EFL TV deal and League Splits

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Wouldn't xia have to keep pouring money in himself to keep his percentage alive, otherwise it gets weakened overtime if others are putting money in and he isn't rite??

Also is there a thread where the current state of this TV deal is being talked?? I don't see one.. I think it's real bad that the lowest of premier league clubs are getting 100mill a season, yet championship clubs are seeing 100k a game or 10k if they are the away team, its proper rubbish that is.

There is a graphic doing the rounds which shows the absurdity of the current situation, but I don't know how to display it.

Would imagine your situation is similar if not quite as extreme.

%age of games shown on live TV so far this season  Man City 69% Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all 62%, Leeds 55%, MUFC and Wolves 54%

Anticipated TV revenues for this season, 6 clubs between 90 and 100 million, one approximately 6 million.

Our owner has been talking about PL2 for a while now, crazy that Sky get so much value from the top 6 or 8 Championship clubs, but pay the money to the likes of Huddersfield and Bournemouth, who they show as little as possible.

I think a group of clubs realise this deal sells them way short. Not sure whether it'll go anywhere, but I believe our owner is meeting your powers that be and others at Villa Park today, is that right ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hooter said:

There is a graphic doing the rounds which shows the absurdity of the current situation, but I don't know how to display it.

%age of games shown on live TV so far this season  Man City 69% Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all 62%, Leeds 55%, MUFC and Wolves 54%

Anticipated TV revenues for this season, 6 clubs between 90 and 100 million, one approximately 6 million.

Our owner has been talking about PL2 for a while now, crazy that Sky get so much value from the top 6 or 8 Championship clubs, but pay the money to the likes of Huddersfield and Bournemouth, who they show as little as possible.

I think a group of clubs realise this deal sells them way short. Not sure whether it'll go anywhere, but I believe our owner is meeting your powers that be and others at Villa Park today, is that right ?

I think our club villa earnt as little as 1 million for last season in 19 appearances on tv which is shockingly out of order considering what premier league clubs are pulling in. Aston Villa are not the only big club in the championship and there are alot from the championship that pull in just as many fans than what some of the premiere league clubs do. It's obvious something needs to change as championship clubs are being ripped off. It's pretty clear that the championship struggles way more than what the premier does and with all the FFP going on as of late, every pound counts I guess.

I can't see the EFL/SKY paying more to championship clubs anytime soon which would suggest to me the only option which has already been mentioned would be to break away from the league. It would be a statement and half would it not if today all while at Villa Park those clubs that are there would choose to do this all while at the stadium that has the William McGregor statue outside at a club that helped created the first football league. It probably won't happen a break away but what if it did, it certainly would be historical that's for sure and because it is Aston villa I would imagine there would be alot of clubs following from the championship and possibly lower leagues.

The EFL and SKY really need to careful about there deal, if they continue to pay low for each game in the championship it could come back to bite them. Paying 24 teams in the championship around 1 million a season (not all clubs are earning even half that I bet) which totals up to 25 million a season for all 24 clubs is greed. While there tv broadcast deal is earning 600 million over five years says exactly what is wrong with all this, it certainly needs sorting out.

3 hours ago, hooter said:

This piqued my interest. I believe, but could be wrong, that it’s currently 41% of Villa games so far have been shown on Sky this season. 

Although once Villa have played Leeds in December and reached the halfway point in the season, that figure will have increased to just over 52% as we have a lot televised matches between now and then.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
Forgot that the Bolton game was also on the telly so % corrected

14 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This piqued my interest. I believe, but could be wrong, that it’s currently 35% of Villa games so far have been shown on Sky this season. 

Although once Villa have played Leeds in December and reached the halfway point in the season, that figure will have increased to just under 50% as we have a lot televised matches between now and then.

