will have to play well. Hopefully McGinn is fit. 2.1 Villa 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Two home games in a few days a few weeks before Christmas is always going to stretch fans pockets. Add in that’s it’s a night game and available on Sky and I’d say north of 30k would be a very decent crowd.

Yes I know finances often dictate mate but they have priced this game and the Stoke one well. I guess it doesn't help having such a big ground at times as even 30k leaves over 10k empty seats.

In fairness ever since I have followed us our crowds have gone up and down by thousands game to game. The worst I can remember was under Big Ron and one Saturday we played Palace at VP in front of around 20k and then a week later played Liverpool in front of a sell out at the time 44k. The Villa side didn't change only the opposition.

I don't think it will happen but I hope we aren't flat as a crowd on Wednesday. When we beat Wolves 4-1 last season and played QPR 3 days later it was like after the Lord Mayors show and we got less than 30k and no one seemed up for it. I'd imagine Smith though will be wary of that and hopefully ensure we make a quick start.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes I know finances often dictate mate but they have priced this game and the Stoke one well. I guess it doesn't help having such a big ground at times as even 30k leaves over 10k empty seats.

In fairness ever since I have followed us our crowds have gone up and down by thousands game to game. The worst I can remember was under Big Ron and one Saturday we played Palace at VP in front of around 20k and then a week later played Liverpool in front of a sell out at the time 44k. The Villa side didn't change only the opposition.

I don't think it will happen but I hope we aren't flat as a crowd on Wednesday. When we beat Wolves 4-1 last season and played QPR 3 days later it was like after the Lord Mayors show and we got less than 30k and no one seemed up for it. I'd imagine Smith though will be wary of that and hopefully ensure we make a quick start.

I’d expect it to be circa 29-31k at most in the circumstances. 

I was at that QPR match, I think the crowd were up for it but we were abysmal, I mean really really bad. I put the atmosphere down to the performance of the players not the other way around.

I get what you are saying and I’d love to see a big crowd on Wed but it’s unlikey, I think having two 42k attendances in the last few weeks when mid table in the Championship is pretty remarkable.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d expect it to be circa 29-31k at most in the circumstances. 

I was at that QPR match, I think the crowd were up for it but we were abysmal, I mean really really bad. I put the atmosphere down to the performance of the players not the other way around.

I get what you are saying and I’d love to see a big crowd on Wed but it’s unlikey, I think having two 42k attendances in the last few weeks when mid table in the Championship is pretty remarkable.

I am not knocking us mate. We are the best supported club in this division both home and away so I'd be pissing in the wind to knock our support. There is something really worth watching now though and we can make a difference so the more there on Wednesday obviously the better.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Sounds like McGinn will be out and we've lost Adomah and Lansbury today. They join Bjarnason, Jedinak, Bree and Davis on the injury list.

I think:

---------------------------------Nyland----------------------------------

Hutton----------Tuanzebe----------Chester---------Taylor

----------------------------------Whelan-------------------------------

--------------------Hourihane----------Grealish-----------------

Bolassie------------------------------------------------------Kodjia

---------------------------------Abraham------------------------------

Dependent on Bolassie's fitness, we may see the lesser spotted El Ghazi at some point.

Bench of:

Bunn, Elmohamady, Hogan, El Ghazi, O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes and Bedeau?

We're a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not knocking us mate. We are the best supported club in this division both home and away so I'd be pissing in the wind to knock our support. There is something really worth watching now though and we can make a difference so the more there on Wednesday obviously the better.

No I know you aren’t mate, wish I could make it myself.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sounds like McGinn will be out and we've lost Adomah and Lansbury today. They join Bjarnason, Jedinak, Bree and Davis on the injury list.

I think:

---------------------------------Nyland----------------------------------

Hutton----------Tuanzebe----------Chester---------Taylor

----------------------------------Whelan-------------------------------

--------------------Hourihane----------Grealish-----------------

Bolassie------------------------------------------------------Kodjia

---------------------------------Abraham------------------------------

Dependent on Bolassie's fitness, we may see the lesser spotted El Ghazi at some point.

Bench of:

Bunn, Elmohamady, Hogan, El Ghazi, O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes and Bedeau?

We're a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

I think that is spot on and it is unfortunately almost at the stage now due to injuries where the team picks itself. It is still an excellent first 11 but the bench is now looking a little weak.

Fortunately most are only short term injuries and we should hopefully have three or four back in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by markavfc40

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I know it's moot but that Liverpool game was deanos debut. Him playing against the team we bought him from who happened to have a great side too.

It was no wonder that sold out!

Not really going to compare against palace.

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd agree. That game was awful and it was one of those from the first 5 minutes you could just tell we were going to have a bad night.

• Like 2