It is crazy, 7 out of our last 8 games have been on Sky, as with yourselves they know that we will pull in a multiple of the viewers that Rotherham/Bolton/Preston etc will. Yet we get almost exactly the same money as them, arguably less if you allow for some reduction in gates (particularly away fans but also home in midweek). Oh and the ball-ache of fixtures being moved left, right and centre.

I can understand why the larger EFL clubs are saying enough is enough. 

44 minutes ago, hooter said:

It is crazy, 7 out of our last 8 games have been on Sky, as with yourselves they know that we will pull in a multiple of the viewers that Rotherham/Bolton/Preston etc will. Yet we get almost exactly the same money as them, arguably less if you allow for some reduction in gates (particularly away fans but also home in midweek). Oh and the ball-ache of fixtures being moved left, right and centre.

I can understand why the larger EFL clubs are saying enough is enough. 

Great point on gate reduction. As Sky play all mid-week games, we are regularly down around 10k. Affectively the big club is losing £200k every mid week home match. 

Latest Sat attendances

Sheff Wed 35k

Swansea 41k

Small Heath - 42/43k sell out.

Tuesday/Wednesday Attendances

Preston - 27k

Rotherham - 27k

Bolton - 30k

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

dont we all get a fair split and then an appearance fee?

if football manager taught me anything its that you get £1.2m in the PL everytime you are TV (but they dont like to talk about it that much because under FFP you start to realise the "fairness" of the deal when UTD are on 30 times a season and brighton are on the minimum 8 or whatever it is)

i am guessing that the 2 sheffield clubs took the kings shilling when they agreed to play friday night, the policing costs would be higher but the sky appearance fee would cover it and a bit more

There is a split then a small appearance fee (about 100k home team, less away team). The point being it isn't a fair split, unless each team is on roughly the same amount of times, they know they are buying the rights to show Leeds, Villa, Derby, Sheff clubs,  Forest, WBA and whoever else is challenging in a particular season. They couldn't give a stuff about showing Rotherham, and will only do so if it involves one of the above, but Rotherham get almost identical TV revenue to the others.

This is the reason the bigger clubs are pissed off.

Yes similar issues in PL but big 6 do have Euro money too.

Edited by hooter

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

This piqued my interest. I believe, but could be wrong, that it’s currently 41% of Villa games so far have been shown on Sky this season. 

Although once Villa have played Leeds in December and reached the halfway point in the season, that figure will have increased to just over 52% as we have a lot televised matches between now and then.

Just looked at ours including what has been announced up to mid Jan, we're also on a lot over the next few weeks.

Our game v Derby on 11th Jan will be our 27th League game of the season, 19 of them will have been on Sky, just over 70% of our matches....

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Burnley against Newcastle is the next monday night football game. They will earn more for that game that nobody will watch than we will for having 20 odd games rearranged to be shown live on sky 😕

seems hardly fair to me.

12 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Burnley against Newcastle is the next monday night football game. They will earn more for that game that nobody will watch than we will for having 20 odd games rearranged to be shown live on sky 😕

It’s bullshit. Corrupt crap. How can the bottom team in the league get 100m and the team that’s top in efl scrapes 10m? 

Well I've just read there are about 15 or so clubs from the championship ready to form a breakaway PL2 which if happens is a bombshell.

The EFL and SKY need to sort this out and pay the club's more,  at a time a new deal get sealed they are asking for trouble and the club's will walk from the league which throws a whole season up in the air and possibly next season also.

Imagine a walkout and what it could do to the championship, more clubs would no doubt have to be promoted from the lower league and demoted from the premier to fill the championship, just to fill the championship back up.

Then there for all we know if this break away happens if other clubs in other leagues feel they are hard done by as well, they too could end up joining this new league or what could  be a whole new set of leagues, could turn football into absoloute madness for a while.

It's obvious the EFL and SKY have greed on there minds and them not paying the club's what they really should be earning from broadcasts.

If an all new league is formed and by the club's that sign this deal, could sky then create a completely new deal that is with the club's directly and all money in that deal goes to the club's who run or are in that league??

Edited by Dave-R

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s bullshit. Corrupt crap. How can the bottom team in the league get 100m and the team that’s top in efl scrapes 10m? 

Excellent article on this by Accrington's chairman today;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/18/championship-not-tin-pot-division-clubs-right-demand-cash/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

There is just one place between the Premier League's bottom club and the Championship winners in the pyramid, but there is a gulf in broadcast revenue of almost £100 million.

The Championship is not some tin-pot division sitting beneath the Premier League now, it is a major league and big business. Owners such as Andrea Radrizzani at Leeds United are serious operators, and they are going to bring their experience to bear on issues like this. 

In Radrizzani's case, he owns a media company. He knows the value of broadcast rights and you cannot fob off people like that, they need to be listened to.

He also tweeted this today;

"The issue is that Leeds v. Aston Villa rights are worth more than 1/50th of Fulham v. Huddersfield. Sky don't get 1/50th of the viewers for Leeds which is why they are never off the telly. They get Leeds for buttons."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hooter said:

Excellent article on this by Accrington's chairman today;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/18/championship-not-tin-pot-division-clubs-right-demand-cash/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

There is just one place between the Premier League's bottom club and the Championship winners in the pyramid, but there is a gulf in broadcast revenue of almost £100 million.

The Championship is not some tin-pot division sitting beneath the Premier League now, it is a major league and big business. Owners such as Andrea Radrizzani at Leeds United are serious operators, and they are going to bring their experience to bear on issues like this. 

In Radrizzani's case, he owns a media company. He knows the value of broadcast rights and you cannot fob off people like that, they need to be listened to.

He also tweeted this today;

"The issue is that Leeds v. Aston Villa rights are worth more than 1/50th of Fulham v. Huddersfield. Sky don't get 1/50th of the viewers for Leeds which is why they are never off the telly. They get Leeds for buttons."

You have the same problem as us.....The clubs are built for the Premier League.

We both have to get back.

Several Championship clubs are "gravely concerned" by the EFL board's announcement it has approved a new domestic broadcasting rights deal.

Club officials met on Tuesday to discuss the £595m five-year agreement that has been signed with Sky Sports.

They say the deal has been done without them being fully consulted.

"Nineteen clubs from the league wrote to the EFL asking them not to sign the deal and to engage in meaningful discussions," said a statement.

The statement, from "several unnamed clubs", said they felt they had been "ignored".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46282788

6 minutes ago, hooter said:

Several Championship clubs are "gravely concerned" by the EFL board's announcement it has approved a new domestic broadcasting rights deal.

Club officials met on Tuesday to discuss the £595m five-year agreement that has been signed with Sky Sports.

They say the deal has been done without them being fully consulted.

"Nineteen clubs from the league wrote to the EFL asking them not to sign the deal and to engage in meaningful discussions," said a statement.

The statement, from "several unnamed clubs", said they felt they had been "ignored".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46282788

reminds me of something else that's topical

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

You have the same problem as us.....The clubs are built for the Premier League.

We both have to get back.

That is why the clubs should break away and make a second premier league,it is obvious the EFL isnt respecting the big clubs thathave fallen out of the premiership. Not to mention making the gap in money coming in a season from broadcasts between bottom premiere sides and top/big championship clubs,the gap is to absurd and disgusting.

The only way I see it getting sorted is if the breakaway and a newly formed league happens because the EFL are laughing at our clubs not to mention all the way to the bank with the money they are raking in and not paying out.

It's similar to life really what's going on here, if your not in the premier they are saying your club isn't getting anything like what the premier clubs are all while saying the premier is of a higher class than the championship and the rest aren't worth anything there for your in the lower class compared to the higher class.

Everywhere where money is concerned there is greed, control and power and just when you think football had gone out of control with big money signing in the 90s. Now we have this effecting our game, a new low in football and it's one hell of a disgrace from the EFL makes your blood boil it does..

Â